Microsoft's Next Non Windows OS [Codenamed: Singularity]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikhil

Broken In
so does this mean that they(ms) will come out with a leaner meaner more efficient product in the near future(or have i started hallucinating)

G

ms is perfect ... can any1 tell me what is exactly microkernel ?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
They provide only the bare minimum of the services while user user-level programs are used to suppliment the additional functionality when required. Core functionality is speeded up along with low memory footage and customization options. GNU HURD, mac os, symbian, etc are microkernels.
What MS and linux supply are monolithic kernels, which means that it comes in only one possible configuration with all the functions/routines, regardless of whether you need them. Providing all the functions in the kernel means more speed of execution but a large memory footage.

nikhil

Broken In
one of the major plus points(benefits????) of linux is that of it's open license system where anyone can modify the linux to suit there needs. it's not a proprietory os. but it (according to me) is not very easy to use...since it has a very steep learning curve. i'm completly unfamiliar with it...i wish digit would come out with a "fast forward linux guide" for us novice users

can any1 tell me what is exactly microkernel ?

A Microkernel is a small o/s core that includes the minimal fundamental codes to perform any low level operation such as reading a bite from memory etc.
most probably this design essue was popularized by its use in the mack operating system

anandk

Distinguished Member
thnx 4 d nice piece of info !

:arrow: nice name > singularity !

"singularity" = a time in the future, when technological advances r so rapid, that humans will have the capacity to create super human intelligence, which will (?) lead to the redundance/obsolescence of the human race itself ! :shock:

OP
ShekharPalash

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
anandk said:
thnx 4 d nice piece of info !

:arrow: nice name > singularity !

"singularity" = a time in the future, when technological advances r so rapid, that humans will have the capacity to create super human intelligence, which will (?) lead to the redundance/obsolescence of the human race itself ! :shock:

:shock: :shock: yeah... name... I also liked it... :D lol... i also codenamed my final B.Tech. project Singularity.... :shock: ... my geekster friend Kshipra ven changed her cat's name from Minto >> Singularity.... WTF.... lol ... i guess for a cat Singu is much better.... lol ....

ujjwal

Padawan
I thought that micro kernels main benefit is that it makes the OS very portable. So does this mean microsoft is aiming at other (non x86) architectures?

Anyway, the news is very interesting for sure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom