Micromax enters TV market

rider

as Kratos
*cdn.ndtv.com/tech/gadget/image/Micromax_LED.jpg

Micromax enters TV market, launches LED TV starting Rs. 15,990

Mobile handset maker Micromax announced its foray into the television segment with the launch of a range of LED TVs priced between Rs. 15,990 and Rs. 1,29,990.
The company expects a revenue of Rs. 225 crore from this the TV segment in this fiscal.

"Televisions is a natural progression. As consumers evolve, they want their devices and experience to be smart and personal. We aim to partner the growing aspirations of the digital consumers at all levels," says, Rajesh Agarwal, Micromax Managing Director and Co-founder .

The company is targeting 5-8 percent of revenues (Rs. 140-225 crore) this fiscal from the television segment, he added.

The LED TVs will be initially launched in nine states like Delhi, Haryana, Maharashtra, Karnataka and Rajasthan across 24-inch to 55-inch range. The televisions will be priced between Rs. 15,990 and Rs. 1,29,990.

Micromax, which sells mobile phones and tablet PCs in India, SAARC and the Middle East countries, is aiming to grow overall revenues to Rs 2,800 crore for year ending March 2013.

"In the next one year, we are looking at sales of one lakh units (TVs)...In the next two years, the aim would be to increase the TV segment contribution to 20 percent of the revenues," Agarwal said.

He added that though the overall television market is growing at 15-16 percent, the LED TV segment is witnessing 100 percent. LED and LCD TVs comprise 35 percent of the 17-18 million units market and is a fast growing segment.

The company is targetting 8-10 percent market share of the LED TV market.

Micromax will assemble the LEDs at its new facility in Rudrapur, Uttarakhand. It is investing Rs. 100 crore in the plant.

"We have set up an assembly line in Rudrapur, which has a capacity of 2,000 units. This will eventually be ramped up to 5,000 units. The facility will also manufacture tablet PCs and mobile accessories," he said.

A major chunk of the investment has already gone in and in the next 2-3 years, a total of Rs 100 crore would be invested.

For distribution and after sales, the company will use its existing channels. Its also in the process of setting up its own service centres.

Micromax is launching its home theatre range and SMART Stick, using which users can connect to the Internet through their television sets.

"SMART Stick will be priced at Rs. 5000 and will connect to any television with an HDMI port. Its like a dongle and will help users access Internet on their TVs," Micromax Director Mukesh Gupta said.

Amkette and Akai have similar devices available in the market.

Source: NDTV

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Can't predict anything about their future in it, but all I'll say is: Lets wait and see.

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
The picture in your post,is it the one by Micromax or is it just a random image?

It's the real picture. As micromax logo is at the bottom.

More Info: *igyaan.in/2012/10/31073/micromax-adds-third-screen-portfolio-unveils-range-led-tvs/

The main concern is what panel they are using..?

raghupratap

Broken In
I am really wondering about their offerings - their main selling plank is affordability. The TVs are priced actually very cheap - the 55 inch 3D Smart TV model is priced at just 1.29 lakhs. Compare this to the the other "leading" brands - similar Smart TV offerings are priced at least 20% higher. How did Micromax manage this - remember they are competing with the Likes of LG, Samsung and Sony - TV makers that have global economies of scale.

I am really wondering about their offerings - their main selling plank is affordability. The TVs are priced actually very cheap - the 55 inch 3D Smart TV model is priced at just 1.29 lakhs. Compare this to the the other "leading" brands - similar Smart TV offerings are priced at least 20% higher. How did Micromax manage this - remember they are competing with the Likes of LG, Samsung and Sony - TV makers that have global economies of scale.

Just 20% cheaper is not enough to sell.No one is going to spend 1.3 Lakh on a Micromax! Anyone will say let me pay 20% more and get a reputed brand!

SijuS

Broken In
Mircomax is here, Micromax is there, Micromax is everywhere now :D

And yes, they will be able to sell 24"-32" models pretty easily since their pricing will be affordable. Cant really say about the big screens though.

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Just 20% cheaper is not enough to sell.No one is going to spend 1.3 Lakh on a Micromax! Anyone will say let me pay 20% more and get a reputed brand!

I'm sure local prices would be much much less. All in all its a desi brand.

i don't think they are competing with big brands like samsung, sony and LG. These would be more affordable and will compete with videocon, toshiba, onida, akai etc.

Micromax sticks to last generation displays and Internals on their phones.

Example: A90 launched in august 2012 with AMOLED screen compare it with Samsung Galaxy S launched in 2010

So can't expect much in LED TVs too

Ohhh,so you meant to say that Quality of the LED displays is going to be as bad as the Micromax mobiles Display.
Might be you are right as i've seen the difference between a cheap Loydd LED tv and a Samsung LED tv. There was a noticeable difference.

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Micromax sticks to last generation displays and Internals on their phones.

Example: A90 launched in august 2012 with AMOLED screen compare it with Samsung Galaxy S launched in 2010

So can't expect much in LED TVs too
:lol: sorry! your logic is not applicable here. A90 is very low budget friendly smartphone that's why they put inferior screen. These TV segment is completely different platform and you can not compare technology with mobile phones.

amjath

Human Spambot
World is moving towards OLED's and 4k tv's I'm sure they will come LED backlit TV and EDGE LED backlit TV for high end by that time u ll see OLED coming to market

Even if u comapre present LED TV you ll see the difference.
Example Videocon LED TV vs Sony or Samsung or LG LED TV see the difference in picture quality.

Micromax only strategy is to gain market share in India, they got it. So now they are looking to gain profits out of it.

Last edited:
OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
World is moving towards OLED's and 4k tv's I'm sure they will come LED backlit TV and EDGE LED backlit TV for high end by that time u ll see OLED coming to market

Even if u comapre present LED TV you ll see the difference.
Example Videocon LED TV vs Sony or Samsung or LG LED TV see the difference in picture quality.

Micromax only strategy is to gain market share in India, they got it. So now they are looking to gain profits out of it.

Yes, OLED and 4K TV are in future, right now they are not available in the market by any brand. Current estimated prices on 55-inch OLEDs is somewhere close to $10,000 (around 5 lac). It's no better for 4K. LG's 84-inch 4K is $19,999 (around 10 lac), whereas Sony's is $24,999 (around 12.5 lac). How can they come in price of high end backlit LED TVs? :lol: As I said above about micromax TVs that
These would be more affordable and will compete with videocon, toshiba, onida, akai etc.

amjath

Human Spambot
What my concern is the quality. It should be increased a bit and compete against the big heads.

Top Bottom