Looking for a 4TB External Drive

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
As WD is my preferred brand when it comes to HDD I have shortlisted these drives

1. WD My Passport Portable External HDD 4TB/5TB (₹7899 at amazon)
2. WD My Book 4TB External HDD (₹6999 at amazon)

I prefer reliability over minor read/write speed advantage. My main usage will be to take backup of my entire photos & videos library which is about 1.5TB as of now and will be adding/updating it from time to time. My current setup includes 1 SATA SSD Boot Drive, 2x 1TB WD Blue & 2TB WD Purple.

I'll place the order as soon as I zero down on one. Kindly help me select one from above or any other model from similar price range.
Thanks.

OP
ofabhishek

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║

Attachments

• Image_2020110513424.jpeg
    Image_2020110513424.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Received my WD 4TB drive.
It came with exFAT file system. Should I leave it at that or format again with NTFS ?

@topgear @omega44-xt
@whitestar_999

Thanks.
Do a test run by copy pasting ~100GB of data(preferably large files like videos) after formatting to ntfs & keep crystaldiskinfo software open in background to check for temperature. I just experienced very pathetic after sales support by WD & will be creating a thread highlighting it once I hopefully manage to get my refund from the online retailer I bought it from(no thanks to WD btw if it happens).

OP
ofabhishek

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
Do a test run by copy pasting ~100GB of data(preferably large files like videos) after formatting to ntfs & keep crystaldiskinfo software open in background to check for temperature. I just experienced very pathetic after sales support by WD & will be creating a thread highlighting it once I hopefully manage to get my refund from the online retailer I bought it from(no thanks to WD btw if it happens).
Thanks for replying.
Though I'm using multiple WD drives since about 10yrs I'm yet to face any single issue. Heard mostly good words about their after sale support that's why I chose them again but still will be curious to know about the issue you faced with them.

-------

I have pasted around 400GB data as of now from my desktop's internal drive. Temperature varies between 25-35 degree.
Before that I've done a full error-scan for the entire drive using HDTune and there wasn't any red blocks which indicates I've received an undamaged drive, hopefully.

OP
ofabhishek

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
I've pasted another 100GB data from my Laptop but when I connected it again to the desktop those 100GB data folder is not showing up. Though the used space of the drive indicates the presence of that 100GB data as well. What could be the issue ? Please help.
My laptop is also running Windows 10 & all the drive is NTFS only.

I've pasted another 100GB data from my Laptop but when I connected it again to the desktop those 100GB data folder is not showing up. Though the used space of the drive indicates the presence of that 100GB data as well. What could be the issue ? Please help.
My laptop is also running Windows 10 & all the drive is NTFS only.
Virus maybe? I have seen viruses which hides files/folder. Download trial of a good antivirus & scan it. Scan using Malwarebytes as well.

OP
ofabhishek

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
Virus maybe? I have seen viruses which hides files/folder. Download trial of a good antivirus & scan it. Scan using Malwarebytes as well.
Unlikely as I already have windows defender and I generally take good care of any such risk.

Top Bottom