Motherboard bricked... need suggestions for replacement

taurius1

Broken In
Motherboard: Striker II Formula (nforce 780i SLI chipset)
Processor: Intel Core2Duo E6850 3.0 Ghz
Ram: 4 X 1GB Kingston DDR2 800Mhz
Graphics card: XFX Radeon 5770HD

I bought an ATI 5770HD to replace my old broken 8800GT card.
I was under the assumption that a firmware update on my motherboard would give me compatibility for my new 5000 series ATI graphics card.
The firmware update seemed to proceed successfully, but my PC refused to POST after that. Any kind of recovery using boot disks wasn't working either.
The local PC servicing centre say they can't fix it either, coz the BIOS chip is soldered onto the motherboard.
So, I've finally given up trying to rescue my motherboard.

---------------

Do you guys have any recommendations for a new motherboard + processor that that will work with my 5770 HD? I want to buy an intel processor only, but don't mind switching to an ATI chipset for better compatibility with my graphics card.

Thank you. ^_^

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Motherboard: Striker II Formula (nforce 780i SLI chipset)
Processor: Intel Core2Duo E6850 3.0 Ghz
Ram: 4 X 1GB Kingston DDR2 800Mhz
Graphics card: XFX Radeon 5770HD

I bought an ATI 5770HD to replace my old broken 8800GT card.
I was under the assumption that a firmware update on my motherboard would give me compatibility for my new 5000 series ATI graphics card.
The firmware update seemed to proceed successfully, but my PC refused to POST after that. Any kind of recovery using boot disks wasn't working either.
The local PC servicing centre say they can't fix it either, coz the BIOS chip is soldered onto the motherboard.
So, I've finally given up trying to rescue my motherboard.

---------------

Do you guys have any recommendations for a new motherboard + processor that that will work with my 5770 HD? I want to buy an intel processor only, but don't mind switching to an ATI chipset for better compatibility with my graphics card.

Thank you. ^_^

Intel proccy? ATI Chipset? i don't think so. you can go with i5 750 + any P55 mobo. but will have to change those rams too.

or for ATI (part of AMD now), you have a nice option in the form of X4 955 + 785G or 790GX or even the newer 8-series chipsets.

BTW, if you provide your budget, it'll be easy to recommend.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
@OP:
Why did the ATI card not work with the motherboard..?

It should. Did you reset the CMOS after the BIOS update...?

OP
T

taurius1

Broken In
Ah! I can't believe I forgot to mention the budget.

I'm looking at a motherboard, processor, and ram to fit in the range of about 15K

And as for the board recovery, I tried the usual stuff. Resetting, CMOS, right down to recovery using a floppy drive with a bios recovery flash tool. Nothing worked.

The ATI card is a 5xxx series, which has been reported to be incompatible with the older nforce chipsets. Nvidia has reportedly issued BIOS updates for my board, which were supposed to "fix long POST issues with HD5850 GPUs" Seeing that, I assumed the update would apply to all 5xxx GPUs.

I guess not. :/

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Ah! I can't believe I forgot to mention the budget.

I'm looking at a motherboard, processor, and ram to fit in the range of about 15K

Athlon II X4 630 ---> 4.7k
Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-US2H ---> 4.6k
2 sticks of Corsair DDR 1333Mhz value ram ---> 5.7k

total: 15k

Last edited:
OP
T

taurius1

Broken In
Thank you all for your suggestions. I wasn away for a month, so couldn't check back on this eaarlier.

Thanks a lot. ^_^

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

So this is what I'm pretty much arrived at

From my old system, I'm carrying over
PSU: VIP Gold 600W
GPU: ATI Radeon HD5770
ATX Cabinet
DVD writer

The rest, I'm going to buy next week, and I'm looking to fit under 20K, and it guess it shouldn't be a problem now.

Processor:
Athlon II X4 630
or
Phoenom II X3 720

MOBO: (depending on pricing)
GA 785 GMT USB3
or
GA 785 GT UD3H
or
GA 790 XT USB3

2x 4GB Corsair RAM.

^_^ *happy*

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ if possible, drop that PSU in favour for a better one. its a good but desi PSU. can't trust.

also if you can find the Phenom II X3 (its EOL long ago) for ~5-5.5k, its a good buy. also why going for so much ram? 4Gb is more than enough. also if you can, go for 870X chipset motherboard or 880G motherboard instead of the 790X. though you'll loose Xfire but its new & support USB 3.0 & Sata 6Gbps depending on the manufacturer.

OP
T

taurius1

Broken In
Updates!!

I've been talking to my favorite vendor at lamington road, and he's found me a very decent solution for my budget.

Asus m4a89td pro
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
2x2 GB Ram Kit Corsair.

Approximately 22.5K for this. ^_^

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Asus m4a89td pro ---> don't buy Asus. get Gigabyte or MSI at lower price.
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T ---> don't pay more than 10.5k. AMD have done a big pricecut today.
2x2 GB Ram Kit Corsair ---> if 5k, good.

Top Bottom