Mobile for Mom. Budget Rs. 10 K

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Lag is due to unoptimized ROM.Android One devices comes with stock ROMs which rules out slow and laggyness due to unoptimized roms.changing launcher will do no good if kernel is unoptimized one.

still youd expect some amount of performance,even samsung phones perform better despite touchwiz

- - - Updated - - -

I just found the best phone for the price if you can extend to 9K
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00EOPJ76A/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d4_i5?pf_rd_m=A1VBAL9TL5WCBF&pf_rd_s=center-7&pf_rd_r=1R0WQ3WSE17GT8X7R441&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=518028687&pf_rd_i=1320006031

Ronnie012

Earthling
^The one above seems like a steal. Get it if you can. Apart from that, Lumia 525, 520, 630 are all good. Lumia 630 provides improved battery life compared to 525, 520, 530.

I would also suggest Zenfone 5 @ 10,000 rupees(Till date pretty happy with it except for battery) And its camera is great.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
my colleague bought MMX A1, I am quite impressed with its performance(used it for a few minutes), except the looks, its just okayish.

I dont think my mom will be able to use a windows phone. she atleast can use Android tablet.

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
android one oems in India- micromax,spice and karbonn are a joke,they arent good quality and have MTK cpus which lag and have worse battery life than Moto E
so its pointless getting a poorly made android one over a Moto E

Moto E has better quality,feels nice and sturdy
it makes no sense to get android one over a Moto E,even updates are equally fast
i highly suggest you get the Moto E over an android one if you are keen on android
if you dont take my word for it,try seeing it in real

also Moto E comes with Gorilla glass 3
- - - Updated - - -

samsung loads its phones with bloat and touchwiz is a battery hog and a laggy UI
its build quality isnt that great- the silver bezels chip off very easy
though i will give them credit for good hardware,mainly its poor optimisation etc which brings it down

- - - Updated - - -

yep Moto E is better built than samsung and android one any day

I have been using my first Samsung smartphone, a Galaxy S5 for quite some time now.I didn't find any of the problems you speak about.

I do notice an occasional lag here and there but nothing that gets me frustrated.Same is the case with my Mom's S Duos 2.

Regarding build quality, it's not like every other phone is built of aircraft grade aluminium in this price range.If we are talking abour raw specs nothing beats a Dual core Cortex A9(A9>A7) and Broadcom 4 GPU.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Nah, TW is a problem, it's a mess actually. And also you won't realize that until you use a phone running on stock Android. It should be built from scratch.
Build quality is on the other hand is more than fine. After hTC, Nokia and BB I will rather take Samsung than anything else on the market. Some are utter jokes.

Minion

Conversation Architect
I have been using my first Samsung smartphone, a Galaxy S5 for quite some time now.I didn't find any of the problems you speak about.

I do notice an occasional lag here and there but nothing that gets me frustrated.Same is the case with my Mom's S Duos 2.

Regarding build quality, it's not like every other phone is built of aircraft grade aluminium in this price range.If we are talking abour raw specs nothing beats a Dual core Cortex A9(A9>A7) and Broadcom 4 GPU.

What about battery backup?

polupoka

In the zone
Moto G (1st Gen)

(Black, with 16 GB) is now 9999 in flip! and after sbi debit/credit card cashback effective price gonna be 8999.10/-:clap2:

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I find this quote interesting. Why do you think Android is easier to use for an elderly lady than Windows?

She know a few basic operations on Android, she already has used a few before(dad's phone, my phone, and she plays few games on a tablet) . Windows on the other hand has totally different interface. I am not confident she would be able to get around the phone.

EDIT: Any thoughts on the newly launched Honor Holly ?

Minion

Conversation Architect
It got same chipset as Android one devices looks good to me.
Here is the review
Huawei Honor Holly Review- Is It Worth The Price? Find Out!

Last edited:

Ronnie012

Earthling
She know a few basic operations on Android, she already has used a few before(dad's phone, my phone, and she plays few games on a tablet) . Windows on the other hand has totally different interface. I am not confident she would be able to get around the phone.

EDIT: Any thoughts on the newly launched Honor Holly ?

Hmm, am also planning to gift one to my dad and mom, so still wondering whether to go for windows, android or asha. Guess they might be able to handle android as well

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
touchwiz is a major bloat and lag filled experience,samsungs bezels etc chip very easily and often
its time people start accepting this hard truth
otherwise samsung is certainly better than chinese and indian oems,that i will agree

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, am also planning to gift one to my dad and mom, so still wondering whether to go for windows, android or asha. Guess they might be able to handle android as well

get windows phone,its lesser hassles etc
depends on usage really,for me i have phones and tablets from every os but my daily devices are-lumia 720 and BB Z10(Nexus 5 only for its OTG capability with my 1200D),ipad 2(my ipads 3 and 4 are heavier,heat alot etc so i prefer the ipad 2 for daily use),Nexus 7 (2012) as its small portable etc
frankly my daily devices are based on what they do best,windows phone functions best as an every day phone with its smoothness,excellent battery life and camera(I only use BB10 because i like to keep two separate sets of facebook and other apps related to promoting my site and business etc,i end up using my 720 more often)
ipad is easily the best tablet overall because of sheer design,smoothness and battery life etc
nexus 7(2012) is nice to hold and carry around and is the best android tablet ive used,most others are worthless

Ronnie012

Earthling
- - - Updated - - -

get windows phone,its lesser hassles etc
depends on usage really,for me i have phones and tablets from every os but my daily devices are-lumia 720 and BB Z10(Nexus 5 only for its OTG capability with my 1200D),ipad 2(my ipads 3 and 4 are heavier,heat alot etc so i prefer the ipad 2 for daily use),Nexus 7 (2012) as its small portable etc
frankly my daily devices are based on what they do best,windows phone functions best as an every day phone with its smoothness,excellent battery life and camera(I only use BB10 because i like to keep two separate sets of facebook and other apps related to promoting my site and business etc,i end up using my 720 more often)
ipad is easily the best tablet overall because of sheer design,smoothness and battery life etc
nexus 7(2012) is nice to hold and carry around and is the best android tablet ive used,most others are worthless

Hmm, planning to buy one. Lets see what happens...

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
[MENTION=144813]Charan[/MENTION]. Bro looks like it's been long time since you started this thread.

Yes. things take time and should not be rushed. but on the other hand. my dad has asked for a iPad with cellular and that has me worried on how to convince him to go for android :p.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Yes. things take time and should not be rushed. but on the other hand. my dad has asked for a iPad with cellular and that has me worried on how to convince him to go for android :p.

ipad>>>android tablet except maybe nexus which comes close

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom