Media Center Cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoenixAG

Broken In
Hi all,

Nice to be here on the Digit forum. I've been a reader of digit ever since it started.

I have a lot of machines and now I've been working towards making one of my old machines into a media center PC to connect with my LCD Tv.

The specs are:

P4 3.0ghz
1GB PC-3200 ram
250GB HDD
nvidia 7300GS
CoolerMaster 430w

So as per now, I bought a media center remote off ebay and it works great. I installed XP media center 2005. Bought an Avermedia M116 MCE TV Tuner (this card has native composite in and is MCE certified) so that I can connect my Tata Sky to it.

I am looking for a good media center case for this machine. A media center case should be horizontally aligned and should have a slot for the dvd drive in the front. So that means no tower cases. Have you guys seen any in the market? Preferably in Delhi. I checked ebay and found an Antec one but its for Rs. 16,000, which is too high a price, considering all I am doing is putting to use one of my old machines.

Do you know of any places where I can order a reasonably priced media center cabinet or where I can buy one? Preferably from Nehru Place but I don't mind anywhere in Delhi.

Also, which keyboard/mouse combo do you recommend? Obviously I am looking for a wireless solution. I had a Microsoft Wireless Explorer 2.0 mouse lying around but its not got a good range. In fact, it needs line of sight with its receiver (for some reason).
My current logitech mouse seems to have good range.

Any recommendations? Preferably under Rs.4000 for the kb/mouse.

Thanks a lot! :)

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
That antec model is available with Comnet Vision NP new delhi for 13800/- but its still quite expensive.

Last edited:
OP
PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG

Broken In
Ok, I will check out the case in Comnet Vision today. Let me see..if I like it, I might be persuaded to part with my money. But I was reading up the specs on Antec's site and apparently, it only supports micro ATX motherboards and I have an ATX motherboard.

So I am not sure whether any media center case will fit now... :( And if I get into changing the motherboard and all then this project will just end up taking too much money..

I know Comnet Vision quite well and the owner, PK Sharma...I used to get my computers made from them before I started making them myself. And before I found out they are always Rs. 500-1000 over the street price of NP. :)

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
well they are over price but provide a showroom to test things out, they let me test things if I am satisfied only then buy, else I am not obliged to buy from them, thats something nobody in nehru place does.

But I feel antec is too expensive for this MCE, look for alternatives if you can find one in iball, they have some case like that not sure if it will fit your requirements.

OP
PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG

Broken In
Thanks a lot. Yes, I do know that they let you test things out. In fact, once I had a faulty graphics card and they immediately replaced it. So that way they are excellent.
Hehe, now that I think of it, I remember why I used to go to them. Because in the lalagiri of Nehru place, they were the only ones who had some idea of professionalism.

Well, lets see. Only once I reach there will I find out. I am leaving in the next 5 mins. Just came here for some last min advice.

Do you have any suggestions for a good kb/mouse combo with good range?

P.S. I was looking at our machine specs and noticed what similar specs we both have :)

..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
I need one too. Is there a cheapo with a small LCD touchscreen like all those groovy media center cabinets?

I think we can effectively forget about a case with a touch screen in India. It's hard enough finding an MCE case as it is.
Also, from the prices I have seen on the net for those cases, I don't think anybody would be carrying them here.
They retail for US$300-500 in the US, so of course, when you bring them over here, they might be a bit more.

Last edited:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
once I had a faulty graphics card and they immediately replaced it. So that way they are excellent.
Yes since they know that they will get the replacement, where almost others in NP will now send u to the service center to run from one end to another to get ur warranty.
Because in the lalagiri of Nehru place, they were the only ones who had some idea of professionalism.
Mr. PK Sharma himself is an IT guy & have 4 showroms in span of last 5 years in delhi, he is one guy who would go an extra mile to provide u service. MY 1st comp was bought from them so was my latest comp too, in last 6 years I have got 42 comps configured for my friends from them, 7-8 for our own office.
Do you have any suggestions for a good kb/mouse combo with good range?
I used logitech in past but for my new comp I bought a silicon based rubber collasipable keyboard,, its very soothing on the fingers. Now I only use logitech wireless mouse not the keyboard.
I was looking at our machine specs and noticed what similar specs we both have
I noticed that too but thats quite usual here bcoz I got this machine by discussing every part in detail with fellow member here making sure I get it right, specially Sam9s, he too have the similar config.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
See the Antec Media Centre Cabinet which is not that costly.
*www.theitdepot.com/product.php?cat=5&sub_category_id=11&product_id=1249

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
yes thats half the price but don't know whats the difference between the two
*www.theitdepot.com/product.php?cat=5&sub_category_id=11&product_id=1249
*www.theitdepot.com/images/proimages/200_001249.jpg

*www.theitdepot.com/product.php?cat=5&sub_category_id=11&product_id=378
*www.theitdepot.com/images/proimages/200_000378.jpg

OP
PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG

Broken In
Thanks for the excellent link, janitha! That could be just perfect.
ranjan, the difference between the 2 is that the more expensive one has an lcd screen in the front and a volume knob.

But, on second thoughts, this one is a micro ATX one too. Means I can't use it for my PC without changing my motherboard.

What I would really like is this one:
*www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php...pc-case-wtft-touchscreen-and-ir-module-silver

But its US$600!! It supports ATX motherboards and looks like it'll be a joy to mess around with...hehe...one can dream, eh?

Anyway, I went to NP today. First stop, Comnet Vision. Met Rajiv Juneja (I usually deal with him as he knows me since a long time). Asked for a media center cabinet and was promptly shown the one on display (the Antec one). The price? Rs. 14,800. Before I could say anything, he told me that its crazily expensive and I should not go for it (lol).
So I asked for others.
After a lot of dilly dallying with no result, I moved out into the open market. No one had a media center case capable of an ATX board. I found a nice media center cabinet for Rs. 1500. It broke my heart when I heard that it didn't support ATX :(

Anyway, picked up a nice tower case from RR Systems. Picked up Logitech 2.1 speakers (enough for my bedroom). And got a really nice Microsoft original media center IR keyboard for Rs. 4850. It has an onboard mouse and works with the IR receiver I already have for the MCE remote control. Slim and feels like quality, I knew I was going to buy it the moment I saw it (at Computer Empire).
Well, for a MCE comp, these are your input options. Remote, Wireless Mouse, Wireless KB. Remote is a no brainer. The wireless mouse/kb are big problems. Seems like the RF ones don't have the range at all. Even the dealers agreed with me. I was advised to go for a Bluetooth wireless kb/mouse.
The only catch? There aren't any available in the market!! :)

So I picked up the MS kb as soon as I saw it. My input needs are over and the remote and the kb both work great.

Came home, setup everything and put the system on. Seemed to work ok till I rebooted. Seems like LCD TVs are very finicky about the resolution and refresh rate they're getting.
I was able to see the POST screens and even the Windows loading screen, but when Windows changed modes to go into its desktop, the display would crash with the message "Mode Not Supported".

Well, after trying various resolutions and refresh rates, I was stumped. Thought I'd need a new graphics card (probably an nvidia as they have good driver support for HDTVs). I thought this as I was using the onboard Intel gfx card and it frankly has terrible drivers.
Yeah, I was using the onboard gfx card :p I sold my old PCI-E card on ebay because I didn't think I would ever need it.

Anyway, I left the problem alone to go for dinner. Came back an hour ago and was at it again. This time, I'd resolved to fix it. 10 mins later I installed Powerstrip (excellent software). Then I locked the display timing to 60hz.
Everything works now.

Seems that when Windows changed modes to go into its desktop, the refresh rate changed from 60 to something else. So it always used to hang. I knew something was up with that because if I booted my computer into the desktop and then attached the cable, I could see the desktop just fine.

Anyway, all's well that ends well. Now that everything's working, I must say that Media Center is a tremendous experience. Excellent to listen to music, watch movies and see pictures. I haven't put the TV Tuner in as I don't have it as yet. Hopefully, I get it soon.
And I think its going to get even better with the network syncing. I have all my computers on a wifi network so it'll constantly stay in sync with my main comp to get the new files.

I am very satisfied! (Till the next time when I get some money and change the motherboard and get a fancy case)

OP
PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG

Broken In
I bought it from eBay from a guy in the UK. It cost me 17 pounds plus 5 pounds shipping. So total 22 pounds which comes to about Rs. 1800. And the remote reached me in 4 days! :)

I find myself mostly using the remote as all my videos/music/pictures are already on the MCE comp. I use the keyboard only if I want to change some settings in windows or for surfing, etc. It's easier to type with the keyboard too if you use the media center messenger (which connects to MSN networks).

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Congrats for ur dream machine, it feels so nice when u get ur comp as per ur specifications here in India.

Some pix of ur set up & features u mention will help a lot to others who may want this setup. Can u post images?

OP
PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG

Broken In
Sure, I'll post pictures. What kind do you want? Of the overall setup or of the cabling or ...?

Give me a day or two and I'll be ready with pictures :)

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
From a layman's point of view I would like to see what & how does MCE works, the keyboard & the remote u bought, images help members to understand better than the words.
We all shall wait to see ur setup which now makes u so happy.

OP
PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG

Broken In
Ok, I decided to take pictures today only and post :)

Btw, I must again say...if you have an HDTV...don't wait! Just go and built a Media Center PC today! Its amazing. So convenient. I had downloaded movies but never found the time to watch them. Now, with this whole setup, I just watched a movie today and finished it. The whole experience is so smooth, you don't want to leave it at all.

I uploaded the pics to Picasa's web album as the limits on this board do not permit me to post them here.

Firstly, this is the remote I bought:

*www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=065

And this is the IR Keyboard:

*www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=038

My quest to find a good case for the MCE PC ended in failure as no case in India would fit an ATX board. So, I got a standard black case with a cool blue LED around the power button. It's not wonderful, but I think its cool looking.
I got cheap Logitech speakers, I think the model is R-20. With a little bit of tweaking with the equalizer, they sound really good. However, in their initial state, I think they are very bass heavy.

All the other things, I am going to explain picture by picture.

Also, in some of the pictures, there are some lines on the screen. This is just due to the camera and the fact that I took these pics in a hurry, mostly one handedly. The actual screen looks very beautiful and absolutely crystal clear.

Here's the album link:
*picasaweb.google.com/vseera/MediaCenter

Ok, the explanations...picture by picture:

1. In this you can see the whole setup, from top to bottom. Yeah, its a mess. But so is my room :p Actually, I need the carpenter to come and drill a few holes at the back so I can run my wires down the back so they don't show.

2. This one shows you the main view of Media Center. I have it setup now that whenever the computer starts, it directly goes into Media Center. From here, you can select whatever you want (Music, Movies, Pictures). The lack of a TV option is due to the fact that I still haven't received my TV Tuner card. However, I have already made all arrangements for it, as will be seen in later pics.

3. This is the view inside My Videos. Lets you select a video or see its details, etc.

4. A movie being played. The video might look a bit fuzzy but its really clear. It just looks blurred because I didn't pause it and took this shot with one hand.

5. The video being played and you can also sort of see the interface which comes up if you want to forward the video or see the position, etc.

6. The menu which comes up when you stop a movie.

7. The view in My Pictures. All albums are neatly layed out and you can view a slideshow, listen to music while viewing, etc. You can also zoom in on pictures and perform rudimentary editing tasks, etc.

8. The view in My Music. The list is sorted by Albums and some of them have a downloaded Album cover as well.

9. My Music view. List sorted by Artists.

10. My Music view. By Playlists.

11. My Music view. The search feature. You can search by anything, name of song, artist, album, etc. And you can use the remote to search!! You can also use the keyboard of course but using the remote is a great feature.

12. You can also sign into MSN Messenger from the interface and it'll give you alerts, etc between a movie or a song, etc if someone is sending you messages. Very slick piece of software and works very well. Can use remote or keyboard to chat.

13. The More programs view. If you install any Media Center compatible programs, they go here. There are 3 icons here by default, Messenger, Sync to Device and Burn CD/DVD.

14. When you click on the X button in MCE, it gives you the option to Close Media Center, Log Off, Shut Down, Stand By, Hibernate, etc.

15. My Music view. A song playing with its album cover shown and the time elapsed, track number and total time displayed. You can see the various options as well.

16. The keyboard and all my remotes layed out :) The first remote is for the Samsung DVD player. Second one is the TV's remote. 3rd is Media Center's remote and the fourth is Tata Sky's remote.

17. The Media Center remote :)

18. The MS IR Keyboard. You can see the joystick mouse in the top right. It also has all buttons of the remote so it can perform the same functions.

19. The other side of the keyboard. On the top left you can see click and right click buttons. When you hold it in your hands with the left thumb on click and the right thumb on the joystick, it makes it very easy to control the computer.

20. The back of the TV. The top ports are connected with Component cables to my DVD player. The bottom ports are connected with the Composite cables coming from the Tata Sky connection. On the right you see the VGA cable from the MCE computer.

21. Ok, this is my own ingenuity. You see, set top box connections like Tata Sky can't be shared across multiple TVs. You need separate set top boxes for each connection. No way was I EVER going to get another set top box for my TV Tuner card. So I got these small connectors.
I attached the Tata Sky cables from one end (the left side with the single connector) and attached 2 composite cables to the other side. Of course, I got 3 separate connectors for the Red, White and Yellow. So each cable is separately split. Then I just connect one composite cable to the TV and the other one to the TV Tuner. I tested this and it works perfectly.

22. The bottom part of the whole setup. You can see the speakers and the small IR Receiver on top of the set top box.

23. Now you can see the receiver more clearly.

Media Center is an awesome software. I found a software called HP Tunes for it which lets you use your iTunes music in Media Center, including playlists and files. So its flexible and supports a wide variety of stuff.

I had problems playing DVDs till I found out that you need an MPEG2 decoder to play DVDs and some media. Well, there are currently 3 which MCE supports. PowerDVD, WinDVD and NVDVD (nvidia's decoder). So, you have to install one of these softwares to play a DVD.

So I guess thats it. Don't know what else to write. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Hey thats a long post will take some gud time to read, but thats quite a good review of what you purchased, it will help others too decide if they wish to make such arrangements.

Thanks for detailed text along with images.............................now even I am interested in this setup but may do it with my Lenovo 20" LCD as of now.

OP
PhoenixAG

PhoenixAG

Broken In
I am typing this from the MCE pc :) You should go for it.

I've always wanted to be able to watch my divx videos on the TV but hadn't found a good way until now. I used to burn CD-RWs of divx files and then play them on my dvd player, which is divx compatible. But it wasn't an ideal solution.

I was looking at various media receivers but they've been too expensive until now.

And finally, I was eagerly waiting for the launch of Apple TV and had decided to get that......until I found out that it has no native support for Divx.

But really, an MCE comp is a hundred times better than any media receiver can be.

And I can of course, even use it as a media receiver. I just need to tell Media Center to look in a specified network folder. Or I can map a network drive.

If you do decide to go for it, do post here!

P.S. In the Online Showcase part of media center, you can watch video steams of news/entertainment/sports etc. and you can also stream music from the internet and listen. You can even watch the video screens full screen, so no one can tell that its not a real live TV broadcast.
BUT, you need a fast connection and I found that my 256kbps unlimited is not fast enough for it.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
There is sooooooooooo much to learn in technology, I will read this thread when I am free & then see what my plans are , I too have a old PC lying ideal. I can make gud use of it or integrate it with my present system to watch movies & TV when free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom