Looking for responsive and reliable phone for 20k + 10k leeway.

Chetan1991

Youngling
Requirements:
  • Responsive; no lagging. Skype shouldn't go to sleep and camera app shouldn't take seconds to open.
  • Reliable; should last at least 3 years.
  • Wireless or at least fast charging.
  • Battery should last more than a day with 1 or 2 hours of intensive use.
  • At least a bit of waterproofing would be nice

1. Budget?
~ Rs 20k but I can go higher up to 30k or so, only if it's really worth it.
2. Display type and size?
5.5 in. +
3. Dual sim?
Preferred
4. Preferred choice of brand?
Prefer brands with good QA. * I've been burned by Chinese brands (Lenovo and Coolpad), whose phones died within a year or two, while my 10+ year old LG and Sony phones still work, so suggest Chinese brands only if they are known for QC.
5. What camera option you want (flash, front facing camera)?
Good camera with stabilization; if software can match OIS that's fine too.
6. Preferred operating system? (Android, iOS, Stock Android etc).
Stock Android, One UI or something similarly non obtrusive
7. Preferred connectivity options (Dual 4G,802.11AC/5Ghz(not 5g mobile network) wifi).
Standard features; 5G etc.
8. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, internet, gaming etc)?
Calls, camera, YouTube and multitasking(Skype, Teams etc.).
9. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
A53? Nothing Phone?
10. Any other info that you want to share
- My current phone's working, so I'm willing to wait for new models or upcoming sale
- Someone said some phones can be good if you can remove the bloat. Willing to consider those as well.

Paging
@omega44-xt
@Nerevarine
@TheSloth
@SaiyanGoku
@whitestar_999
@Zangetsu

Last edited:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Hi! If the budget is 30k then have you considered Pixel 6a?
I have Moto G71 and it's multitasking isn't that impressive, the apps reload afresh if they are in background for longer time(few mins). My guess would be G82 is same. I also have access to S20FE, and it is definitely better in this dept.
I don't have the knowledge on new phones so let's wait for other's suggestions.

Pixel 6a is a good choice, best camera under 50k (S22, Pixel 7 might outperform it slightly).

Apparently Nothing has solved a lot of its software issues, so its Phone 1 can be considered as well. It is still waiting for final android 13 release though, but latest beta seems very stable.

A53 is a easy no because of Exynos SoC. Dimensity 900 on it instead would have made me recommend it, even though it is overpriced. Need bloat removal & revoking permission of apps in Samsung phones as well for a cleaner experience.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Get the Pixel 6a without a doubt. I have 6a, Moto G82 and Poco X3 Pro. 6a feels just better, except for the lack of 3.5 mm jack and smaller battery. Would post my review later as I haven't even started to use it with my sim (waiting for spigen case to be delivered).

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
Would post my review later
Please post link here as well.

Also is 6GB RAM enough? My current phone has 4GB and it used to be fairly responsive, but now lags.

I'm a bit reluctant to go for 6a because of lack of wireless or fast charging. If a better phone (7a?) in the price range is going to be released within 3-4 months, I can wait.

Last edited:
Please post link here as well.

Also is 6GB RAM enough? My current phone has 4GB and it used to be fairly responsive, but now lags.

I'm a bit reluctant to go for 6a because of lack of wireless or fast charging. If a better phone (7a?) in the price range is going to be released within 3-4 months, I can wait.
7a might be coming soon, likely April or May unveiling, so another 6 months away from it being available to be purchased here.

IMO 6GB will suffice on stock android. I have used a phone with wireless charging since 2017 & yet to use it in my daily life.

Slow charging speed is a bummer for sure, moving from 15W charging to 25W charging on my S20FE was a noticeable leap (20-100% in easily under 1hr now, much faster to just 80%).

Realme 9 pro+ was a decent choice last year, sadly its successor downgraded the camera. Chinese & Koreans didn't get the memo on making successors better than their predecessors.

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
Sale season here! Which phones are a great buy at <30K ?

I should've mentioned that responsiveness, reliability and wireless/fast charging are deal breakers for me; rest I can compromise on.
Based on reviews I'm leaning towards Nothing Phone 1. The failure point in Chinese phones is usually the USB port, which thanks to wireless charging won't be seeing much use in NP1. It's a shame 6a doesn't has it or it would've been my choice.

How's the 6a been @SaiyanGoku ?

Last edited:

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
  • Responsive; no lagging. Skype shouldn't go to sleep and the camera app shouldn't take seconds to open.
  • Reliable; should last at least 3 years.

Goto respective app's settings.
Depends on software optimisation and hardware performance. (If you are getting the best performance on existing software updates, then don't update.
Update only when you find something wrong with device software)
depends on how well you keep your device organised and healthy.

Completely depends on your usage.
Earlier 3-4 years back we were getting good hardware which has good components and chips used in it.
Nowadays the display goes off, the battery does not last that long. Also the battery gets damaged early compared to early batteries which performed better at any condition

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Sale season here! Which phones are a great buy at
I should've mentioned that responsiveness, reliability and wireless/fast charging are deal breakers for me; rest I can compromise on.
Based on reviews I'm leaning towards Nothing Phone 1. The failure point in Chinese phones is usually the USB port, which thanks to wireless charging won't be seeing much use in NP1. It's a shame 6a doesn't has it or it would've been my choice.

The phone has barely been through 2 charge cycles and didn't have my sim in it. So, I won't be able to comment on the battery life just yet. But as far as everything else goes, it's just damn good. I wish Google kept the 3.5 mm jack on it though.

Don't waste money on NP1. They had the chance to make something good but ended up putting useless LEDs on the back.

Edit: battery stats is broken for now. Would test more and post after it is fixed.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Sale season here! Which phones are a great buy at <30K ?

Nothing Phone 1 seems decent now after they fixed their software issues.

But Pixel 6a would be my recommendation if you have not used a high refresh rate screen yet - much better camera for sure. NP1 can be considered if you want more storage - 256GB.

To save money - Moto Edge 30 looks good.

Prajyot

Journeyman
Hi! If the budget is 30k then have you considered Pixel 6a?
I have Moto G71 and it's multitasking isn't that impressive, the apps reload afresh if they are in background for longer time(few mins). My guess would be G82 is same. I also have access to S20FE, and it is definitely better in this dept.
I don't have the knowledge on new phones so let's wait for other's suggestions.

S20FE will be good choice in 2023? Hardware wise? I know It's limited to Android 13, you won't get update but this is no issue at all. I am still using Android 7 no issue with any app till now but from past 8 days few app showing notification that they are removing support for Android 7.

S21FE is also good but indian version comes with Exynos, same as S20FE (samsund india site)...?

Last edited:
S20FE will be good choice in 2023? Hardware wise? I know It's limited to Android 13, you won't get update but this is no issue at all. I am still using Android 7 no issue with any app till now but from past 8 days few app showing notification that they are removing support for Android 7.

S21FE is also good but indian version comes with Exynos, same as S20FE (samsund india site)...?
S20FE 5G has S865, which IMO makes its superior to S21FE because of exynos. IMO its still good hardware wise, but Pixel 6a or Nothing Phone 1 would be a better choice overall considering OS updates.

If call recording is important for you, Samsung is the only option.

Prajyot

Journeyman
S20FE 5G has S865, which IMO makes its superior to S21FE because of exynos. IMO its still good hardware wise, but Pixel 6a or Nothing Phone 1 would be a better choice overall considering OS updates.

If call recording is important for you, Samsung is the only option.
Look like samsung india selling S20FE 5G with exynos..? SM-G781BZBG / SM-G781BZGG

OP
Chetan1991

Chetan1991

Youngling
Bought Nothing Phone 1 8GB 256GB version for 25k.
Most of the complaints regarding it seem to revolve around software, some of which have already been addressed in the new Android 13 update, and more will be fixed as the founder said they're going to focus on refining it before releasing a successor.

I'm taking a risk when it comes to reliability, but a phone without fast charging wasn't an option.

Last edited:

Prajyot

Journeyman
Wait, when did that happen? Amazon listing still says S865 SoC. Exynos S20FE 5G is an easy no. I will rather live with stock android & 60Hz of Pixel 6a.

I am monitoring Samsung site from last 1 months for offers, currently they have offer but at checkout page model showing as SM-G781BZBG / SM-G781BZGG which i believe its Exynos. Please correct me if i wrong

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I am monitoring Samsung site from last 1 months for offers, currently they have offer but at checkout page model showing as SM-G781BZBG / SM-G781BZGG which i believe its Exynos. Please correct me if i wrong
I don't know where you're seeing Exynos. It says SD865 here samsung.com/in/business/smartphones/galaxy-s/galaxy-s20-fe-g781-5g-sm-g781bzggins/

s.png

Top Bottom