Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
After 15 years, the first singleplayer MechWarrior game is being developed by Piranha Games.

Announced at MechCon 2016, Piranha Games is taking MechWarrior back to its singleplayer roots with MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries. Slated for a 2018 release, Piranha Games president Russ Bullock took the stage to reveal the first footage of MechWarrior 5, which is being developed using Unreal Engine 4. You can watch that demo in the video above and head over to MW5mercs.com for more info.

Though details are scarce, what we do know is that MechWarrior 5 is a completely standalone singleplayer game being developed by Piranha Games using a separate team than the one currently supporting MechWarrior Online, its multiplayer-only CryEngine game that went into open beta in 2012. MechWarrior 5 will feature "intense PvE ‘Mech combat in an immersive, career-based Mercenary campaign driven by player choice."

If you're not too familiar with the series, MechWarrior is the tactical FPS offshoot of BattleTech, where players pilot a single BattleMech and issue orders to squads (called 'lances') of AI-controlled allies. Set during the Third Succession War of 3015, MechWarrior 5 puts you in the cockpit of a "green MechWarrior mercenary" caught in the conflict by factions vying to control the Inner Sphere—the region of space surrounding Earth. True to MechWarrior, pilots won't just need to prove themselves on the battlefield but will also oversee the maintenance and enhancement of their BattleMechs. Along with the emphasis on player choice, MechWarrior 5 seems to adhere closely to the traditions established by the earlier MechWarrior games.

Aside from the demo, you can feast your eyes on the screenshots below to see what a MechWarrior game in Unreal 4 looks like. Spoiler alert: Pretty damn good. With the turn-based BattleTech strategy game coming in 2017, there's an exciting future ahead for fans of mech-on-mech combat.

Stay tuned, as I'll be bringing more coverage of MechWarrior 5 (and BattleTech) straight from MechCon.

Source: MechWarrior 5 announced, first trailer revealed | PC Game

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Good to hear but it was monotonous while playing it back then.

Maps do change but no variety then.

Hoping that the new game will be better.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Back then it was basically the era of arena shooters. Also, MechWarrior incorporated a lot of mechanics and created a proper tactical Mech simulator even with relatively lower powered machines back then.

Also, this is going to be totally singleplayer, so I guess there will be some good story-line.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Was one of the games I drooled over when I was 12, always wanted to play them, never had the powerful machine!

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I had played MechWarrior long time ago, don't remember the version. Was pretty new to gaming in general but from what I remember the graphics were pretty similar to Recoil.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
This is footage from the previously cancelled MechWarrior 5 that was instead made into MechWarrior Online:

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

gameranand

Living to Play
I hope this one doesn't get cancelled because the slated release date is quite far and I have seen many games get cancelled in that timeline.

Top Bottom