Monitor blank due to resolution issue

meetdenis

Broken In
Hi,

I have an LG 22MP68VQ-P monitor.

I recently got my Zotac GTX 1050 Ti replaced by claiming warranty.
For a few days, everything worked well with the new GPU. Since this week though, my monitor is showing an error message that the current resolution is set to 640x480, and to set it to the recommended resolution of 1920x1080. (attached)
After 20 seconds of this error, the monitor goes blank black. Doesn't show anything.
When I unplug the HDMI from the monitor, it goes 'no signal..entering standby mode ' and then switches off. When I plug it back, the monitor starts and same resolution error comes up before going blank black.

The boot screen is never seen. Neither the bios splash screen. Nothing.

I never changed the screen resolution. Even for the few days when the monitor was working after the GPU was replaced, it was always on the 1920x1080 resolution.

Because the monitor is just blank, I can't do anything. Can't update display drivers or get into bios.

What are my options?

Attachments

• IMG_20230204_000154608~2.jpg
    IMG_20230204_000154608~2.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 87

patkim

Cyborg Agent
Few things to try

• Re-seat the Discrete GPU
  • Change HDMI cable. If you don’t have spare take it from your Satellite STB
  • If monitor has multiple HDMI-In, try other one
  • If you have a laptop with HDMI-Out try hooking it to the same monitor. Does it display?
  • If you have a TV with HDMI-In, what if you use that?
  • If your system is built around CPU with iGPU try onboard connection. Remove your card for trying it that way. Assuming BIOS is set to auto detect GPU.
  • Clear the board of any static charge by disconnecting the mains, power cord and long pressing power on button for at least 30 seconds and recheck
  • Disconnect all HDD/SSDs, just temporarily remove their power connector and boot again
  • If your mobo has another PCIe x16 slot, try that
  • Take it to repair shop and test with another Discrete GPU and monitor one at a time. It could be that the card is not getting initialized properly. If so time for subsequent RMA.
  • Though it’s a simple procedure, leave CMOS reset as a last option or let repair shop do it if they want to
  • + anything else you and others can think of
Questions..

• Do you see HDD LED flickering indicating OS is loading when you boot (Storage HDD/SSD with OS on it must be connected for this check)
  • If you have attached a 2 pin speaker to mobo, does it give single beep or more than one in a pattern?
  • I assume CPU/GPU were not overclocked
  • What are the other display out ports available on your card and is your monitor supporting those inputs, just to check out?

Last edited:
OP
M

meetdenis

Broken In
Update...
I unplugged everything from the cabinet (mouse, speaker, mains, etc.) including the HDMI, and re-plugged it back. This time the monitor did turn on and the error was not shown. I updated the display drivers and Windows update too. Everything installed was already the latest. There was nothing to update.
During the next few instances, no error was shown.

Today though it came up again. Same thing. No Bios. no boot.
I restarted after a minute, and it booted. No error. I went in the Bios and there was no setting for display or resolution mentioned. (Any other BIOS setting I could try? )
Few things to try
  • Re-seat the Discrete GPU >> Did. Does not make a difference
  • Change HDMI cable. If you don’t have spare take it from your Satellite STB >> Did. Does not make a difference
  • If monitor has multiple HDMI-In, try other one >>Only one port
  • If you have a laptop with HDMI-Out try hooking it to the same monitor. Does it display? >> Will find a laptop and try
  • If you have a TV with HDMI-In, what if you use that? >> Don't have
  • If your system is built around CPU with iGPU try onboard connection. Remove your card for trying it that way. Assuming BIOS is set to auto detect GPU. >> Will try
  • Clear the board of any static charge by disconnecting the mains, power cord and long pressing power on button for at least 30 seconds and recheck >> Did as mentioned above
  • Disconnect all HDD/SSDs, just temporarily remove their power connector and boot again>> Did. Does not make a difference
  • If your mobo has another PCIe x16 slot, try that >> only one slot
  • Take it to repair shop and test with another Discrete GPU and monitor one at a time. It could be that the card is not getting initialized properly. If so time for subsequent RMA. >> Will try if nothing else works
  • Though it’s a simple procedure, leave CMOS reset as a last option or let repair shop do it if they want to >> Will try before sending to repairs
Questions..
  • Do you see HDD LED flickering indicating OS is loading when you boot (Storage HDD/SSD with OS on it must be connected for this check) >> Yes it flickers while booting. But at times, it doesn't flicker and remains steady on
  • If you have attached a 2 pin speaker to mobo, does it give single beep or more than one in a pattern? >> Single beep
  • I assume CPU/GPU were not overclocked >> Correct
  • What are the other display out ports available on your card and is your monitor supporting those inputs, just to check out? >> One each of HDMI, DVI and DP. Monitor supports DVI

Will changing the refresh rate work? Currently, it's set to 60Hz. 59.94 Hz and 50Hz are the other two options available.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The most probable cause is 1050 Ti is acting up. Try with another graphic card / try a live linux OS.

Top Bottom