Looking to buy virtualization PC for friend

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Hey guys,

Need some suggestions here.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans: No gaming. Pure virtualization. Would be running lots of VMs simultaneously.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 65k

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans: Windows 8.1, will update to Windows 10

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans: WD 1TB. SSD 250GB is required.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans: No. Already have it.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans: Mouse Keyboard and Speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans: Within 2 weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans: Assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans: New Delhi.. Buying locally.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Ans: Should be future proof for virualization for atleast 5 years. > 32GB would be preferred. 64GB would be perfect if it fits i budget. So if you can suggest a mother and CPU combo supporting 64GB RAM that would be great. Can purchase 32GB RAM right now and can add 32GB later.

Have decided this configuration for now. Inputs would be appreciated:

Component
ModelPrice
CPUi5-4690K19,599.00
RAMCorsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory17,560.00
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H9,695.00
Hard DiskWD Caviar Green 1 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive
SSDSamsung 850 EVO 250GB 8,499.00
Power SupplyCorsair CX500-80 Plus Power Supply 4500
CabinetCM

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=48534]Night-Rider[/MENTION],

I'd like to add word in your future proofing rig question. In my opinion, the future proof rig has the latest CPU and the new MOBO with the latest technology. For most future proofing rig use the overclocking CPU to increase the maximum speed as per game or application requirements.

In short, for future proofing, your main focus on the CPU and MOBO. With that in future, you can upgrade the other components like RAM and GPU.

For storage part, 250GB SSD drive is enough. The SSD mostly used as the OS/boot drive or storage drive. It all depends on your budget. SSD is expensive, however, they are worth every penny. For HDD part, I would advise you go with the WD Blue or WD Black for high performance, that is if you don't have the budget problem.

Good luck.

OP
Night-Rider

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Hi @Night-Rider ,

I'd like to add word in your future proofing rig question. In my opinion, the future proof rig has the latest CPU and the new MOBO with the latest technology. For most future proofing rig use the overclocking CPU to increase the maximum speed as per game or application requirements.

In short, for future proofing, your main focus on the CPU and MOBO. With that in future, you can upgrade the other components like RAM and GPU.

For storage part, 250GB SSD drive is enough. The SSD mostly used as the OS/boot drive or storage drive. It all depends on your budget. SSD is expensive, however, they are worth every penny. For HDD part, I would advise you go with the WD Blue or WD Black for high performance, that is if you don't have the budget problem.

Good luck.

Based on your suggestion I have made a small change and I believe it would be a wise one as virtualizaiton would require lots of read/write and hence the speed should be better.

ComponentModelPrice
CPUi5-4690K19,599.00
RAMCorsair Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory17,560.00
MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z97M-D3H9,695.00
Hard DiskWD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64 MB Cache - WD10EZEX4,488.00
SSDSamsung 850 EVO 250GB 8,499.00
Power SupplyCorsair CX500-80 Plus Power Supply 4500.00
CabinetCM3,000.00
Total= 67,341.00

I cannot upgrade my CPU or motherboard as it would shoot up my budget. However, would the CPU be sufficient for virtualization purpose for next 5 years or so?

DK_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=48534]Night-Rider[/MENTION],

Overall, I like your new selection for PC build. For future proofing, after you add the new component in the system then you really need a higher wattage PSU. The minimum requirement for Future proof rig PSU is 600 or 650W.

Just a suggestion, maybe you could add 2 sticks of 16Gb RAM. if you run 2 RAM sticks, you will be running memory in dual channel which will be a greater increase in performance than running a single stick in single channel.

Good luck.

OP
Night-Rider

Night-Rider

Journeyman
Hi @Night-Rider ,

Overall, I like your new selection for PC build. For future proofing, after you add the new component in the system then you really need a higher wattage PSU. The minimum requirement for Future proof rig PSU is 600 or 650W.

Just a suggestion, maybe you could add 2 sticks of 16Gb RAM. if you run 2 RAM sticks, you will be running memory in dual channel which will be a greater increase in performance than running a single stick in single channel.

Good luck.

Could you please link me to a suitable Power Supply and RAM kit? I couldn't really find a 16GB stick link that i compatible with my system.

Edit: But I believe 4x8GB kit would be better as it can run Quad-channel and it can use up all 4 slots. The motherboard supports 32GB RAM anyways.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
@op, you told that you dont want to overclock(question no:3)? then why opt for an i5 4690k? this 'k' indicates it is an overclockable cpu(with suitable mobo).if you dont want to overclock at all, then you are wasting your money. get a xeon 1245v3/1246v3. both offers hyperthreading support and will be a huge advantage for a user like you
i would suggest to go with,
intel xeon e3 1245v3 - 19.5k
asus h97 pro-8.8k
cooler master hyper tx3 evo /antec a40 - 1.5k
Kingston 8gb Hyperx Fury 1866mhz Desktop Ram 4 x 8gb - 14.6k(rs 3658 per stick on snapdeal)
WD blue 1tb - 4k or black -5.5k
samsung 850 evo 250gb - 8.3k
seasonic s12ii 430 - 4k
deepcool tesseract - 3k

- - - Updated - - -

Edit: But I believe 4x8GB kit would be better as it can run Quad-channel and it can use up all 4 slots. The motherboard supports 32GB RAM anyways.

having 4 ram slots and filling all the slots with it does not make it quad channel. your mobo and cpu supports only dual channel no matter whether you install 2 memory stick or 4. only intel extreme series supports quad channel,.
please read this.
*www.hardwaresecrets.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-dual-triple-and-quad-channel-memory-architectures/
very useful info over there.

OP
Night-Rider

Night-Rider

Journeyman
@op, you told that you dont want to overclock(question no:3)? then why opt for an i5 4690k? this 'k' indicates it is an overclockable cpu(with suitable mobo).if you dont want to overclock at all, then you are wasting your money. get a xeon 1245v3/1246v3. both offers hyperthreading support and will be a huge advantage for a user like you
i would suggest to go with,
asus h97 pro-8.8k
Kingston 8gb Hyperx Fury 1866mhz Desktop Ram 4 x 8gb - 14.6k(rs 3658 per stick on snapdeal)
seasonic s12ii 430 - 4k
deepcool tesseract - 3k

- - - Updated - - -

having 4 ram slots and filling all the slots with it does not make it quad channel. your mobo and cpu supports only dual channel no matter whether you install 2 memory stick or 4. only intel extreme series supports quad channel,.
please read this.
Everything You Need to Know About the Dual-, Triple-, and Quad-Channel Memory Architectures | Hardware Secrets
very useful info over there.

Thanks for pointing that out.

So final would be

asus h97 pro-8.8k
seasonic s12ii 430 - 4k
deepcool tesseract - 3k

65.2K in total. But I am skeptical about the Intel Xeon processor. It shows out of stock everywhere I saw.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
it is a fine config. just enquire in local shops about that xeon. if not available locally, drop a mail to either primeabgb or theitdepot. contact email can be obtained from their respective websites.

Top Bottom