Mobile for Mom. Budget Rs. 10 K

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ im reducing the budget to 7K , we already have one 1S, not interested in buying another one.

abirthedevil

In the zone
First gen Moto G prices have fallen steeply, you might wanna check out Moto G deals. Mediocre battery, a somewhat below average camera and non expandable storage are the cons but at this price point some trade offs are unavoidable. If Indian brands don't bother you take a look at Android One.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Karbon sparkle has the best looks among the three. Only issue would be after sales service (for all three)

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Lumia 620,Zenfone 4 or 5,Moto e if you can extend moto e
avoid karbonn,xiaomi etc loads of issues with ASS
avoid android one,get moto e instead of android one

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Can you guys give me the reason why not to go for Android one other than ASS. I am not worried about after sales service.

lywyre

Cyborg Agent
Can you guys give me the reason why not to go for Android one other than ASS. I am not worried about after sales service.

I can't find any. Further, Mediatek is also sharing their code for developers which strengthens dev support further increasing the life of the devices beyond two years (if they physically last ;)) .

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
What pains me is, so many tech noobs on this forum who hate samsung and have absolutely no explanation as to why.

[MENTION=2132]RCuber[/MENTION] : I gifted my mom an S Duos 2 a year ago.It's a decent allrounder with a good chipset(better than Moto E or zenphone 4) and good battery life.It has an average camera with an LED flash, quality of the shots is ok.

Also, the GPU in it(Video Core 4) is better than the Adreno 305 or the SGX544 MP2 so it would be a companion for those occasional gaming sessions.

kunalgujarathi

Cyborg Agent
What pains me is, so many tech noobs on this forum who hate samsung and have absolutely no explanation as to why.

[MENTION=2132]RCuber[/MENTION] : I gifted my mom an S Duos 2 a year ago.It's a decent allrounder with a good chipset(better than Moto E or zenphone 4) and good battery life.It has an average camera with an LED flash, quality of the shots is ok.

Also, the GPU in it(Video Core 4) is better than the Adreno 305 or the SGX544 MP2 so it would be a companion for those occasional gaming sessions.

You just cannot compare the experience and build quality with S Duos!
It's Sam***

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

android one oems in India- micromax,spice and karbonn are a joke,they arent good quality and have MTK cpus which lag and have worse battery life than Moto E
so its pointless getting a poorly made android one over a Moto E

Moto E has better quality,feels nice and sturdy
it makes no sense to get android one over a Moto E,even updates are equally fast
i highly suggest you get the Moto E over an android one if you are keen on android
if you dont take my word for it,try seeing it in real

also Moto E comes with Gorilla glass 3
- - - Updated - - -

samsung loads its phones with bloat and touchwiz is a battery hog and a laggy UI
its build quality isnt that great- the silver bezels chip off very easy
though i will give them credit for good hardware,mainly its poor optimisation etc which brings it down

- - - Updated - - -

You just cannot compare the experience and build quality with S Duos!
It's Sam***

yep Moto E is better built than samsung and android one any day

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect

There is no reason not to go for android One.From all three devices Karbonn Sparkel V is the one with sturdy build quality.They are providing warranty for 1.5 years while tier 1 brand provide same for 1 year only.Updates were given by Google directly even better these devices do not skip on any features or sensors.
Regarding chipset that mediatek chipset score 18k in antutu while snapdragon 200 in moto E results in 12k only.This phone have much better camera than moto E.Most important thing is you are getting stock roms.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
^^Mediatek only looks good on paper,the SD200 is better in real life performance
only thing which is better on Android one is the inclusion of camera flash

skeletor

Super Moderator
Staff member
android one oems in India- micromax,spice and karbonn are a joke,they arent good quality and have MTK cpus which lag and have worse battery life than Moto E
^^Mediatek only looks good on paper,the SD200 is better in real life performance
Nope.

Talking about Canvas A1, Cortex-A7 is a core designed by ARM and both Mediatek and Qualcomm have licensed it from ARM and are using it directly. MT6582 has 4 of them, Snapdragon 200 only two.

Dunno about what's the case with Mali 400 and Adreno 302, but both should be around the same level since Mali 400 is too old. I might be wrong on this one. Mali 400 is again designed by ARM and Mediatek has licensed it. Adreno is Qualcomm's own design.

Neither Qualcomm or Mediatek have the ability to fabricate chips.

TSMC manufactures both Qualcomm and Mediatek chips, so no "low quality" thing if you're wondering; and being made on the same 28nm manufacturing process from TSMC, you'd expect them to have same power characterstics. Whatever you're saying about their SoCs is false, though you have a point about the external build of Moto E.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Nope.

Talking about Canvas A1, Cortex-A7 is a core designed by ARM and both Mediatek and Qualcomm have licensed it from ARM and are using it directly. MT6582 has 4 of them, Snapdragon 200 only two.

Dunno about what's the case with Mali 400 and Adreno 302, but both should be around the same level since Mali 400 is too old. I might be wrong on this one. Mali 400 is again designed by ARM and Mediatek has licensed it. Adreno is Qualcomm's own design.

Neither Qualcomm or Mediatek have the ability to fabricate chips.

TSMC manufactures both Qualcomm and Mediatek chips, so no "low quality" thing if you're wondering; and being made on the same 28nm manufacturing process from TSMC, you'd expect them to have same power characterstics. Whatever you're saying about their SoCs is false, though you have a point about the external build of Moto E.

im saying this because my brother has a Moto E and a Lenovo S930 which has the same cpu as android one
its really slow and laggy compared to SD200 found on the Moto E,it could be the rom or something but hes tried changing launchers etc,no improvement,even apps are slow on it in comparison to Moto E

When i first saw the Moto E release even i used to believe cheaper snapdragon chipsets like the SD200 and SD400 were underpowered but the SD200 is actually a very capable cpu and handles stuff very well

the low quality thing isnt for the cpus,i was talking about the android one oems -spice,MMX and Karbonn who are notorious for poor after sales and build

the ARM thing is true but snapdragon performs better in real life than mediatek

the only reason one should consider the android one handsets over the Moto E is probably the inclusion of camera flash,otherwise the Premium sturdy feel of the Moto E puts most mid range handsets also to shame

i have two lenovo tablets both with mediatek and despite the good pricing etc, the lag and incompatibility issues which i face are rather surprising even though one of them is a quad core

Minion

Conversation Architect
im saying this because my brother has a Moto E and a Lenovo S930 which has the same cpu as android one
its really slow and laggy compared to SD200 found on the Moto E,it could be the rom or something but hes tried changing launchers etc,no improvement,even apps are slow on it in comparison to Moto E

Lag is due to unoptimized ROM.Android One devices comes with stock ROMs which rules out slow and laggyness due to unoptimized roms.changing launcher will do no good if kernel is unoptimized one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom