Looking for best PSU for my Core i5 4570 and RX 480 PC

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So I have had the misfortune of watching my PC rebooting, whenever I attempted to play a game since 2 weeks. I created this thread to help me troubleshoot and I have found that it's the PSU which was the culprit.

The CX430 v2 PSU served me more than 5 years. But I think the decreasing efficiency is no longer sufficient for my mildly-beasty PC.

So I need to find the best PSU for my following rig, and maybe a futureproof one at that. Specs of my beast is following:

Code:
HP Pavillion 22XW Monitor (1080p)
Cooler Master E350N
WD 1 TB WD Blue
Corsair CMPSU-430CXV2UK 430 Watts
Intel 3.2 GHz 4570 i5 (LGA 1150)
G.Skill DDR3 12 GB RAM
MSI H87M-G43 Mobo
MSI RX 480 4 GB GPU
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

Research:

I used two online power calculators. Result are in following images:

*i.imgur.com/a6CBNkD.jpg

*i.imgur.com/xJSRdEz.png

As per both the calculators I would need atleast 510 watt PSU. But if I want to upgrade to a new graphic card in crossfire or a new single powerful single GPU, I would need around a 750 watt PSU.

Taking help from the latest posts on this thead Power Supply Suggestion Thread 2017 Q1 I think Corsair is the only way to go.

So I have shortlisted following PSUs:
*i.imgur.com/P6w5uyc.jpg

Google spreadsheet link: Vyom's New PSU (Jun 2018)

Calling all PSU pros for help! It's urgent. Crew 2 Open Beta is on the horizon and I can't game! :'(

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Depends on budget & I don't think you would ever need a psu above 650W considering gfx card prices & upcoming models from nvidia.If you have the budget then RMx series is best followed by newer CX series but if you are spending above 5k then go for RMx series only(RM650x seems the best option).

P.S. why are you putting led monitor in psu calculator?you are not connecting it to psu(not that it is possible too).

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
SLI/Crossfire is pointless in this day and age. Very few games support it. And Next gen cards would consume less power for the same performance. 550W should be sufficient.

CORSAIR SMPS RM550X - 550 WATT 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFICATION FULLY MODULAR PSU

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Depends on budget & I don't think you would ever need a psu above 650W considering gfx card prices & upcoming models from nvidia.If you have the budget then RMx series is best followed by newer CX series but if you are spending above 5k then go for RMx series only(RM650x seems the best option).

P.S. why are you putting led monitor in psu calculator?you are not connecting it to psu(not that it is possible too).
Thanks for the suggestions. I will make the shortlist more short now.

The calculator asked me to choose the monitor. So I did. I was wondering that too.

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
SLI/Crossfire is pointless in this day and age. Very few games support it. And Next gen cards would consume less power for the same performance. 550W should be sufficient.

CORSAIR SMPS RM550X - 550 WATT 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFICATION FULLY MODULAR PSU
If not crossfire, so you telling my RX 480 would be of no use? :|

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
The difference between CX and RMx series is as I am finding out, that CX is Bronze and RMx is Gold. Well, I am gravitating towards CX as the price difference is also huge. And I don't really need a fully modular PSU for the current build.

Does the Bronze and Gold have "too much" difference in terms of quality? I just want to run my "simple" RX 480 PC and not planning to overclock or something.

So will CX series would do? CX650? It's priced at Rs 6377 on Amazon.in while out of stock on MDcomputers.in. And I can get it in 2 days.
Compared to that the RM550X is Rs 7900 on mdcomputers.in but shipping will cost Rs 465 and I would receive it in 4 days. Price for RM550X is Rs 9449 on Amazon.in which is highly insane!

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
Atleast Try to get Corsair TX 550m - 5.5k
Or TX 650m for 6 k
Depending upon availability

The price difference is mostly for better internal components , thus longer life which is why you get much longer warranty

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Wow! The warranty for TX series is 7 years! :shock:

Corsair TX650 is avilable on mdcomputers.in for Rs 6,513 (after delivery charge of Rs 310 and payment gateway charge of Rs 128).
The same model is available in CostToCost (at Nehru Place) for Rs 7068.20.

I am gravitating towards Corsair TX650M now from mdcomputers.in. Just need to ask if they can really deliver in max 4 days!

Why and how is RMx series better than TX? They both are gold!

Update: Called mdcomputers.in They said they can really deliver in 3 days to Delhi. Even if it comes in 4 days, I am ok to buy from them.

Waiting also for @whitestar_999 inputs.

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Corsair TX series is discontinued AFAIR. It was succeeded by the RM series. I think the TX series currently on online retailers are probably old stock. Don't know about warranty of these tho.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Corsair TX series is discontinued AFAIR. It was succeeded by the RM series. I think the TX series currently on online retailers are probably old stock. Don't know about warranty of these tho.
Can you check if this is old stock?
CORSAIR SMPS TX650M - 650 WATT 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFICATION SEMI MODULAR PSU WITH ACTIVE PFC

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
From what I can see on the web, Corsair decided to bring back the TX series last year. I am sure I read somewhere that it was discontinued before that. Therefore, the available TX series are probably new models.

But why not go for Seasonic? I find that this is much better than Corsair in terms of performance.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
But why not go for Seasonic? I find that this is much better than Corsair in terms of performance.
Because of this post: CORSAIR SMPS TX650M - 650 WATT 80 PLUS GOLD CERTIFICATION SEMI MODULAR PSU WITH ACTIVE PFC
Here the poster concluded that Corsair pretty much have monopoly in the market. I don't want to take any "chance". If Corsair has good models, and if it provides 7 years (!) then there's no reason not to buy it.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Seasonic latest models are not available in India,only old discontinued/soon to be discontinued models are available so no point spending money on them. Also not sure but I think old corsair TX series was Bronze certified but the new TXm series is Gold certified.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Seasonic latest models are not available in India,only old discontinued/soon to be discontinued models are available so no point spending money on them. Also not sure but I think old corsair TX series was Bronze certified but the new TXm series is Gold certified.
Yes, my old TX650M was 80+ Bronze before it went defunct. I bought Seasonic 80+ Gold after that though.

Top Bottom