mp3 or mp4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
MP4 is better than MP3 in terms of audio compression. An MP4 encoded at 96Kbps sounds as good as MP3 encoded at around 192Kbps. That means it reduces the file size drastically compared to MP3 at same audio quality.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
well as the name suggests ... mp4 which means it came after mp3 so u dont need ot be einstein to know which is better

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
AAC audio format is the best. An AAC audio almost half the file size of MP3 can give
you the same clarity!! An AAC audio file encoded at 128 kbps gives superior audio
output compared to an MP3 also encoded at 128 kbps. Read more about AAC audio format here

sakumar79

Technomancer
All things said and done, if you want compatibility, you should stick to mp3 for now... Not all MP3 players support MP4 or AAC or WMA format... Though they might offer better quality at smaller size, they cannot match MP3 for compatibility...

Arun

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
mAV3 said:
well as the name suggests ... mp4 which means it came after mp3 so u dont need ot be einstein to know which is better

There is no hard and fast rule that the new ones will always be better than old. Sarincv want to discuss the advantages and disadvantages. MP4 still has the compatibility issue and id3 tags issue. So your quote doesn't make any sense. If you know something discuss here rather than making statements like that.

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
ok this is from another forum ...
MP4 kicks the crap out of Mp3s at low bit rates but the edge falls off..
MP4 96 = Around 160 Mp3
MP4 196 = around 256 MP3
256 Mp4 (max quality) = around a 320 Mp3.

also it is said that mp4 is the same as aac format ..... as far as compatibility issues are concerned they mean that there are not many players supporting mp4 as of now ..... which a current market round will tell u is not true ..... read my previous post after this one then see whether it makes sense or no

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
@MAV3: What's up with you man? You yourself have now found out that there are drawbacks of MP4 format over MP3. Then what's all the einstein matter all about?

Last edited:

forever

filth is me
i have had trouble with this high def mp4 file (Unity-720p-AAC.mp4), thing is it frames very badly in any player , is there any way to watch it without it framing ,plz reply ..

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
JGuru said:
AAC audio format is the best. An AAC audio almost half the file size of MP3 can give
you the same clarity!! An AAC audio file encoded at 128 kbps gives superior audio
output compared to an MP3 also encoded at 128 kbps. Read more about AAC audio format here

Completely agree with u;)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
mp4 is a container format which can be used for both audio and vdo

aac and mp4 are the same thing ....

Is MP4 the successor of MP3?
Yes and No. No, because MP3 is one specific type of audio format, whereas MP4 is a container format and not an audio codec. Yes, because MP4 is part of the MPEG-4 Standard, which can be taken as the successor of the MPEG-1/2 standard, where MP3 was part of.
MPEG-4 also includes AAC, an audio codec better than MP3, which most of the time comes in the MP4 format

mp4 is not so good at higher bitrates

OP
S

sarincv

Journeyman
mp4 encoded at 128 kbps is larger than mp3 at 128kbps

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
sarincv said:
mp4 encoded at 128 kbps is larger than mp3 at 128kbps

MP4 encoded at 128Kbps is larger than MP3 encoded at same rate. But quality of MP4 will be same as that of MP3 encoded at around 220kbps.

So MP4 is better than MP3 in terms of size and quality of playback. If you have MP4 player, go for MP4.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
sarincv said:
r u sure that mp4 at 96 kbps has got same quality as that of mp3 at 128kbps?
... thats what every1 who has tested mp4 and mp3 has confirmed .... google it .... and hence i say mp4 is better than mp4 coz its quality at lower bit-rate is same as mp3 at higher bits which means at low file size u get quality same as that of mp3

raksrules

Youngling
all said and done. Cna anyone now post some links / names of good converters that are able to convert audio to mp4 format ie with extension as mp4

Google it or search 4 vsome conversion software at softpedia.com

Last edited:

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Well all what i can say is MP4 format support Video also... :p I have seen that high quality DVD RIPs makes 4GB DVD into 400MB MP4 format... and with very good qaulity..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom