Memory Distribution in Xperia U

tv1991

Right off the assembly line
I just bought a xperia u!
Its manual says that out of 8gb space available, 4gb is for media, 2gb is for applications and remaining 2gb is for flash memory. Can anybody tell me what this flash memory is used for.
Also RAM is 512mb. And when i check it in memory management it shows 183mb used and 110mb available. So just want to know that where is rest of ram memory used?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
4GB for Media (Eg. SD Card)
2GB for Application (You install via Play Store)
2GB Flash Memory (Memory on which ROM Resides / Better say System Memory i.e. C:/ in Windows)

The RAM issue you stated is normal considering the case of many phones. Generally the RAM used by the ROM is not shown. So 183MB used by the running Running Apps and 110MB RAM Free.

You generally don't need to worry about free RAM, because OS handles it very intelligently. Generally Windows users asks the same question when they come to Linux or *nix type OS. As the concept of Free RAM doesn't exists generally. OS allocates the whole RAM to the Apps and everything, when some new App fires up it allocates it within.

So the concept, (specially in Windows), that if more RAM is free you can run more Apps doesn't works.

Well, my explanation may not be right, but that's the thing I wanted to meant. So it kinda works that way.

Top Bottom