Looking for 1tb internal HD

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Last questions..
Delicate handling needed for SSD? While buying offline?
It's said that they are robust to shakes and drops.

What Care needs to be taken for SSD overall after installing Windows or into system??

Afaik defragmentation of SSD will reduce life.
So what about automatic defragment option in windows.

Thank you again.

If you have any thorough article link about caring SSD and HDD both, will be helpful..

Also any best discounted site for crucial mx500 250GB?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
ssd are basically only chips in an enclosure so much more resistant to shocks/rough physical handling etc. Never do any manual defragmentation on ssd,just let windows take care of it. Just install crystaldisk info/ssd manufacturer utility & keep an eye on TB written to ssd.
upload_2019-9-29_20-15-45.png

Crystaldiskinfo screenshot of my ssd:
First highlighted one is life timer(I call it this but technically there is no name for it). Out of 100,86 remaining & 14 used means 14% of TBW is used(for crucial this parameter may be displayed differently). Next one is universal though,it is total host writes & its value is ~4TB till now & my ssd TBW limit is 30TBW so effectively I have used ~(4/30)=13% which is very close to life timer.

As for taking care of ssd,like I said earlier just leave ~10-15% of usable space empty & let windows take care of it automatically. For hdd,there is nothing much except for the usual defragmentation.Taking regular backup of anything important applies to both hdd & ssd as neither of them is 100% data loss proof. For ssd you can take note that it is not recommended to keep them turn off for more than 5-6 months continuously as it may result in some data corruption.

Top Bottom