[Merged] Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 out now

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
planetcall said:
Also, a defect in IE impacts the entire Windows due to tight coupling....whereas same is not true with FF.

Thats why i insisted to chk the new version b4 sharing ur view , many things are fixed in IE7 , including the one u mentioned. :)

eddie

El mooooo
tarey_g said:
Thats why i insisted to chk the new version b4 sharing ur view , many things are fixed in IE7 , including the one u mentioned. :)
Don't get too excited. You don't know what will happen in upcoming versions of Windows. AFAI can see, they did this only because they had just two choices in order to get IE7 to work on XP
1) Change the existing framework of XP's explorer to the new tab enabled and new look shell of IE7, or
2) Let the existing explorer framework of XP be the way it is and allow IE7 to install its new framework separately.

You can imagine how devastating it can be to fiddle with existing explorer stuff, so they have taken the 2nd more obvious and easier approach but we never know what they will do in Vista. I personally believe that they will go with a single newer framework for both IE and Explorer so that it will not be a liability to manage both old and new stuff...result? Back to square one!!! :)

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista runs in isolation from other applications in the operating system. Exploits and malicious software are restricted from writing to any location beyond Temporary Internet Files without explicit user consent.

planetcall

Indian by heart
Microsoft was determined not to release IE separately. It was due to be released packed with vista. But the recent attacks have forced MS for a face saving act. Yeah Eddie! it is not easy to play with the already established architecture of Windows. IE is so tightly coupled in windows that decoupling would demand playing around with numerous other softwares. The worst thing I feel is that many softwares depend on the configurations of IE which make those softwares highly vulnerable even if they are inherently very nicely programmed. That is why with SP2 MS has deliberately blocked the default usage of ActiveX and several other vulnerable options. Though you may change it.
On my XP+SP2 I have configured IE to a very high level of security and use FF for browsing. I hope that it atleast prevents my windows from any attempt that intrudes through IE.

eddie

El mooooo
tarey_g said:
Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista runs in isolation from other applications in the operating system. Exploits and malicious software are restricted from writing to any location beyond Temporary Internet Files without explicit user consent.
That is not a feature of IE7 but the lesson that Vista learned from Linux. "Make people run the OS as normal users and not as admins". Almost everyone I have seen, runs Win XP as admin but Vista encourages users to do it differently which in turn makes IE to write to only temp files. As far as running in isolation is concerned...I don't think that is possible for something as vital as IE. You run it as admin and you'll be screwed just the way you should be.

G

gxsaurav

eddie said:
2) Let the existing explorer framework of XP be the way it is and allow IE7 to install its new framework separately.

You can imagine how devastating it can be to fiddle with existing explorer stuff, so they have taken the 2nd more obvious and easier approach but we never know what they will do in Vista:)

& how do u know this, do u work for MS, do u know how IE works internally?

only home users use XP the way u r saying, with Group Policy editor, XP SP2 pro can be customised specifically for a user easily

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
gxsaurav said:
eddie said:

You can imagine how devastating it can be to fiddle with existing explorer stuff, so they have taken the 2nd more obvious and easier approach but we never know what they will do in Vista:)

NO its no matter what eddie knows , its just what he thinks , like this one

eddie said:
As far as running in isolation is concerned...I don't think that is possible for something as vital as IE. You run it as admin and you'll be screwed just the way you should be.

the registry and other dir's are off limit even if u are the admin , and u can confirm this from the ms site . also google for more info on the security features of ie7 .
:wink:

eddie

El mooooo
gxsaurav said:
eddie said:

If only you ever tried to know what happens under the hood of your system, you would have known about it as well *without working for MS* but I guess you were busy in fixing BSODs?

Anyways, just so you know IE7 introduced a new DLL i.e. IEFRAME.DLL to provide tabbed browsing while the older explorer uses SHDOCVW.DLL and BROWSEUI.DLL for its working. Now, either they could've patched the explorer 6 DLLs and risked screwing something major or introduced a new DLL. Took the latter and easier approach. Understood? Nice!

only home users use XP the way u r saying, with Group Policy editor, XP SP2 pro can be customised specifically for a user easily
Yeah and I am sure XP is not installed on many Home PCs. If users had that much of knowledge and desire to work their way towards security, we would have Linux on 95% of Desktops.

eddie

El mooooo
tarey_g said:
NO its no matter what eddie knows , its just what he thinks , like this one
Whatever...

the registry and other dir's are off limit even if u are the admin , and u can confirm this from the ms site . also google for more info on the security features of ie7 .
:wink:
If you are talking about UAP then don't even get me started on that or I'll die laughing.

I am not going to take part in this discussion anymore because people who know cypher about their systems have started making silly remarks. Enjoy IE7. I am sure you people will love it :)

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
I dont think there is anything to laugh upon . User Account Protection is a good feature , the idea of users member of the admin group to run most apps in the elevated mode will add to security in vista . IE7 takes benifit of UAP , it will just not be applicable on the built in local admin account .

Was using the UNOFFICAL BETA 2 release, had some BUGs!
G8 to knw eveything has been fixed with this offical release!

! BLAST FROM THE PAST ! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom