My C drive space problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

snehit

Broken In
I HAVE FORMATTED SYSTEM PARTITION WITH ONLY 6.15 GB. That is enough for my 20 GB HDD. XP Pro with SP2 installed on that drive but space problem sucks. Now only 200 MB left. What I'm gonna do?

Is there any software that can show where the space has been used? 'Cuz I have already moved my "Temporary Internet Files on E:\. My all programs are on D:\. Page file is again on E:\

I frequently delete Temp folder.

Now what else I can do?

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Move My Documents folders too to other partition if u haven't done it so far.

You can reduce the amount of space reserved for system restore points and recycle bin on C: to get some more free space. Run CCleaner and Windows disk free up utility as well.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
move your pagefile to another partition and next do what above posters said

OP
S

snehit

Broken In
Hi, rose tamang

Of course! that is there but what is solution for now. I am not going to waste my number of hours to install all the applications. Dude !!!! In fact, I already have 500 GB external drive. So only problem of space is for system partition.

unni

In the zone
If you regularly update Windows XP, you can go to C:\Windows folder and delete all folders named like "$NtUninstallKB954459$". I used to regularly do this when I was using Windows XP. The only problem in deleting these is that you won't be able to roll-back (uninstall) any of the updates.

Another issue that I used to face was with AVG. In my Windows XP system, one AVG folder (I think the path was C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\AVG) used to become huge (sometimes reaching 4-5 GB) after updating. I used to delete all the files in that folder.

If you have Windows Media Center and record programs from TV, you can delete those recordings. Also, I have seen some times Nero Vision leaving the temporary files if I cancel an encoding.

You can also disable hibernation if it is enabled.

If there is no other way, I suggest you to increase the partition size using Acronis Disk Director. I think one of the magazines (like Digit) gave Paragon Partition Manager full edition for free during the last or previous to last month. I haven't used it, but may be you can try that as well. I used GParted for resizing my 250 GB Vista partition which came with my laptop for installing Ubuntu.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
try disk space explorer
go to start>run and type %temp% see if there are any big files over there. generally when a program is installed it is extracted to this directory first and the temporary files are not deleted after installation. Sometimes this folder can get very huge.
for instance I just checked whether %temp% was the right thing or not and noticed that it was 1.84 GB on my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom