Looking for career advice

MidLifer

Right off the assembly line
I'm hoping some people here might be able to give me some advice on computer careers. I'm in my late 30's (in the USA) and considering a career change from architecture into IT. I honestly don't know a lot about the IT world, but from the research I've done I feel that possible avenues of interest for me might be DIS, systems analyst, infosec, health informatics or webmaster. My main reason for switching careers is that I'm looking for a profession that has high stability and job opportunities.

Here are my questions:

1) Are there certain areas of IT that are more stable than others? And is programming the only area facing a significant threat to overseas outsourcing?

2) Would entering the field in my early 40's be a major disadvantage? Is age discrimination a problem in IT?

3) What is the best route for education and training? I'm assuming I would need a bachelor's or masters, but is there a faster route that is still respected by employers, yet still pays very well?

4) What are the pro's and con's of IT careers?

Thanks in advance to those willing to take a few minutes and offer their advice.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
IMO, shorted and stable route (without fear of outsourcing) for now is to go into networking (infrastructure management).
You can get certified in less than a year or two and start working as contractor / consultant or employee.

Anand_Tux

Journeyman
IMO, shorted and stable route (without fear of outsourcing) for now is to go into networking (infrastructure management).
You can get certified in less than a year or two and start working as contractor / consultant or employee.

+1
You can do CCNA, CCNP or CCIE & also MCSE. These certification will surely help you.

Top Bottom