my system freezes . urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

amargupta

Right off the assembly line
my name is amar gupta. new memeber of forum.
my computer description
P4 processor 2.8 Ghz,HT technology. mPGA
Intel original D82865GBF motherboard.
1.23GB RAM.( 512 X 3 and 256 X 1)
80 GB seagate baracuda HDD.
L.G Dvd Rom, Samsung 52x cd writer.
onboard graphics memory 64 MB.
Mercury Tv Capture card.
monitor 17" samsung
Smps 300w
i have updated my BIOS with version BF86510A.86A.0077.P25.EB. earlier BIOS version was BF86510A.86A.0060.P16.EB. after updating BIOS i start getting some problem.my system starts freezing. but it happens once in 2 or 3 days. after 1 month updating my BIOS i have decided to buy a graphics card. i have purchased a graphics card of big-tek manufacturer with nvidia chipset. 256mb nvidia geforce fx 5500 AGP 8x. That day when i put that card my computer runs smoothly. that day i havent installed the driver for it as the driver provid by the manufacturer was old 71.30 version. windows xp automatically installed the driver for it. then i have downloaded the latest driver(ver 91.31) from the nvidia site and installed it. now my system starts more freezing. hangs in between or even at bootup.i have tried to boot in safe mode but there also while booting it hangs.i dont know why this is happening but i am in big trouble now. help me out.
bios version of graphics card is 4.34.20.27.06.i will be very thankfull to them who can help me.

regards
amar gupta

gaurav_indian

CG Artist
I think you need to check whether your SMPS is working well.And do try to install your operating system again.Even if this problem arises then contact the hardware engineer may be you have messed up with your BIOS settings.

shashank4u

Youngling
yep , smps might be the culprit here,
u have around 2 year old system check yr bus connecting to the
harddisk , try changing it.

OP
A

amargupta

thanks for the reply buddy, but i would like to wait for some more expert comments from the members of this forum. do you think that 300w smps is not enough for my system. another members please help me out. i am in big trouble.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You should not update BIOS just like that. Update BIOS when everything fails.
I think the problem lies with updated BIOS. Did you backup the old version of BIOS?
Now restore the older version of BIOS. See how things work. You have to go step-by-step,
& find the culprit & fix the problem. Don't be in a hurry.

OP
A

amargupta

no friends i havent stored the backup of older Bios. but the Bios version is available on the intel website. but i want to know one thing dont you people think that 300w smps is not enough for my system. i think only three things can happen. either windows xp files have been corrupted or Bios problem and Smps problem. anyway i will welcome all your advices.

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
it appears to be a problem of bios only. Since you don't have your previous bios settings with you, it is advisable to call a hardware engineer.

dix

Broken In
check the whole system by first removin the cards, then try with only 1 stick of ram,

bukaida

In the zone
According to your present configuration, 300watt SMPS is not just enough.
Go for a good 400watt SMPS. It solves the power hunger of your computer.Todays p4 cpu and modern graphics cards require lots of power.BTW usually P4 SMPS starts from 350watt. Are u sure yours is 300watt?

uttoransen

Broken In
the solution:

first things first:
go to start ==> run ==> cmd ==> type in sfc /scannow
you might need the windows xp cd,
this is the system file checker for windows xp, i think you have some system file missing, might solve the problem,

bios updates are risky, in most cases mother boards becomes a waste, means a new mother board, most likely new prosesors and ram, any ways don't think so bad yet, uninstall all the drivers and reinstall them,

if the problem still stays, just not down the exact time of the freeze, that is from the time it boots to time of freeze, if the time is exact, second to second, every time, means you have a prosessor fault,
if not then you have ram fault, you can check the ram fault easily as you have lots of rams, just put one by one and see which is the result of the hangs, i think that the 256mb might be the coulprit, as i think you might have one of those at different frequency, i.e. mhz, anyways, after all this, you will defenitely get the solution,

still if you don't get it, mail at uttoransen@yahoo.com and i will tell you some more,

OP
A

amargupta

i have removed one 512 mb ram and other 256 mb ram. my system runs for around 15 mins but once i left it out for 5 min it again freezes. then after that two times i tried to start it up but once while scanning disk for errors and 2nd time when i have started it the windows xp splash on screen. what to do i dont know, i think i am in big trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom