Mobo with onboard graphix for AMD 3200+

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ AmaZe

Broken In
I just found out that the MSI RS 480 M2 IL is out of production (and out of stock as well)... so please suggest me a mobo with decent onboard graphics..
Is the MSI RS 482 M2 board good enough??
Budget is 6k...

h_kunte

Journeyman
YA the MSI RS 482 M2 IL is a good 939 mobo. Its on-board graphics solution is although not the best available today, it is good for everyday tasks & the odd game which u might wish to play. In fact, I have played ALL the so-called resource heavy games (FEAR, NFS Underground, Prince of Persia, Call of Duty....) without any issues of grafix distortion, or system hang-up. The MSI board has an ATI on board X200 grafix solution. The only con is that one can not over clock this mobo.

The ASUS A8N-VM is also a good enough option & is almost at par with the MSI RS 482 mobo. I think this mobo has an option for overclocking, although I am not very sure....
For more details, view the following links....

For MSI: *www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RS480M2-IL&class=mb

For ASUS: *www.pcstats.com/artvnl.cfm?articleID=1898

Hope this helps you.....

comrade

foreign return(0)
Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 definitely beats both asus & msi.
msi is quite outdated.
the only reason gigabyte scores over asus is bcoz of the south bridge chipset (nforce MCP 430 insteat of 410, i.e added advantage of 7.1 audio & gigabit lan).
Price-4.6K

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
I am using Asus A8N-VM with AMD 3000+
Quite good.Exept it does not have a serial port.You will need a connector.

Eazy

Journeyman
Isnt the A8N-VM CSM based on the 6150 chipset a better board then the A8N-VM which is based on the 6100 chipset ?

comrade

foreign return(0)
Eazy said:
Isnt the A8N-VM CSM based on the 6150 chipset a better board then the A8N-VM which is based on the 6100 chipset ?

thats rite..even gigabyte got one board based on 6150 chipset...but the availability is still a question.

G

gxsaurav

A8N- VM CSM, differes from A8N-VM CSM, in only 50 MHz clock speed which due to the fact this it is Onboard, won't make much difference anyway

U better go with the gigabyte as due to nforce MCP 430 it provides more features

Eazy

Journeyman
Compared the A8N-VM and A8N-VM CSM boards and found that the first one has 2 SATA connectors and the second one has 4. The CSM also has support for RAID 5 and 1394A which are both missing on the non CSM board.

But if anyone is considering buying these boards read this... *www.theinquirer.net/?article=27129

OP
D

DJ AmaZe

Broken In
Hey thanks a lot guys, i think i'l go for the MSI board or the Asus A8N - VM CSM..
Any choices on this? help me solve the confusion..

Also, one more prob with MSI is that it's not THAT easy-to-find as compared to asus. I think this might affect the after sales.. What Say Guys..???

OP
D

DJ AmaZe

Broken In
And can anyone PLEASE tell me what's the difference between MSI RS 480 M2 IL and MSI RS 482 M2 IL ...
there is no info on MSI sites abt MSI RS 482 M2 IL

Actually .. i've heard that the only difference is that 482 doesn't have an onboard IEEE 1394 (firewire card).. is it true??

aadipa

Padawan
anandtech said:
Whether RS482 or RS480, the performance should be essentially the same according to ATI. The RS480 is built on a .13 micron process, and the RS482 is a die-shrink to .11 micron. The chipsets are otherwise identical, except that ATI did make the move to a flip chip design in RS482. Whether it is a RS480 core or RS482 core, ATI calls the chipset Radeon Xpress 200. You will never hear ATI refer to the RS482 or RS480 in official documents, but we find the internal names to be useful for explaining what has and hasn't changed in the chipsets.

The die-shrink theoretically reduces costs, which was a primary motivation for the move to .11. The RS482 is the currently-shipping ATI integrated Graphics solution for AMD, and has replaced the RS480 in AMD integrated graphics from ATI.

OP
D

DJ AmaZe

Broken In
aadipa said:
anandtech said:
Whether RS482 or RS480, the performance should be essentially the same according to ATI. The RS480 is built on a .13 micron process, and the RS482 is a die-shrink to .11 micron. The chipsets are otherwise identical, except that ATI did make the move to a flip chip design in RS482. Whether it is a RS480 core or RS482 core, ATI calls the chipset Radeon Xpress 200. You will never hear ATI refer to the RS482 or RS480 in official documents, but we find the internal names to be useful for explaining what has and hasn't changed in the chipsets.

The die-shrink theoretically reduces costs, which was a primary motivation for the move to .11. The RS482 is the currently-shipping ATI integrated Graphics solution for AMD, and has replaced the RS480 in AMD integrated graphics from ATI.

thanks..

OP
D

DJ AmaZe

Broken In
i'm now totally confused whether to go for the MSI RS 482 M2 IL or the Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 ..
i've ruled out the Asus motherboard somehow...

any suggestions.. ??

Bhanu Kiran

Right off the assembly line
I am using ASUS A8N-VM MoBo and having some problems

Hi guys,
I hav recently bought the ASUS A8N-VM mobo. After installing XP SP2, I installed drivers provided with the motherboard. When I tried to run any game which utilised directX, it ran, but displayed garbled video. Tried this for many games and it happened same. Then I installed directX 9.0c hoping it might solve the problem. But no use. I am even unable to play videos in Windows Media Player. I went to control panel > add/remove problems > NVIDIA drivers, and uninstalled only the display driver. Now I am able to play movies but my games say I don't have 3D acceleration.
In first case (when I had drivers), DxDiag gave negative results 4 directdraw and direct3D. In second case, it just said 'disabled'.
I can't understand what my problem is. Can anyone out there help me please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom