Microsoft launches new low-cost PC effort in India.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
Beginning next month, Microsoft and its partners plan to start selling the IQ PC through computer retailers, bookshops and other stores in Bangalore and Pune, with plans to sell it throughout the country by November. The company expects the machines to start selling for 21,000 Indian rupees ($513), though it hopes to bring those prices down over time.

The computers are aimed at students from kindergarten to 12th grade, and the IQ PC will be built on AMD-developed hardware made by Zenith Computers. The PCs are set to include Microsoft's Windows Vista Basic, Works and Student 2007, as well as third-party software, including exam preparation, homework help and English-language learning programs. Microsoft also announced a test version of an online MSN IQ Education Channel.

*news.com.com/Microsoft+launches+ne...n+India/2100-1041_3-6193650.html?tag=nefd.top

"India faces a serious challenge in providing quality education, a critical factor in ensuring that children begin with a fair level of opportunity," Microsoft Senior Vice President Orlando Ayala said in a blog posting from India, where he kicked off the effort with the head of Microsoft India. "If applied correctly, technology holds great potential to meet this challenge."

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i appreciate the move by MS :) a good start :)

anandk said:
The company expects the machines to start selling for 21,000 Indian rupees ($513), though it hopes to bring those prices down over time."
21k is still expensive. i hope the prices are lowered down soon mebbe around 15k or less. hope MS gives more subsidy on vista basic and student versions to bring the overall cost to abt 15k. actually why jus students, i think 80% of MS software users need only vista basic and student editions of most software. as of what i've seen majority of them use only abt 40% of the features provided by the "ultimate" version!!! people shud understand and estimate their needs and get software accordingly. this will help curb piracy.

anandk said:
"India faces a serious challenge in providing quality education...
however, i completely disagree wid this point made by MS executives!

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
Can I know the Config of 21k PC? :D ...Since Its Windows Vista Home basic :( ..It might not a fair price...coz We can get a Windows Vista Ultimate Config PC for same price :)

Sourabh

Laptoping
Specifics of the hardware configuration is not known. It will be powered by an AMD processor and will be built by Wipro & Zenith together. Other than that there is no information on the same.

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
@Rakesh, you are right. If they want to have kids learn computers, its good enough to have a rig which can run XP Pro or Home. If they make the switch here, the prices can be as low as Rs.12,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom