my mobo is fried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

goobimama

 Macboy
There was some lightning and stuff, and someone forgot to remove the power plug from the socket. So, my motherboard is friend.

Its a 845 board supporting SD RAM, and I had recently packed in 640MB of RAM into it. The Processor running was a 1.6Ghz intel processor, so, what do I do now? Can I buy an 845 board supporting SD RAM? I don't think that's possible. Or is anyone out there wanting to sell a second hand 845 board supporting SD RAM?

Also, what would a new board cost, preferably original intel board. I was thinking of putting in an 865 based board, would that be a wise decision considering I have a P4 1.6 Ghz processor? (I don't mind changing the RAM).

Thanks in advance.

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
Here's my setup. Power comes in from a normal socket. It goes through one spike buster.... from where it goes into another spike buster(specific reasons)....then to the UPS and then to the computer. Now the power wasn't even on and this still happened. There was a problem with the earthing of the electrical system which is why this happened (I think). The earthing thing is temporarily fixed though...

Having a well earthed power point should be a priority. I have this spike buster (Odyssey) which has an LED indicator for earthing (called 'ground open' or something like that). Get one of these if you can.

We had a severe thunderstorms with lightning strikes all around last evening. Saw the UPS contact spark once, but no trouble.

Power surges through phone lines can cause problems if you have an onboard modem.

Keith

D

Deleted member 5901

yeh Better get urself good earthing !!! nd a good UPS and then Just pary that ur LUCKY enough that it does'nt happen again !!!

CHEERS !!!

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
I know I know I know. I didn't ask about the earthing did I? I know that its very importantant and we are going to have a separate earthing cable and stick it in a hole 6 feet deep right outside my window. I also know about the onboard modem thing, though I have an external one.

Anyway, I will be going in for an 845 based board, maybe not original intel, but whatever....

Milind

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
If u still habvent purchased a mobo, i think u shud go in for a Intel D865 Original mobo coz that will support sum additional features like a DDR RAM and a graphics card port (if u want to plug in one,i mean) :)

The 865 intel mobo will be far more efficient in carrying out ur computational needs

U can also visit this link to know more abt the various mobo available:
*www.intel.com/products/motherbd/index.htm?iid=HPAGE+header_products_motherboards&

Also see the Motherboard Comparison test (in PDF format) on the same page in the selection tools box

cheers n peace... :)

OP
goobimama

goobimama

 Macboy
@ashumashu: I looked at the Intel 865 board and yes, its more feature rich than the 845 (of course). But the 845 also supports DDR 400 and AGP 4x. It was perfect for me. +, the 865 didn't support my P4 1.6 Ghz......

So, I got an ASUS P4GE-MX based on the 845 chipset. I also bought DDR 400 of Transcend high performance RAM. System is working like an angel now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom