"Most-awaited Windows 7" beats Harry Potter in UK, sets record

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
Here comes passion which wins over "Harry Potter" zeal.

*www.ibtimes.co.in/data/articleimgs/11073-customers-are-greeted-by-cheering-employees-as-the-doors-to-the-first-microsoft-retail-store-open-th.jpg

Windows 7, the most-awaited OS of 2009 has beaten the latest Harry Potter novel and even the popular game console Nintendo Wii to become the highest grossing pre-order product ever on the UK online retailer Amazon.co.uk.

According to a top Amazon executive, pre-orders of Windows 7 has even superseded those of its predecessors Windows Vista and Windows XP combined and the only item to register higher advance orders than Windows 7 in the past quarter is The Lost Symbol, the latest in Dan Brown's Da Vinci Code series.

More @ International Business Times

Krow

Crowman
You just create threads and disappear mate. you don't post back btw. Good threads btw. Linus Torvalds was amazing. So was review of pirated W7.

Much of the reason behind the pre-order was that the prices were damn low when pre-ordered.

Harry Potter on the other hand, got price cuts a few months AFTER release and also for pirates its much safer to pirate books than OSes.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
This is because of the beta and rc1 they have released. With out that.. It would be almost 75% lesser than what it is now. Provide beta and rc for harry potter's @ss.. and see the difference. No offense meant to no one. Just joking. Good going MS. But You aren't a good learner. You haven't learned form the piles of your Operating system copies that were remaining unsold even after the release of it's next version. We need good distributors like milestone interactive who is reducing the prices of several games making them to be sold.

Krow

Crowman
999 for a PC game is excellent pricing. All games have a lot of effort put in to make them. Even then, 999 is good pricing IMO. R* priced GTA IV to 500 bucks, which is a huge effort and its totally worth the money. If all these guys can, then what is M$ really waiting for to introduce affordable prices?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
This is because of the beta and rc1 they have released. With out that.. It would be almost 75% lesser than what it is now. Provide beta and rc for harry potter's @ss.. and see the difference. No offense meant to no one. Just joking. Good going MS. But You aren't a good learner. You haven't learned form the piles of your Operating system copies that were remaining unsold even after the release of it's next version. We need good distributors like milestone interactive who is reducing the prices of several games making them to be sold.

dude. beta and rc1 doesn't come under preorder. they are test builds and preorder applies to retail version. Also, what's the issue if there are stocks of vista when win7 is released. XP retail is still under stock few places and does that mean that it is a failure? new release doesn't mean that older version should disappear. and we can still buy 2xxx, 3xxx, 4xxx, 5xxx ati gpus even now.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
babai... what I was trying to tell there is, The preoder rush is just because of RC1. After they have used RC1, people came to know about the greatness of the Windows 7. But the problem is OP is comparing it will harry potter, that's why i made that comment.

Yes.. It is not a shame to have piles of copies that were manufactured a month or two months ago. But to have years of piles is a shameful thing. And MS has to reduce the prices atleast for Vista to clear their stocks.

Note: If there are 5XXX cards out there kicking some balls, ATI will definitely reduce the prices of 2XXX, 3XXX, 4XXX. It will not sell at the rates they were released for. The very same policy our very own MS if following right now.

Note to desiibond: I love you babai.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
999 for a PC game is excellent pricing. All games have a lot of effort put in to make them. Even then, 999 is good pricing IMO. R* priced GTA IV to 500 bucks, which is a huge effort and its totally worth the money. If all these guys can, then what is M$ really waiting for to introduce affordable prices?

to some extent, I agree. but game, we play for few hours and throw it away and OS is lot lot wider s/w doing lot lot lot more. yes. 7k+tax is heavy for home premium. 5k would've been a great great price.

Anyways, am going to get hands on one copy at the first week of next month or later. as I said earlier, whatever the price is, I am going to get ORIGINAL. I will pay the price to say thatnks to MS for their terrific effort.

Also, today I attended MS tech days sessions and I am lot more interested in win7 when I saw things like powershell, programming apps to use new taskbar and ribbon interface.

guys, this one rocks, inside and outside. Because believe me, after looking at the presentations, I feel that MS did lot lot more than what I thought to windows7

Krow

Crowman
^Okay now look. I am not an earning person like you. I would also buy their original if I did earn. But how can I expect to pay such a colossal amount for an OS? I mean 7k + tax means about 7.5k+. How do I pay that much even if I wanted to. Hell I upgrade my rig like once in three years. How the hell am I gonna be able to pay that much for an OS however awesome it may be?

IMO, I would buy W7 surely at 2-3k for Home Premium. That's all I can save up really. :( Hate M$ for nonsense pricing.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^wait for OEM release. It should definitely cost around 4k. Vista Home Premium OEM costs around 4k now and win7 will be cheaper or at same price. only problem is that you will not be able to upgrade to new version of OS. and since you use the same h/w for 3yrs, it should be a good option.

Also, I think MS will bring out student editions of the OS.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
^ If you are not an earning person like desiibond, STFU and use D4mTarreants method without complaining. :grin: :wink:
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
darn! we posted again at the same time.. make all your posts babai, i will come after 20 mins. :grin:

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^hehe, had an awesome MS's two day Community Tech Days event and am drooling over the possibilities that have opened up in windows 7 development environment.

win7+Powershell+VS2010 FTW!!!!!

also, silverlight development with VS2010 and Expression Blend created superb effects in presentations. MS Rocks!!!!

I will find you guys the links to live blog that happened.

Krow

Crowman
Well, desii, frankly speaking, I am seriously going to move the base of my daily activities on the PC to Linux now. M$ is seriously not giving me a chance to buy. I would not take Vista even if someone gave me 10 Sheep free with it. vamsi you read my mind. ;)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
You should give linux a try if all your apps run on it. most of the apps that I use refuse to work on linux and so, the only option for me is windows. And I have one sincere request. If If If you move to linux, please please don't become like those senseless linux fanboys. And dont' force it on others, recommend it and help others to get used to linux.

I am also thinking of giving a tech talk in my office on using linux in workspace.

Krow

Crowman
^Oh well, it so happens that I do have XP for my app/game work. W7 will last till Jan I hope. *cough* 7/xp and ubuntu is what it will be I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom