Microsoft Vista SP1 coming tomorrow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

narangz

Web developer
Cant say about AnandK :lol: my self using the SP1 right through its testing time.. performance is certainly better, network works really smoth...

with x64 the Gaming performance seems better... also with SP1 the x86 runs pretty decent on a onboard M2N-MX SE with 512 MB (available ram is 480 MB)

so yeah its free so download and install :D

Not going to download huge file until its released by MS officially. I shall download it from Microsoft.com only :p

aku

Gonna make it BiG
hey guys,
today i'll be installing the vista sp1 iso.
everything seems real to me, i mean the build stamps of various executables.
lets see how it all goes.

PS. is there any way to update/ splitstream the sp1 into a Recovery DVD???

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
hey guys,

Let us know, do not activate it though. You can use it legally for 4 months.

No

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
There is a leacked ISO on torrents available with the same built number as SP1, however we don't know whether the content of that ISO are legal or not.

Anyone willing to test a 3 GB ISO download :D
It IS the real deal.. Verified by many! Im downloading it.. Should be done by tomorrow.

aku

Gonna make it BiG
should i do a virtual pc install?
cause i dont wanna go through re installing the oem copy again.
By the is there any diff in a patched vista and a splitstreamed one?

A

ankitsagwekar

hey guys,
can u plz tell me what is build number :confused:

aku

Gonna make it BiG
6001.18000.080118-1840

Btw, though its completely out of topic, is there any way to optimize font rendering in vista?... something like gnome? or may be mac os x???

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ

Microsoft doesn't recommend creating Vista "Lite" with vLite
"Microsoft does not recommend using any tool to strip out applications from Windows Vista prior to installing it on your system, as it may affect your ability to download future Windows updates and service packs, and may cause your system to become unstable", the company said in an e-mail to CNET News.com.

add, but dont strip:p

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
should i do a virtual pc install?
cause i dont wanna go through re installing the oem copy again.

Virtual PC install will be of no use. Either install it on harddisk or don't install at all.

By the is there any diff in a patched vista and a splitstreamed one?

What do u mean? If you have Vista RTM ISO/DVD then you cannot make a slipstreamed edition as it is not supported. You need to install Vista RTM & then install Service Pack 1 via Windows Update or standalong exe in March.

The only way you can get Windows Vista + SP1 integrated is

1) Torrents, but you cannot be sure about the authenticity of the content.
2) If it is an OEM computer, then ask your vendor to send you a new DVD of Vista + SP1, they might ask for a nominal fees though.
3) Starting from April, all the retail boxes is stores will be having Vista + SP1 in it.

The benefits of slipstreaming SP1 in Vista isn't there. Sinec Vista has an image based installation now, whether you slipstream or install via a standalone setup, there will be no performance difference & all you will loose is about 100 MB of Harddisk space (for backed up files).

]quote]Btw, though its completely out of topic, is there any way to optimize font rendering in vista?... something like gnome? or may be mac os x???[/quote]

You got a LCD or CRT monitor?

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
*img181.imageshack.us/img181/1941/snag0000yb1.th.jpg
Set it like this then set the interface fonts as Segoe UI & Size as u like.

aku

Gonna make it BiG
dude, i've tried that, and with the smoothing method set to standard, it looks horrible, no anti aliasing...
man, vista seriously needs some improvement on this aspect.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^ Open notepad and paste following code and save the file with name "Vishal.reg" and then run the file:

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop]
"FontSmoothing"="2"
"FontSmoothingGamma"=dword:000003e8
"FontSmoothingOrientation"=dword:00000001
"FontSmoothingType"=dword:00000002
Restart or log off and you'll notice the change. Now fonts will look better. These are settings which I'm using atm. Tell me whether you liked it or not. :)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
dude, i've tried that, and with the smoothing method set to standard, it looks horrible, no anti aliasing...
man, vista seriously needs some improvement on this aspect.

That's Y I said to change the interface font to SegoeUI

anandk

Distinguished Member
Windows Vista SP1 has started appearing on Windows Update ! Folks are beginning to see the presence of Vista SP1 under their available updates.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Dunno how true this is, but: *www.news.com/Microsoft-pulls-Vista-SP1-update/2100-1016_3-6231299.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
The ISO I downloaded & the one Kalpik couriered me is same in size but I haven't checked the md5 hash yet......I trust the connect source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom