Mozilla Thunderbird 2 Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

El mooooo
Source: mozillaZine announcement

Scott MacGregor of Team Thunderbird writes in with news of the release of Mozilla Thunderbird 2: "Thunderbird 2 is now available for download on Windows, Mac and Linux in over 35 languages. Thunderbird 2 offers easy ways to manage and organize your email with message tags, advanced folder views, message history navigation, find as you type, and improved new mail alert notifications. Thunderbird 2 also includes a refreshed user interface and support for Microsoft Vista.

"Thunderbird 1.5.0.x users will be offered Thunderbird 2 via software update at a later date. Those wishing to upgrade now are therefore advised to download and install Thunderbird 2 manually

"The Thunderbird 2 features page has more details about the new features in Thunderbird 2. The Thunderbird 2 Release Notes have more specific information. The Rumbling Edge has a list of notable bug fixes in Thunderbird 2.

"We also want to extend a huge thanks to everyone in the MozillaZine community for their help and support with Thunderbird 2 over the past year. We wouldn't have been able to release Thunderbird without you. A special thanks to the awesome forum moderators who spend so much time answering questions and to the folks who help organize and participate in our weekly test threads here at MozillaZine."
Thunderbird 2 Features
Thunderbird 2 Release Noted

Third Eye

gooby pls
Thunderbird Adds Gmail Support

Mozilla Thunderbird is one of the most popular email clients on the Internet because it is developed by Firefox's creators and provides numerous powerful functions for the email owners.
As you surely know, Gmail is the mail solution provided by the search giant Google that was recently made free for all users and contains several antispam utilities that makes it extremely secure. Now, Gmail is a web-based product that allows users to read messages through a simple online interface. Although it enables registered members to receive emails straight on their desktop using the majority of the email clients, the configuration is somehow difficult. That's why Google published a separate page in the Gmail's help that presents some of the most used email clients and their Gmail configuration, helping users to setup their account with ease.

Although an email client is very useful for most of the Internet users, the majority of Gmail owners are still reading their messages through the web-based interface. Recently, Mozilla Thunderbird was updated to 2.0 and, among other features, the application is now compatible with Google's mail solution, allowing users to configure their account quick an easy. As you can see in the pictures attached to the article, Thunderbird displays a new option in the New Account menu that will automatically enter the Gmail settings. The user is required to follow some simple steps to write his username and password while the other settings are filed in by the wizard.

If you want to download the latest version of Mozilla Thunderbird for Windows, you can take it from Softpedia, using this link. If you're currently using a different email client and you want to configure it to receive your Gmail messages straight on your desktop, you can read this help article published by Google.
Source -> Softpedia

Last edited:

anandk

Distinguished Member
i m not too happy with outlook2007/windowsmail. used to love incredimail on xp. but it dznt wotk on vista. so i jst instld thunderbrd2. now i have instld the webmail, gmail, hotmail addons. have configured sucesfuly to download gmail mail. but am aunable to configre for hotmail. WITH INCREDIMAL i cud download hotmail inbox too...posbly bcoz mine is an OLD hotmail acnt.

so what do i do. havnt used thundrbrd earlier. basically what shud i give the server settings as ? presently i tried pop.hotmail.com for incoming server and smtp.hotmail.com for outgoing server. its not wrkng !

Pathik

Google Bot
welll i prefer OPERA's inbuilt client to all these...
btw Gmail + Opera is a rockin combo..

anandk

Distinguished Member
so what do i do ? what shud i enter there ? how was i able to import my mail from incredimal and work offline ? an old hotmail acnt is treated by hotmail as a 'valued' acnt, and they r stl gvn download access.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
There is a setting in outlook 2007

1) Account settings -> New

2) Name , followed by mailid@hotmail.com, followed by passwords twice & click on next,

3) Outlook will connect to Hotmail via HTTP, you don't need to configure anything.

4) To use Windows Live mails (i guess u have this, right?) You will need to download & install Microsoft Office Outlook Connector. You can download from here. Available to genuine Office users only

5) Keep in mind this will work only for Paid Hotmail service

Close outlook 2007 & install this extension, Now you will be able to sync your outlook 2007 & Live Mails. Keep in mind, that the things are synced. If you downloaded all the mails to outlook, they will stey in your computer even for offline viewing. But if u delete a mail from outlook itself it will also be deleted from the server. Well it is 2 GB now in WLM so who cares for Size & obviously your Hard disk size is more then 2 GB :D

Last edited:

anandk

Distinguished Member
^well thanx for taking the trbl 2 reply. was unable to configure thunderbird to download my hotmail mail (let me reiterate, since my hotmail acnt is old, it is treated as a 'valued' account and hence i m still able to download mail. in fact i stl do it from my ofc comp from incredimail/xp, and then work/reply offline)

so i got impatient :oops: and un-instld thndrbrd. (and no, i dont have winmail :D )

so i guess i have to wait for incredimail to issue a vista version ...

OP
eddie

eddie

El mooooo
Thunderbird supports Yahoo, Hotmail, Lycos (Europe), MailDotCom, Gmail, Libero, and AOL domains using webmail extension.
*webmail.mozdev.org/

Even though anandk un-installed Thunderbird, this post might help some other users :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom