Mac 'Mini' , a Major threat to Linux ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

babumuchhala

In the zone
I dont think so

I really dont think so. Mac mini still turns out to be a costly affair as u got to the monitor and stuff.
On the other habd u could have a really DHASU PC with all softwares u want for the same cost.
Linux will keep eroding the windows for people who want an operating sysytem thats legal as well as free.

And we all know Windows can pack ur sysytem anytime

OP
K

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
only prob i've seen so far with linux is no proper drivers for most hardware . atleast its not readily available and needs a bit of tinkering b4 getting it to work . that too not to full potential .

Mac Mini doesnt seem to have the hassles like , having to change processors , upgrade graphics cards , worry abt heat sinks and extra cabinet fans and voltage fluctuations and proper smps .

i think it can be connected to a tv so no probs with getting a seperate monitor . not sure abt this though . Mac Mini is in the right direction to compete with PC's and Linux .

Read somewhere you can install linux on Mac Mini . is this true ??????

BONZI

Journeyman
Everything will go fine with mac until you have some hardware failure. I think support for mac in india is extremely poor. About hardware you have to be satisfied with whatever that came with the mac. You dont need to change the hardware because you are left with not much options. Then comes Linux we all know most of the driver source is closed. Therefore not much the community can do but things could change in the coming years if more and more ppl start using linux.

G

gxsaurav

Although I don't come to this section much often

Mac mini will not affect PC sales in India, as much I think, cos we have a plethora of Pirated PC softwares, & also Linux awareness is growing too, like a new thing or new toy, besides, we don't get Mac softwares in the market, their support in India is nil, also hardly any PC Magzine gives softwares for Mac

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
i'd say mac mini is a major threat.. but only for windWOES

i mean $500 that turns out to be around 22-23k... i mean thats quite cheap... even if u want a 17" monitor.. the cost wont go above 30k.... all in all... i think i'll consider it when it launches in india :p

add to it the portability of the mac mini

i think we can install linux on a mac as its unix-based.. read it somewhere on lycoris.org

so i dont think its a threat for linux... defnately one for the big a$$ bill gates.... and his crappy WInDWOES.....

G

gxsaurav

& what about softwares andy, without software support any OS is bad in the market, considiring that Mac is not good for indian market

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
i m not a software freak.... just an office application suite, a web browser, an ftp client and a media player are nuff for me and most ppl

though gamers may face a prob... but i dont play games :p

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
mail2and said:
i think we can install linux on a mac as its unix-based.. read it somewhere on lycoris.org
The Linux kernel was ported to the PowerPC architecture back in 1997 itself under the PenguinPPC Project < *penguinppc.org/ > ... I'm running its ppc port on one of our Mac G4 servers...

gxsaurav said:
we don't get Mac softwares in the market, their support in India is nil, also hardly any PC Magzine gives softwares for Mac
You should say we dont get Mac software in Indian Market. In west its quite common... Some 5 Years back a magazine was launched in India called .net ( in collaboration with .Net mag UK ) ... they used to provide a half CD full of Macintosh Software, but we didn't have Mac at that time :-( ... I think that mag closed its shop after a year...

BONZI said:
I think support for mac in india is extremely poor. About hardware you have to be satisfied with whatever that came with the mac. You dont need to change the hardware because you are left with not much options
Apple has a big showroom in Bandra, Mumbai... their service is just fantastic... If your hardware is within warranty, then just carry in your hardware and walk away with new one... No questions asked... Otherwise you can also opt for upgrades, but that's limited to hard disk and RAM, ethernet/firewire ports only.

gxsaurav said:
yo, whats that, I forgot to sign up & I got showed up as Guest, GNURag, is there any way to change, check\ the IP of both address for proof
Done.

OP
K

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
oops , i meant can linux be run on Mini Mac . heard it is diff from Mac Gs .

was a report today that 80-90% of indians dont have pc's . Thats a huge untapped market .

Windows people dont have to trade in their keyboards/monitors/mouse etc . just use the same stuff they had and plug the new system box . maybe sell the old one .

Plus with MS going all out on Win X users in some countries , against piracy , think people will look for a switch . Now they got 2 options . Mac and Lin . will be interesting to see who gets the upper hand from MS .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom