MANDRIVA LINUX 2007 Instalation PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Hello Gentlemen...especially the champions of Linux...
PLEASE HELP me (a Die hard Windows fan) to solve the below problem...I heard so much about Linux (for the past 4 years more so this year especially in this forum) that I decide to give it a go and I installed Mandriva Linux 2007.

First I tried to install it on my external USB HDD but did not have the expertise to figure it out so I installed it on a totally empty partition of my internal SATA HDD. Everything went well as far as the Installation is concerned but after the system asked me to restart I got 3 options on a Mandriva Linux 2007 screen
1. linux
2. windows
3. failsafe

First I chose option 1. linux, and the following msg showed up (after a whole bunch of scripts running with everything saying OK on a black screen)

Mandriva Linux release 2007.0 (official) for x86_64
Kernal 2.6.17-5mdv on a Dual-Processor x86_64 / tty1
local host login:

and when I press enter it asks me for the same msg...but if I put in any name there it asks me for a password (but I had not selected any username or password when I installed the linux OS even though it asked me for it)...so I reloaded the whole thing again and this time I chose a username & password after the reinstallation of Mandriva OS I got the SAME above msg...this time it accepts my username but when I enter the password in the password field the cursor does NOT even move to the next field to enter the next alphabet of my password.

After this unsuccessful attempt I restarted the PC and chose option 3. failsafe but this time I got this following msg:

Telling INIT to go single user mode.
INIT: Going single user
sh-3.1#

...thats it nothing happens after that...I tried entering my username but it says "bad command"

Based on the above info provided would you be so kind as to solve my problem...preferably I'd like to be able to use Mandriva Linux 2007 up & running but I do not want a useless Linux post screen showing up on my PC as I have to keep selecting option 2. windows each time I start my PC.

I am a COMPLETE NOVICE TO LINUX, so you will have to explain it in very simple terms without any Jaragon please.

Thanks in Advance for your replies.

The Outsider

Beneath The Eyelids
caleb said:
but when I enter the password in the password field the cursor does NOT even move to the next field to enter the next alphabet of my password.

the cursor won't even move or show astricks(***) like windows does.

just type the login name, then the pass and press enter.

once u've successfully logged in type the command
Code:
startx

not sure though, the linux experts here will be surely able to help u more.

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
Chester said:
the cursor won't even move or show astricks(***) like windows does.

just type the login name, then the pass and press enter.

once u've successfully logged in type the command
Code:
startx

not sure though, the linux experts here will be surely able to help u more.
Since my last post I reinstalled it this time I did not choose a log-in name or password when I installed the OS but now it is giving me a window with Login localhost: login-in name & password when I try press enter in both the fields (bcoz I never chose a login name or password) it says "incorrect log-in"...I also tried what you told me but it did not work...everyone on this forum says that Linux is simple but I find it to be a very difficult OS to install for a novice.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Please wait for t_y_f. He's on Mandriva right now, he'l help you out. I've never tried Mandriva so cant help you out!

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
kalpik said:
Please wait for t_y_f. He's on Mandriva right now, he'l help you out. I've never tried Mandriva so cant help you out!
will do

I ONCE AGIN (for the 4th time) uninstalled & installed this OS. But this last time I chose a log-in name & password (which I had not in all the earlier occassions).

Looks like (now this is my, i.e. a novice , experiance) Mandriva Linux 2007 does NOT allow you to get into the OS (After installation) unless you choose a login name & password.

I've also set up my broadband connection...this post typed using my new Linuc OS.

This is a new world to me...so considering the pain (if I may call it without offending the Linux fans) from a novice' point of view I give the ease of installation 5 out of 10 (te being the best & 1 being poor).

I think I'll have millions of questions on this OS...so I'll probably start a new thread to ask you Linux experts a million questions.

Last edited:

Manshahia

Resident Fanatic
i m also unable to install mandriva 7.0
itgives error that unable to install this packeage .
do u want to continue or cancel.
What is the problem?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
What happened to you isn't the fault of linux it's your fault. Sorry, if I sound like I am blaming you, I don't intend to do so.
Firstly, logging in as root is considered as a bad practise and specially so in the *nix world. So, I guess Mandriva didn't start X server(GUI).
There was a main user root, but you didn't know about it and just did the reinstall again and again without actually adding a non-root user. So, you faced the difficulty. But, this time you did add one and you had no real problems.
Just continue with further problems here than start too many threads. And also have a look at Mandriva section in the sticky thread I have made for many useful links.
do u want to continue or cancel.
What is the problem?
Seems like the Media is corrupted.

Last edited:

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You have to create atleast 2 or 3 normal user accounts besides the root user.
Don't login as root, That's a very bad practise!!

If you want perform some action as root user, open the Terminal Window & type:

$ su -
(Enter root password)

Now you are logged in as root.
# <command>

For eg.,

# ./install.sh

After your job is done, logout as root.

# exit

OP
caleb

caleb

Ambassador of Buzz
tech_your_future said:
What happened to you isn't the fault of linux it's your fault. Sorry, if I sound like I am blaming you, I don't intend to do so.
?Firstly, logging in as root is considered as a bad practise and specially so in the *nix world. So, I guess Mandriva didn't start X server(GUI).
?There was a main user root, but you didn't know about it and just did the reinstall again and again without actually adding a non-root user. So, you faced the difficulty. But, this time you did add one and you had no real problems.
?Just continue with further problems here than start too many threads. And also have a look at Mandriva section in the sticky thread I have made for many useful links.
Will do thanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom