My AMD Dual core rig..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toocool

Journeyman
AMD Athlon 4200+ X2 (depends on the price, if its high might go in for 3800+ X2)
Motherboard not yet Decided.
17 inch Samsung TFT Monitor (SyncMaster 710N)
1 GB DDR2 RAM (512 * 2)
300 GB SATA (or 160 * 2)
Benq or LiteON DVD Writer
DVD/CD RW Combo Drive
Graphics Card not yet decided
Creative Inspire 5.1 Speakers
Creative Live Sound card
Logitech Cordless Keyboard and Mouse

This is the config that i have planned for... need help to choose a great motherboard..

And also need help with the graphics card.. I dont want to spend 10k on a 6600.. becoz i am not a gamer.. I usually work on Photoshop, 3D max etc.. So the graphics card is important.. i need a good one but it should be reasonably priced.. around 4k or so..

Any more suggestions.. Please do post.. Thank you...

G

gxsaurav

go for 3800+ X2, it's a lot cheaper then 4200+, simply overclock if u need to, it can be overclocked to 2100 MHz with no increse in temprature

for motherboard I say Asus A8N-E for PCI-W or Asus A8V for AGP8X

since there will be no gaming, get a Geforce 6600 non ultra or if cheap & available a FX5900XT but with 256 MB RAM, that will do, as 3d animation depends on OpenGL, something at which nvidia excels

1 GB RAM is good, but DDR2, better go for DDR400, it's cheap & DDR2 won't give u much benifit in case of Athlon64 3800+ X2

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
go for 3800+ x2 lot cheaper then 4200+ and it wont make much diff.go for either of these mobo-Asus A8N-E or MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum.and from where dis ddr2 come from does AMD mobo support ddr2?i dun think so correct me if i m wrong.

funkymonkey

Journeyman
actiually none of the X2 series is yet available here.
It should be available within few weeks and exact pricing will be known by that time only but dont expect it to be less than 20K for X2 3800+
And AMD dosent even support DDR2 yet so thats out of question.
For 3dsmax and Maya there is no need of a good graphic card unless you can afford professional card or ready to buy the card that can be softmoded.
Unless you need the features of the professional graphic card any cheap card like 6200 is fine as you can always use software rendering where CPU does the rendering in Maya and 3dsmax.

OP
T

Toocool

Journeyman
funkymonkey said:
actiually none of the X2 series is yet available here.
It should be available within few weeks and exact pricing will be known by that time only but dont expect it to be less than 20K for X2 3800+
And AMD dosent even support DDR2 yet so thats out of question.
For 3dsmax and Maya there is no need of a good graphic card unless you can afford professional card or ready to buy the card that can be softmoded.
Unless you need the features of the professional graphic card any cheap card like 6200 is fine as you can always use software rendering where CPU does the rendering in Maya and 3dsmax.

Which motherboard do you suggest?? I need a good one..

ASH18MARCH

Journeyman
funky monkey can i ask u one thing who told u that dual cor 3800 x2 will be coming soon in a few weeks also as per my information 3800 x2 will cost 24 thousand -2 at the most

D

deepakd

put maximum amount of ur money in MOB and processor. look for tyan MOB and an opteron pro. with these as basic u can easily build a workstation in future. as the next installment u can add a mid end quadro (1400/3000) card.
as for HDD instead of 2 160 drives. put 1 10000 rpm raptor as primary drive where u work on the applications and for backup and storage get a high capacity 7200 rpm drive(any brand)
dual core is useless when comes to maya and max. coz they are single threaded.

magnet

Youngling
funky ment it wont b less than 20k....and i too guess it will b ard 24k......but dual core will b usefull for animation becoz multiple programs can run concurrently....for gaming purpose its useless presently

funkymonkey

Journeyman
exactly. I meant that it wont be below 20K looking at the prices of the SD 3700+
I have my sources regarding AMD processors ;)
ETA on X2 is still unknown even to the importers.But there is a possibility of first lot comming in the next AMD shipment to India. But its still unconfirmed.
Anyway as far as the motherboard is concern then SLI solution is useless for this guy. So better save moeny and get something like ASUS A8N-E which will cost you around 6.5-7K depending on your location.
Cost of building Opteron system is not justified unless you are a pro or working in some enterprise that needs that kind of system. The problem is availability of CPU and motherboard and also ECC RAM that is needed fro opteron.
The better investment would be a X2 3800+ and as much RAM as you can afford and minimum of 1GB. for CAD, CAM , photoshop work more the RAM better.
If you can find 2x1GB modules then go for that if you are planning to use this machine professionally.
And done worry. Maya and 3dsmax will soon get a update to take advantage of dual core. But ya. Overall for this kind of work Intel would be better choice. In gaming AMD kills intel but for this Intel system is more suited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom