Hi Folks,
My PC config is

Processor : AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+
Mobo : Asus M2AVM
RAM : Kingston 677MHz 1gb
HDD : Seagate 500GB + WD 250GB + WD 80GB
PSU : Zebronics 500W
Display : Samsung 2033SW PLUS

This configuration served my purpose until some days back my motherboard conked out. Now im thinking of just buying a mobo which supports AM2/AM3 processors and DDR3 memory.
So that in future, something happens to my processor I can buy AM3 without having to change the board again.
Suggestions needed.

1. What is your MAX budget?

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
Yes

3. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
Office work, Internet surfing, Watching HD movies. (No Gaming at all)

4. Planning to overclock?
No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
Win7, Any Linux distro

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
NA

7. What resolution will the screen run at?
1920 x 1080

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with
the current performers and 10 being the highest)

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Will do it myself

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
In a week or max 2

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
Yes

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
PSU, Processor, HDD, Monitor.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
Mumbai

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
Motherboard with atleast DVI output(if not HDMI) and USB3 option would be great.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
You have an AM2 processor. It won't work in an AM3 motherboard as it lacks a DDR3 controller.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
If you desperately need an AM2 motherboard, try to find a K9 series motherboard that supports the AM2+ chipset... As ico rightly said, you wont get DDR3 support.. Only DDR2 support up to 1066mhz tops...

Else you can upgrade to a new system.. Your choice, bro..

Processor AMD Athlon II x3 440 3200
Motherboard Asus M4A78LT-M LE 2600
RAM G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-2GBNQ 1100

Total Rs 6.9K..

Last edited:
Reactions: ico
OP
S

sensationalboy

Broken In
Hmm ok then suggest me some cpu+mobo+ram combinations.
I dont want to invest much, because ill use it only for the things ive already mentioned.

Souro_Ray

In the zone
I already did suggest a basic configuration.. You can wait for other members' opinions.. I recommend you should wait for them...

mrcool63

Journeyman
the motherboard for your existing processors are
m2n68-AM and m2n68-AM plus.. the am plus will support upto phenom II x6 1055.. it will be your best bet

Top Bottom