Looking for 2 TB External Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Hi Friends,

I am looking for 2 TB External Hard Disk as the existing seagate desktop 2tb external is full. I have looked different options like wd / seagate etc. and got pretty confused as now there are new models from wd and ultra is usually not available offline, if available online it is too costly.

which is the best option friends? also, considering buying a HDD, is it ok to buy it online as offline My passport 2tb is available at 6000 and elements at 5600. seagate slim too is available offline at similar price.

Thanks.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
WD Ultra old models have been discontinued so no point buying them(& also the reason for their high prices online). WD has better after sales support while seagate is usually a bit faster as per reviews.Do not buy Seagate "ultra slim"(different from slim) hdd though.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
WD Ultra old models have been discontinued so no point buying them(& also the reason for their high prices online). WD has better after sales support while seagate is usually a bit faster as per reviews.Do not buy Seagate "ultra slim"(different from slim) hdd though.

thanks a lot for the info. so considering after sales support, best bet would be a 2 tb wd my passport as speed would be a bit slower and that would not be of much importance for me.
any more info you got about missing SMART attributes / hidden in WD firmware that you mentioned in the other thread?

Last edited:

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hi Friends,

I am looking for 2 TB External Hard Disk as the existing seagate desktop 2tb external is full. I have looked different options like wd / seagate etc. and got pretty confused as now there are new models from wd and ultra is usually not available offline, if available online it is too costly.

which is the best option friends? also, considering buying a HDD, is it ok to buy it online as offline My passport 2tb is available at 6000 and elements at 5600. seagate slim too is available offline at similar price.

Thanks.
Seagate 2 TB Wired External Hard Disk Drive - Seagate : Flipkart.com

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
thanks a lot for the info. so considering after sales support, best bet would be a 2 tb wd my passport as speed would be a bit slower and that would not be of much importance for me.
any more info you got about missing SMART attributes / hidden in WD firmware that you mentioned in the other thread?
I believe this is the case with WD latest 4TB models only,still it would be better if you could ask somebody who own latest WD my passport model(1tb or 2tb) to confirm.That missing/hidden in firmware attributes issue is the main reason I won't go for any WD Passport 4TB model as I believe this to be a fishy move on WD's part.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
I believe this is the case with WD latest 4TB models only,still it would be better if you could ask somebody who own latest WD my passport model(1tb or 2tb) to confirm.That missing/hidden in firmware attributes issue is the main reason I won't go for any WD Passport 4TB model as I believe this to be a fishy move on WD's part.

thanks for the info. unfortunately no one has these so i am unable to confirm.

some time back, there was a wd representative active here. hope there is someone from their team who can tell more.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I say take chance with WD,I think only 4TB has this issue because of their unusual design(aka more thickness compared to 1tb/2tb 2.5" drives) though Seagate has a 5TB portable usb drive which shows all SMART attributes as usual.

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
I say take chance with WD,I think only 4TB has this issue because of their unusual design(aka more thickness compared to 1tb/2tb 2.5" drives) though Seagate has a 5TB portable usb drive which shows all SMART attributes as usual.

thanks a lot dear for the help. I will check wd then though I like the color of seagate more compared to the new design of wd :D

OP
vidhubhushan

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
True. Also depends upon the relationship with the dealer or shopkeeper. I once got a replacement for a 500gb internal Seagate drive in an hour but now dealers recommend wd because of door step service

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
WD 4 TB was available at just Rs 4999 yesterday morning at Flipkart. I was lucky enough to grab one before the seller discontinued listing.
I don't know if I will get a good product at that price. So have that apprehension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom