Minor upgrade required - PC

wilfred316

Broken In
Hi Guy's,
This is my current setup I wish to upgrade it a bit.
My budget is 10k - 12k I am looking to upgrade my Processor, Ram and Motherboard.
Please advise as my build is 3 years old.
I dont have a clear favorite of any brand as long as it works good in market.
Purpose of build is mid level gaming.
I play Battlefield V and it laggs and hangs sometimes with just 60 fps with this build with low settings.

Intel Core i5 6500
Gigabyte B150M-D3H
Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz
Antec VP550P -
Zotac GTX1060 6GB -
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -
Antec GX200
LG 22MP68VQ-P 22" LED IPS

I play Battlefield V and it laggs and hangs sometimes with just 60 fps with this build

Reply by @SaiyanGoku - Your budget is too low for upgrading them. Add Crucial MX500 500GB and another 8GB ram stick instead. Do note that newer AMD CPUs work better with faster ram in case you want to upgrade to them. 1060 is still good enough for 1080p60 at mid-high settings.

Last edited:

mitraark

Decrepit
I play Battlefield V and it laggs and hangs sometimes with just 60 fps with this build with low settings.

You need to upgrade the CPU, the lag is probably because of it. Although an i5 6th gen isnt bad. I m not sure if there's any other problem with your system. SSDs will result in faster load times, and its quite essential nowadays, but since you are on a budget, the CPU is what should be changed first todeal with the lag.

Having said that, any meaningful upgrade over your i5 6600 will cost 16-20k at least ( i5 9400F + 360 Board, better option would be Ryzen 5 3600 + 470 Board @ 23k) Decide for yourself now.

Last edited:

quicky008

Technomancer
what settings are you running BF V at?Does reducing it to low-mid level reduce the lagginess at all?

also many modern games tend to exhibit significantly slower performance when single channel ram is used.

OP
W

wilfred316

Broken In
If I just add another 8 GB Ram will help a bit? as im running only on 8 gb will 16 gb ram make sense?

Faster loading times with SSD makes sense but maybe later coz Im ok with it for now.

But what concerns me is lagging with that graphic card and the current setup.
Frame rate drop, Lagg, stuttering all with low settings.
I don't have any process booting up while startup as I removed most of them to test also I don't run browsers like Chrome and other in the background which uses up CPU significantly.

Last edited:

mitraark

Decrepit
If I just add another 8 GB Ram will help a bit?

Faster loading times with SSD makes sense but maybe later coz Im ok with it for now.

Yeah you can get an additional 8 GB RAM now, it wont cost much , 8 GB is not enough nowadays and dual channel setup will surely help a little bit.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I just add another 8 GB Ram will help a bit? as im running only on 8 gb will 16 gb ram make sense?

I don't have any process booting up while startup as I removed most of them to test also I don't run browsers like Chrome and other in the background which uses up CPU significantly.
I don't think adding ram will help that much unless you are using over 70-80% ram now(check task manager when lagging occurs).

quicky008

Technomancer
do you run the game in sp or mp mode?

if you know someone who might be having a spare 8gb ddr4 ram lying around and is willing to lend it to you for testing,then just get it and check whether the lagging stops/reduces when 2 ram sticks are installed in dual channel configuration or not.

As you own a nvidia card,its quite possible that geforce experience is attempting to auto-optimize the game by default,which might be causing the game to run at some pre-configured high setting which your system cant handle(this completely ignores the in-game settings that you may have configured manually and forces the game to run at different settings as configured by nvidia).Disable any optimization option that you may find in geforce experience and check whether the problem persists or not.

Also set all graphical options to low/medium in the game.

"Too low of a budget to get a big gain in performance or futureproofing. Better save more money & buy towards the end of the year when newer CPUs from Intel & AMD are out in the market. Say ~30k will get you an R5 4600 + B550 mobo + 2x8GB DDR4 RAM towards the end of the year, will be a great upgrade. With drop in prices of R5 3600, you can get a good upgrade for 20-25k maybe? GTX 1060 should be good for another 2 years, so maybe upgrade that in late 2021, maybe another 15-20k. Current 15k GPU like GTX 1650 Super performs similar to GTX 1060 6GB."

Top Bottom