MSCONFIG.EXE not opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

adorablesrini

Broken In
Hey guys help me out here!! I cant open msconfig.exe. Whenever i try to run it, it opens for a flash of a second and then closes.In the prcoess's runnin window there is this unusual process called 'libsysmgr.exe'.I think this is causin the problem but then when i try to close it it simply wouldn't!!Wat is this libsysmgr.exe anyway?Help.

swatkat

Technomancer
try executing regedit.exe from start>run>regedit,if it also doen's open then ur computer might have been infected with W32.Donk.S virus.
This virus creates/copies the following files:-
%System%\cool.exe
and one of the following:-
%System%\ntsysmgr.exe
%System%\libsysmgr.exe
anyway follow these steps:-
use the removal instructions given in Symantec webpage:-
*securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.donk.s.html

or use the removal tool:-
*securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.donk.q.removal.tool.html

or go to Panda Online scanner to remove virus:-
*www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
Also,install and run AdAware to check for any thing 'bad'.

swatkat

Technomancer
if u have a process called libsymgr.exe or ntsysmgr.exe or a file called cool.exe placed in the locations as described in my previous post the download the removal tools.

OR

if any task named "Netstatt" is running,or if u have a file netstatt.exe (with 2 t's at the end) in the \Windows\System32 directory, not to be confused with netstat.exe,if it is,then it's a Trojan.Try terminating Netstatt.exe and then run Msconfig.Update ur AV and check for viruses.
Removal instructions here:-
*www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/b/backdoor_spyboter.asp
OR
Get urself Webroot Spysweeper.

OP
A

adorablesrini

Broken In
Well i downloaded the Donk removal tool but it didnt find any W32.DONK worm in my comp.Wel i do hav the libsysmgr.exe in the place u specified.I also used t ohave cool.exe but i deleted it.Stil not able to rectify the problem.I use Kaspersky Anti Virus.Even its update is not prsent

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Ok try this.....

Try to rename your msconfig.exe to something else or just create another copy of it by clicking on the file icon... Ctrl+C... Ctrl+V... then run it...

If it runs this time then your system is definately infected by a virus or spyware...

OP
A

adorablesrini

Broken In
Thanks NikhilVerma your trick worked.Finally i got into Safe Mode and deleted the file libsysmgr.exe. Now my Msconfig works.Only problem is with DOS programs.I'll do an Online PC Scan to rectify these problems.Thanx a lot to all u guys for helping me!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom