Mac or Windows notebook?

Zaiest

AWOL
I have a budget of 1200 dollars and I am going to buy the laptop through a person who will come to India from the US. I am confused between the Macbook Pro 13 inch, HP Envy 14 and the Dell XPS 15z. My primary use is to access the internet, play music and watch movies, work on Office documents and play the occasional game. Stability and durability is another requirement for me. The notebook should last me for about 4 years. I don't know which OS is better for me. I am also open to advice suggesting other laptop models.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Macbook 13
Pros :
1. OS is great and resistant to virus attacks etc
2. Great battery life
3. Sleek looking with great features like thunderbolt
Cons :
1. Macbooks not very popular in India, are overpriced
2. No dedicated graphics - Don,t expect to play games
3. 13 inch is smallish display if you consider watching movies

HP Envy 14
The Envy available in India is beats Audio branded. Awesome for Music and Movies. But you'll get even better sound quality and better graphics in XPS

Dell XPS 15z
One of my favorite. Has built in JBL speakers- the best in any notebook so far. Nvidia GeForce GT 540M will cater your gaming needs decently. Great built quality. You wont regret buying one

My laptop HP Pavilion dv6 6017tx
I was going for a XPS 15 earlier but this machine offered a better graphics card so I opted for it.... and I am loving it. Nice battery backup, great screen. Speakers are not as good as XPS but are loud and great (same speakers as in Envy 14).
If you are buying in the US you'll get a free upgrade to 750GB HDD, 6GB RAM and a BluRay drive. Cost will be around ~ $1100 but there is 25% discount coupon also available

If you don,t have any specific need/love with Apple products I would recommend you a XPS 15z or HP dv6. Both are great. You'll love any of them

nisargshah95

Your Ad here
If you are not too much of a geek and are not used to finding solutions to your Windows laptop that got infected, buy Mac.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Let not make this another Mac VS Windows debate, without which i am sure we can do without
Have been a mac user since years and i still cannot do without windows and have been a windows user in office and still cannot do without Mac.

So each to his own...Post by marvelousprashant is really recommended.

Go as per your choice and needs.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I have a budget of 1200 dollars and I am going to buy the laptop through a person who will come to India from the US. I am confused between the Macbook Pro 13 inch, HP Envy 14 and the Dell XPS 15z. My primary use is to access the internet, play music and watch movies, work on Office documents and play the occasional game. Stability and durability is another requirement for me. The notebook should last me for about 4 years. I don't know which OS is better for me. I am also open to advice suggesting other laptop models.

Given your requirement, I would say "close your eyes and go for a macbook pro". No need to look further. Do make sure that you are getting the one with newer core ix sandybridge based processor.

ankurgel

He loves himself.
As your prior need is Multimedia and surfing and not pro-gaming. Go for MBP. Build of MBPs are great and can endure your duration of 4 years. Get APP(AppleCare Protection Plan) though. And before going with this decision, make sure that you are comfortable with 1280*800 resolution of it.

OP
Z

Zaiest

AWOL
As your prior need is Multimedia and surfing and not pro-gaming. Go for MBP. Build of MBPs are great and can endure your duration of 4 years. Get APP(AppleCare Protection Plan) though. And before going with this decision, make sure that you are comfortable with 1280*800 resolution of it.

Does Apple provide the APP service in India?

Last edited:
Top Bottom