My Core i5, RX 480 PC rebooting when starting game, looks like PSU is culprit

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I did. The PC ran fine at that time. But isn't it possible that the PC was rebooting because of some loose wire connection? And when I swapped the PSU the issue was resolved?

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Again maybe. Can you test this PSU in some other system and perform a test in that system?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Again maybe. Can you test this PSU in some other system and perform a test in that system?
It's difficult to replicate the issue in another system since it would only work if it's on heavy load.
I would rather test my own system with some other PSU, which I already did and PC didn't reboot when I did.

I think the issue is resolved temporarily and it will resurface again. I just need to do some tests, which I am not of right now.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
It's difficult to replicate the issue in another system since it would only work if it's on heavy load.
I would rather test my own system with some other PSU, which I already did and PC didn't reboot when I did.

I think the issue is resolved temporarily and it will resurface again. I just need to do some tests, which I am not of right now.

Ah. How much did you pay for the new one btw?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you take into account UPS in these tests?I mean do tests with your old psu with/without UPS or with fully charged/partially charged UPS batteries.If caps are the issue then there are more chances of psu issue coming up during powercut/resume when switchover happens between mains & UPS power.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Did you take into account UPS in these tests?I mean do tests with your old psu with/without UPS or with fully charged/partially charged UPS batteries.If caps are the issue then there are more chances of psu issue coming up during powercut/resume when switchover happens between mains & UPS power.
Umm no. I didn't take into account UPS. But I could easily replicate the PC being shutdown as a direct result of starting the OCCT benchmark. Now though no matter how much I game, how much I run the OCCT benchmark, my PC seems to be working A-ok.

I also just placed an hour of Crew 2 (open beta) on Ultra settings. No reboot. I think my PC trolled me hard af. -__-

Any up to buy a sealed packed TX650M? :(

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Umm no. I didn't take into account UPS. But I could easily replicate the PC being shutdown as a direct result of starting the OCCT benchmark. Now though no matter how much I game, how much I run the OCCT benchmark, my PC seems to be working A-ok.

I also just placed an hour of Crew 2 (open beta) on Ultra settings. No reboot. I think my PC trolled me hard af. -__-

Any up to buy a sealed packed TX650M? :(

Mere bhai 1 baat yaad rakhna, jab kismat ho gandu to kya karega pandu.

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
If the issue is because of caps , then electrolytic caps do have self healing properties..

I DON'T suggest to use that old PSU and game on that.. And NOT to experiment with it trying to put load on it to see if it is working or not..

Your old PSU even though appear to be working , may not have lot of life as it is So your new investment isn't waste .. And we can only guess about what kind of ripple it is outputting..

Use the new PSU ,

If the issue doesn't appear again after a month with new PSU then you can be pretty sure it was related to old PSU..

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
If the issue is because of caps , then electrolytic caps do have self healing properties..

I DON'T suggest to use that old PSU and game on that.. And NOT to experiment with it trying to put load on it to see if it is working or not..

Your old PSU even though appear to be working , may not have lot of life as it is So your new investment isn't waste .. And we can only guess about what kind of ripple it is outputting..

Use the new PSU ,

If the issue doesn't appear again after a month with new PSU then you can be pretty sure it was related to old PSU..
Damn, you are scaring me.
Alright, I think I will use my new PSU and put the CX430V2 idle, possibly to be used with some secondary PC.

Once I install the TX650 I am planning to open the CX430V2 and to see if there any physical signs of aging of the caps. I know the caps can have charge and I may get an electric shock, but I can be careful.

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Damn, you are scaring me.
Alright, I think I will use my new PSU and put the CX430V2 idle, possibly to be used with some secondary PC.

Once I install the TX650 I am planning to open the CX430V2 and to see if there any physical signs of aging of the caps. I know the caps can have charge and I may get an electric shock, but I can be careful.

Not worth it.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So, I finally upgraded my PC from CX430 V2 to TX 650M. And I can feel my PC is happy. (Why wouldn't it?).

Here are some pics (from album: Installing Corsair TX 650M)

*i.imgur.com/qUWCTJO.jpg

*i.imgur.com/UjgYeYL.jpg

*i.imgur.com/HbtZnsV.jpg

Please don't mind the cable management. I just zip-tied all the cables in top corner.

I got a wire of these pins (I think EU version), so I would need to use a converter. So right now I had to use the old power cable.
My question is that the new plug says it's 13A 250V, while the old power cable said 7A, 250V. So is old cable bad for this new PSU?

*i.imgur.com/jXiThvX.jpg

Also these two 4-Pin 12V CPU cable is joined in a strange way. I can't separate the two cables, since I only needed one 4-pin 12V CPU cable.

*i.imgur.com/zTDs7Qo.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help. Now I will see if my PC reboots again or not.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
While I would like a new cabinet I don't think I "need" it right now.
Maybe when I make a new PC with water cooler and dual GFX and LEDs.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Nah man, dual GPU, water cooling and LEDs are all gimmicks, even I planned to do all that with my PC, but ended up not doing it because its just useless. Would rather spend the money on storage etc. My PC isnt a looker just like yours :p

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Nah man, dual GPU, water cooling and LEDs are all gimmicks, even I planned to do all that with my PC, but ended up not doing it because its just useless. Would rather spend the money on storage etc. My PC isnt a looker just like yours :p
I would rather spend money on safety (like PSU), and performance like SSD and graphics (like GFX) , then make it look all flashy. xD

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look at cpu cable connector carefully there should be a fine line there. You should be able to split apart the connector(only upto the cable) along that line.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Look at cpu cable connector carefully there should be a fine line there. You should be able to split apart the connector(only upto the cable) along that line.
I ain't opening my cabinet until I need to clean it up, or until another issue crops up.

Thanks all of you folks here. One more issue can be closed in the books. (For now atleast).

Top Bottom