Mobo + proccy at 22K

sreedharvenugopal

The Designer
I need a new mobo and processor. I will use the system for Photoshop, Illustrator, PowerDirector and Premiere Pro. Gaming is second priority.

Budget: Within Rs22000. (+rs1000 if absolutely necessary)

I thought i5 2500K is a good option as I would like to overclock. It's available at Rs 12809 on ebay. Good value?
I also need a mobo that can support the Corsair ram I have, i.e 2x2GB 1333MHz at 1.65v (CMX4GX3M2A1333C8) 8-8-8-24. I would like more than 2 ram slots so that I don't have to exchange my ram if I want to increase it to 6GB or 8GB later on. But I would buy more ram if there's part of my budget left after the mobo and proccy.
Or, Will the i7 2600K fit my budget along with a mobo as per my requirements?

Current PC Components:
Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz 1.65v
CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper TX3
PSU: Corsair TX650W
GFX: MSI R5770 Hawk
HDD: Seagate 500GB, WD 250GB, Samsung 80GB
Cabinet: Coolermaster CM690

Also, would I be able to use Transcend 2x2GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 1.5v ram along with the corsair on the suggested mobo?

My hardware knowledge: 7/10
I would like to buy online as I live in Trivandrum, Kerala and I find prices are generally higher here than other palces.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
You can use Transcend Rams with XMS3 modules. There won't be any compatibility issues as both of them are CL9 1333 MHz module. But rather than buying 2X2 GB modules, get a single 4GB 1333 MHz module from Corsair @ 1.2K.

Core i5 2500K is available at the itwares @ 11.7K.
Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Here is the config for you:

Core i5 2500K @ 11.7K
Biostar TZ68K+ @ 7.4K
Flipkart: Biostar TZ68K+: Motherboard
Corsair 1333 MHz 4GB X 1 DDR3 @ 1.2K

Total 20.3K

OP
S

sreedharvenugopal

The Designer
That mobo looks good. :) TZ68K+ @ rs7419
Best way to increase usb ports using the speed of the usb3.0 ports?

I already have the corsair xms3 2x2gb and transcend 2x2gb rams with me. I know the board supports both those rams individually. But I'm not sure if I can use them both together as the Transcend ram is rated at 1.5V and the Corsair XMS3 is rated at 1.65v. Is it possible?
Can the mobo provide diff voltages to diff ram slots?

Cilus

laborare est orare
YA it will. I used one Transcend 2GB ram with XMS3 2GB DDR3 rams without any problem.

008Rohit

Broken In
You can use Transcend Rams with XMS3 modules. There won't be any compatibility issues as both of them are CL9 1333 MHz module. But rather than buying 2X2 GB modules, get a single 4GB 1333 MHz module from Corsair @ 1.2K.

Core i5 2500K is available at the itwares @ 11.7K.
Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Here is the config for you:

Core i5 2500K @ 11.7K
Biostar TZ68K+ @ 7.4K
Flipkart: Biostar TZ68K+: Motherboard
Corsair 1333 MHz 4GB X 1 DDR3 @ 1.2K

Total 20.3K

1. 2x2GB RAMs will work in dual channel mode, 1x4GB will not. Moreover, the OP has already got that pair of RAM.

2. Biostar is well known for making cheap quality motherboards that get a lot of bad reviews.

@ OP

For your works, an i7 2600K will be the best as its got hyperthreading. It costs around 15K. So, with the remaining 6-7K, get a ASUS/MSI/Gigabyte/ASRock P67/Z68 based board as per your requirements.

OP
S

sreedharvenugopal

The Designer
@008Rohit:
I have found an i7 2600K at rs17200 on itwares. Its the cheapest one I found online.
I have 6.7K remaining with me in that case. What mobo would you recommend in that budget as per my requirements?

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ The reason for suggesting a single 4GB kit was because of making it a 2X4GB in the future to make it a dual channel as well as to save some extra RAM slots.

OP
S

sreedharvenugopal

The Designer
But, I already have the two 2x2GB ra kits with me. I would like to use them on the mobo.
Which is the next best mobo that would fit my budget? Links too, please.

Cilus

laborare est orare
1. 2x2GB RAMs will work in dual channel mode, 1x4GB will not. Moreover, the OP has already got that pair of RAM.

I think OP has mentioned that he is already having four modules of 2GB ram in his 2nd last post, before you have posted your comment. So no point of putting it here. 2ndly I don't know you know or not, if you have two 2GB modules and one 4GB module and the placement is like this:-
A1: 2GB, A2: 2GB, B1: 4GB, B2: 0 GB
then also the ram will work in dual channel mode as the total capacity of A slots is equal to the total capacity of the B slots.

2. Biostar is well known for making cheap quality motherboards that get a lot of bad reviews.

Biostar makes cheap motherboard but that does not imply that all of their boards are bad. And when I suggest something, I have the habbit of checking reviews before posting, unline you. Buddy, it is a tech forum, not for sharing your opinion without any points. The Biostar board I've suggested has shown best overclocking potential in the Tomshardware test among all the sub $160 boards. And in US market, the board is not cheap either, it is in the same price range of MSI Z68A-GD55 or Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3.
Check the review here: From $100 To $160: Five Z68-Based Boards, Compared : Almost Affordable

OP
S

sreedharvenugopal

The Designer
Thanks everybody for your valuable suggestions.
And as Cilus said, I already have the ram with me and would like to use them as of right now.
I have ordered these from flipkart:
Core i7 2600K @ rs17416
Biostar TZ68K+ @ rs7419

I noticed the biostar has less USB ports. Its the only negative of this mobo according to me, buts the pros outweighed it. It didn't matter much to me as its within my budget. And I could later get some USB hubs to suit my needs. What do you recommend?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Congrats on your purchase. And I don't think you need USB hub. It has two USB 2.0 and two USB 3,0 ports and 3 USB 2.0 hub, each of which can offer two USB ports. So by USB connector cables, normally supplied with the motherboard, you can have another six USB ports.

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Regarding RAM, I think if two sticks with different voltages are used, the highest voltage is used for all the RAM sticks, i.e. the 1.5V RAM will run at 1.65V. It may not be optimal though most RAM should be able to manage 1.65V.

Personally, I recommend getting a DDR3 1600 kit, but the performance difference shouldn't be very significant either way.

Congratulations on your purchase :)

OP
S

sreedharvenugopal

The Designer
Thanks. :)
Once I get the mobo and proccy next week, will post pics. Also, will try on both the memory kits and let you know how it runs, the voltage and memory timings.
Also what is it that I should get to add 2 or more usb ports to the front panel of my CM690 using one of the 3 USB hubs on the mobo?

Since I primarily use my pc for Photoshop, Illustrator, PowerDirector and Premiere Pro, etc and all those stuff, how much of a difference in encoding times can I expect switching to the i7 2600k? My Q9550 used to lag while using PS in creating and editing 10MP designs using Illustrator simultaneously. Also, every file like this takes over 10mins to save.

Don't know if its okay asking here, but anyway.
I am planning to sell my Q9550 proccy and DP45SG mobo along with 2GB DDR3 1333MHz. What price should I expect to get?

chintan786

In the zone
@ Cilus and Accelerator.....How you rate Biostar TZ68K+ against Asus P8Z68 V Pro. I am planning to buy Asus but after going through your posts I am evaluating Biostar TZ68K+ too.

I am building Multi Monitor Set up... and i want MOBO to serve well for atleast next 3 years.

Regards,

Chintan

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^If you're going for multi-monitor setup then Crossfire or SLI is must to have for good gaming performance. Now the Biostar mobo does not support SLI as SLI is not supported in (X16-X4) mode and in Crossfire the card present in the X4 slot will be bottlenecked.
I think you should go with MSI Z68A-GD55 @ 10.2K

Cilus

laborare est orare
Anyone have any answer to my question asked above?
Expected price for my cpu, mobo and ram.

Q9550 is roughly equivalent to a PHENOM II 965, currently retailing around 7K. Equivalent motherboard price is around 6K and 2GB ram price is around 0.6K. So total price of a equivalent new system is not more than 13K. Now the price depends upon how old your system is, if there any warranty left on any components etc.

OP
S

sreedharvenugopal

The Designer
Just an update on my ram issue.
I now have a total of 8GB ram now. Using both the Corsair 2x2GB and Transcend 2x2GB and both run at 1.5v as of now.
Timings are 8-8-8-24.

Top Bottom