Mobile workstation needed

OP
B

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Go for MSI GS 30 Shadow. 13 incher with core i7 4870HQ. It's more powerful than any processor found in Sager(except desktop and extreme one). Also it does not have a dGPU. It's one of the lightest and thinnest laptop.
It also comes with a dock to house a desktop GPU(upto GTX TITAN Z SLI card---->compatible as told to me by Xotic guys) should you ever feel the need to play games. :p

- - - Updated - - -

MSI GS 60 Ghost is pretty good too.

Alright man, thanks a lot for your input. I have a bit of time on my hands to make a choice, let's see what my manager has to say to this! :p

rhyansy

MSI Gaming Pan India Sale
Alright man, thanks a lot for your input. I have a bit of time on my hands to make a choice, let's see what my manager has to say to this! :p

Yes, GS30 with docking is really made for this purpose. It's an old concept but technical capacity has the product well-made only now. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to go for this.

OP
B

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Yes, GS30 with docking is really made for this purpose. It's an old concept but technical capacity has the product well-made only now. Hope you enjoy it if you decide to go for this.

Hi, is MSI planning to launch any models with the GTX 900 series in India anytime soon? Also, what is your global warranty policy?

rhyansy

Hi, is MSI planning to launch any models with the GTX 900 series in India anytime soon? Also, what is your global warranty policy?

It's already released with Amazon India. (Online Shopping: Shop Online for Mobiles, Laptops, Cameras, Books, Watches, Apparel, Shoes and More - Amazon.in) You can check them out.

Global warranty is 1 year, local 2 years.

OP
B

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Ok, if I HAVE to buy locally, I think I'll keep it under 1 lakh. I have narrowed it down to either the Lenovo Y50 (75K) or MSI GE60 2PG Apache (92K)

Is the screen on the MSI a big improvement over the Lenovo, or am I better off saving the extra money and upgrading the Lenovo with an SSD and extra RAM?

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Ok, if I HAVE to buy locally, I think I'll keep it under 1 lakh. I have narrowed it down to either the Lenovo Y50 (75K) or MSI GE60 2PG Apache (92K)

Is the screen on the MSI a big improvement over the Lenovo, or am I better off saving the extra money and upgrading the Lenovo with an SSD and extra RAM?

Lenovo Y50 + a screen replacement + SSD + Extra Ram >> GE60 2PG Apache

and still would cost around the Apache. Apache has 850m for 92k compared to the 860m on Y50 :facepalm:

rhyansy

Yes, screen is anti-glare FHD. All the components are first class with gaming features for gamers optimization. MSI might be priced higher than Lenovo, but you get a world class product without any downsizing.

OP
B

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Lenovo Y50 + a screen replacement + SSD + Extra Ram >> GE60 2PG Apache

and still would cost around the Apache. Apache has 850m for 92k compared to the 860m on Y50 :facepalm:

True, but I need a good screen out of the box as my company won't pay for screen replacement. Gaming is not a priority, but the screen quality has to be good, which is quite poor on the Y50 from what I saw.

Yes, screen is anti-glare FHD. All the components are first class with gaming features for gamers optimization. MSI might be priced higher than Lenovo, but you get a world class product without any downsizing.

Well, the Lenovo is also a matte FHD screen, but it's a TN panel with bad color reproduction and viewing angles. Does the MSI have an IPS display or is it TN as well? Also, is there any reseller of MSI laptops in Kolkata? I need to see it in person before buying.

Does the Y50 have an mSATA port?

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
True, but I need a good screen out of the box as my company won't pay for screen replacement. Gaming is not a priority, but the screen quality has to be good, which is quite poor on the Y50 from what I saw.

Well, the Lenovo is also a matte FHD screen, but it's a TN panel with bad color reproduction and viewing angles. Does the MSI have an IPS display or is it TN as well? Also, is there any reseller of MSI laptops in Kolkata? I need to see it in person before buying.

Does the Y50 have an mSATA port?

No mSATA slot in Y50

*i.imgur.com/nES8b2U.jpg

rhyansy

Does the MSI have an IPS display or is it TN as well? Also, is there any reseller of MSI laptops in Kolkata? I need to see it in person before buying.

GE60 screen is Samsung PLS, similar to LG IPS.

No official MSI physical shop in Kolkata yet. Aside from online shops Flipkart and Amazon, the other most direct way is to contact with our official disty, Acro Engineering in New Delhi and Mrig Technologies in Bangalore. Sorry for the inconvenience.

OP
B

bikramjitkar

In the zone
GE60 screen is Samsung PLS, similar to LG IPS.

No official MSI physical shop in Kolkata yet. Aside from online shops Flipkart and Amazon, the other most direct way is to contact with our official disty, Acro Engineering in New Delhi and Mrig Technologies in Bangalore. Sorry for the inconvenience.

hmm...well, thanks for your input. I guess I will have to go for the Y50 if I have to buy it in India. If I can get it from the US, I'll go for Sager or maybe the MSI Ghost.

samcema

Broken In
If you are buying an laptop from us u can go with dell xps 15. Any one of your choice. They have 3yrs ADP. Also u can opt for retina macbook. You can always install windows via boot camp. Plus u will get arround 7 hrs of battery life.

samcema

Broken In
U can go with macbook pro retina. I5, 8gb, 512 ssd. Plus 7hrs of battery life. U can install windows via bootcamp.

OP
B

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Well, after much thought and research, I have decided to get a Thinkpad W541 from the US for around $1800. Since this will be a work machine, reliability is more important than gaming performance.

Config:

Processor
Intel Core i7-4810MQ

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64 preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1 Pro 64

Display
Thinkpad W541 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080), with WWAN

Graphics
W540 NVIDIA Quadro K1100M 2G

Memory
16GB PC3-12800 DDR3L (2 DIMM)

Keyboard
ThinkPad New Precision Backlit Keyboard with Number Pad US English

Pointing Device
Thinkpad W541 Fingerprint Reader, 3+2BCP

Camera
720p HD Camera

Hard Drive
256GB Solid State Drive Serial ATA3 OPAL2.0

Optical Device
DVD Recordable

Battery
9 Cell Li-Ion Cylindrical Battery 99.9Wh

$hadow

Geek in making
Well, after much thought and research, I have decided to get a Thinkpad W541 from the US for around $1800. Since this will be a work machine, reliability is more important than gaming performance.

Config:

Processor
Intel Core i7-4810MQ

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64 preinstalled through downgrade rights in Windows 8.1 Pro 64

Display

Graphics

Memory

Keyboard

Pointing Device

Camera
720p HD Camera

Hard Drive

Optical Device
DVD Recordable

Battery

This is the best you can get. This will surely be a kickass config.

Config:

Processor
Intel Core i7-4810MQ

Operating System

Display

Graphics

Memory

Keyboard

Pointing Device

Camera
720p HD Camera

Hard Drive

Optical Device
DVD Recordable

Battery

I don't know about the cost penalty, but I think you should better switch to their 3K display(IPS) or K2100M.
--And if you can live with an ULV processor, Thinkpad 550s seems to better workstation overall(Build, mobility etc).--
Personally, seeing reviews and posts(on notebookreview forums) about newer W series Thinkpad, I think Lenovo is notching the build down for price decrease, which is not justifiable(At some point of time, higher end Thinkpads were manufactured in Japan).

Another safe bet is Fujitsu Celsius H730(since you are planning to buy from US). It has same value for money aspects, and industrial design/maintenance features comparable to Thinkpad(Sans ports like Thunderbolt/Expresscard). This one is a bare bones device produced with absolutely no software/hardware frills.....so you might not get that "Workstation-esque uniqueness" factor. (Approx. 1800 USD for Intel Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 8 GB of RAM, a 256 GB SSD, Nvidia's Quadro K1100M GPU, Full HD IPS display, 3G UMTS module)

Last edited:
OP
B

bikramjitkar

In the zone
I don't know about the cost penalty, but I think you should better switch to their 3K display(IPS) or K2100M.
--And if you can live with an ULV processor, Thinkpad 550s seems to better workstation overall(Build, mobility etc).--
Personally, seeing reviews and posts(on notebookreview forums) about newer W series Thinkpad, I think Lenovo is notching the build down for price decrease, which is not justifiable(At some point of time, higher end Thinkpads were manufactured in Japan).

Another safe bet is Fujitsu Celsius H730(since you are planning to buy from US). It has same value for money aspects, and industrial design/maintenance features comparable to Thinkpad(Sans ports like Thunderbolt/Expresscard). This one is a bare bones device produced with absolutely no software/hardware frills.....so you might not get that "Workstation-esque uniqueness" factor. (Approx. 1800 USD for Intel Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 8 GB of RAM, a 256 GB SSD, Nvidia's Quadro K1100M GPU, Full HD IPS display, 3G UMTS module)

Yeah, I'm not too sure of the quality of the 1080p screen on the ThinkPad since it is a TN panel and there are hardly any reviews of it. Thinking of dropping down the processor to a 4710mq and upgrading to the 3K IPS screen, but then I have heard of Windows having text scaling issues with very high resolutions (I'm a developer, so I'll be staring at text all day).

$hadow

Geek in making
Yeah, I'm not too sure of the quality of the 1080p screen on the ThinkPad since it is a TN panel and there are hardly any reviews of it. Thinking of dropping down the processor to a 4710mq and upgrading to the 3K IPS screen, but then I have heard of Windows having text scaling issues with very high resolutions (I'm a developer, so I'll be staring at text all day).

Wait for windows 10 for that screen issue fix.

Top Bottom