1. Budget?
27k max

2. Display type and size?
4.7" preferred, not more than 5" ... IPS or SAMOLED

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
candybar

4. Preferred choice of brand?
any good brand (international or indian) EXCEPT samsung

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
touch

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
flash, autofocus, HDR, panorama, above avg low light performance. front facing camera is not mandatory.

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
android

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
3g, wifi, bluetooth, usb-otg, (tv-out not mandatory but would be great to have it)

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
the regular android package

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
calling, multimedia, camera, internet browsing, light gaming

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Nexus 4, Canvas 4 / Turbo, Xperia SP. open to other suggestions

12. Any other info that you want to share
i own a galaxy note n7000 for 2 years now. i am in love with its big screen but i have grown over it. now i would like to have a phone with medium sized screen as stated in ques #2.
two things i am looking for are: 1. good battery backup. 2. good camera.
having a smaller screen than note's will already save some battery. please suggest a phone which has better camera than note. i can try to manage a few extra k's if the phone is really worth it.

thank you

OP
I

itsmeharsh

Broken In
thank you for suggestions... i am open to other suggestions as well... and i can consider putting 2-3k extra if the handset is really worth it.

OP
I

itsmeharsh

Broken In
i don't think nexus 5's camera would be better than note... could be a little but not worth considering. even if it is, the screen size of 5" is something which is putting off for me a bit...

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
can you please provide some detail on why i wouldn't regret it :)

+1000000 to masterkd
The nexus line up has the full focus of googles android dev team which means more features updates and bug fixes
its googles answer to the iphone

Nexus phones have great developer support.
Example: Galaxy Nexus won't be given 4.4 upgrade officially but devlopers have given it 4.4 already (not completely stable though)

Nexus 5 would get next two android upgrades too..... that's for sure

It looks like 4.4 is the last major upgrade for my Nexus 4 :wah: , but I can say that my phone will easily get upgrades for few more years from devs

Some cons that I would like to say:
- There is no native 3G video calling
- Camera performance can't be compared to other current flagship phones (N5 surely has better camera than N4)(Check this)
- Battery life is average, it will easily last you a day of usage

Also moving from Note to N5, you'll miss the AMOLED, if u like it.........

sandeepsingh

Broken In
@itsmeharsh to end your misery :p

Here is the specs for the Nexus 5:

Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 with 2.26GHz Quad-Core Krait CPU
Operating System: Android 4.4, KitKat
Display: 5-inch (actual 4.95-inch) Full HD IPS (1920 x 1080 pixels)
Network: CDMA/1xRTT/EVDO, GSM/GPRS/EDGE, WCDMA/HSPA+, LTE
Memory: 32GB / 16GB
RAM: 2GB
Camera: Rear 8.0MP with OIS / Front 1.3MP HD
Battery: 2,300mAh Li-Polymer (embedded)
Size: 137.84 x 69.17 x 8.59mm
Weight: 130g
Others: Wireless charging, NFC

Am pretty sure with these specs and a price of around INR 30000 Nexus 5 is 'The Best' . Right. :)
and @itsmeharsh one more thing ... as they say ... Google it buddy. :)

Am pretty sure with these specs and a price of around INR 30000 Nexus 5 is 'The Best' . Right. :)

Last edited:
OP
I

itsmeharsh

Broken In

nexus devices have always been value for money by providing top notch h/w with decent price tag. but their camera have always been sub par. i am surely impressed by nexus 5 but it does not seem to tick two of my primary requirements, which are "good camera" and "smaller screen" ... i want a 4.7" screen phone at max, with above avg camera performance, along with good battery backup...

Nexus phones have great developer support.
Example: Galaxy Nexus won't be given 4.4 upgrade officially but devlopers have given it 4.4 already (not completely stable though)

Nexus 5 would get next two android upgrades too..... that's for sure

It looks like 4.4 is the last major upgrade for my Nexus 4 :wah: , but I can say that my phone will easily get upgrades for few more years from devs

Some cons that I would like to say:
- There is no native 3G video calling
- Camera performance can't be compared to other current flagship phones (N5 surely has better camera than N4)(Check this)
- Battery life is average, it will easily last you a day of usage

Also moving from Note to N5, you'll miss the AMOLED, if u like it.........

this "dev support" you are talking about is applicable on any android device, not just the nexus line... my galaxy note is supposed to be receiving 4.2 as last official update from samsung but 4.3 is already available from the dev community...

as for the screen, i think IPS LCD will be good enough for not to miss the amoled

randomuser111

Technomancer
Buddy, Nexus 5 has a 5" screen but its very compact. No bigger than a 4.7" device.

And the camera might not be brilliant but is definitely better than all other phones you are considering (SP, Canvas Turbo, N4 etc)

$hadow

Geek in making
And the big plus is that you will be getting pain free updates for the next 18months. Like I was stuck on my s3 4.1.2. Have to flash a custom rom. And there is still no sign of update coming from Sammy so on that note Google phone are awesome.

OP
I

itsmeharsh

Broken In
Buddy, Nexus 5 has a 5" screen but its very compact. No bigger than a 4.7" device.

And the camera might not be brilliant but is definitely better than all other phones you are considering (SP, Canvas Turbo, N4 etc)

you are absolutely correct, but a small screen draws less power. that is more functional for me than having a compact device with bigger screen. and still, no matter how compact a 5" screen device is, it will always be larger than one with 4.7" screen. i have had my share of big screen with my note, now i am looking for something smaller...

randomuser111

Technomancer
you are absolutely correct, but a small screen draws less power. that is more functional for me than having a compact device with bigger screen. and still, no matter how compact a 5" screen device is, it will always be larger than one with 4.7" screen. i have had my share of big screen with my note, now i am looking for something smaller...

In that case you would have to settle with an inferior device. :) Maybe like Xperia ZR or something.

OP
I

itsmeharsh

Broken In
In that case you would have to settle with an inferior device. :) Maybe like Xperia ZR or something.

how can you call something "inferior" if your "superior" device does not fall into someone's preference? there are many things which govern someone's decision. that does not mean you can call their decision "inferior". please refrain from using such words or just do not try to help at all.

randomuser111

Technomancer
how can you call something "inferior" if your "superior" device does not fall into someone's preference? there are many things which govern someone's decision. that does not mean you can call their decision "inferior". please refrain from using such words or just do not try to help at all.

I don't understand why you took offense really. In a 27k budget you simply can't get a better device than the Nexus 5. There are options yes but they are inferior in multiple areas compared to the Nexus 5 be it camera, screen, performance and other areas. Only better battery life does not change much to be honest.

I'm just giving you a frank advice, as you can see my avatar I love Sony and I could have simply asked you to buy Xperia ZR or SP but fanboyism aside they are not the better choice when you get a much better device for almost the same price.

Top Bottom