Local ISP Internet Issue [Help]

D

Deleted member 345628

Hello ,

I have been experiencing frequent connection drops in between VoIP calls , Video Streaming and even while making a google search query. The local technician guy comes and does a speed test (gets 40Mbps) , says that my router is bad and needs to be upgraded . My router is in perfect health , I even tried conducting file sharing to check if its going berserk .Is there anyway to capture the diagnosis of my issue and let him know that there is a issue on the line side .

My Colony Neighbourhood members aren't regular internet users (they don't use VoIP calls like Zoom too) . This issue is faced by me and a guy across the other line .

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Hello ,

I have been experiencing frequent connection drops in between VoIP calls , Video Streaming and even while making a google search query. The local technician guy comes and does a speed test (gets 40Mbps) , says that my router is bad and needs to be upgraded . My router is in perfect health , I even tried conducting file sharing to check if its going berserk .Is there anyway to capture the diagnosis of my issue and let him know that there is a issue on the line side .

My Colony Neighbourhood members aren't regular internet users (they don't use VoIP calls like Zoom too) . This issue is faced by me and a guy across the other line .

Who provided the router ISP or your own?

If not yours, Does ISP provide router?

OP
D

Deleted member 345628

No no its my own router . ISP is local , they don't provide router .

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
No no its my own router . ISP is local , they don't provide router .

Perhaps threaten them to remove connection, just say them you changed router multiple times and issue is in there backend.

Give them three days, if it is not fixed, then just get your connection terminated.
Local isps are on another level stubborness, never ready accept their mistake. Better not to waste time and move one.

As far as tracking is concerned, try

*www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2021/monitor-your-internet-raspberry-pi

This will tell speed and everything else.

OP
D

Deleted member 345628

There is no competitor yet , thats the sad part. Its just this one ISP I have in this area . So I don't think they'll buy it xD .

Thanks @RumbaMon19

patkim

Cyborg Agent
What is the make/model of your router?
What type of connection, RJ45/FTTH Fiber/Coaxial, etc? If in your home, it terminates into RJ45 cable, then did you try directly connecting to your ISP using PC/Laptop by removing router temporarily from the equation if feasible? If a direct connection to ISP from your PC/laptop gives the same issues again, router was not a problem. Depending upon ISP settings, you might then need to register the MAC of your WAN device (PC/Laptop) with ISP to get Internet directly on your PC/Laptop.
You may also try the following settings in your router, if not already tried.
1. Reset your router and set it up again fresh, if it hasn’t been ever done in several months. Many issues simply get fixed by a router factory reset.
2. If a new firmware is available consider upgrading it. However, if there’s a power loss in the flashing operation and you have no UPS, it could brick the router. So, take your call on that.
3. Enable QoS if available
4. Toggle WMM & Short GI settings between On/Off if available and check again
5. VOIP calls or browsing drops on WiFi or Wired or both? Did you analyze?
6. Manually set Channel to either 1 6 or 11 if 2.4Ghz band and set 40Mhz width. If it’s a dual-band then try enabling only one of the bands at a time and recheck one by one, wherever possible.

My old Tenda router was indeed giving me issues with whatsapp & WiFi calling. Observed with 2 different ISPs, recently changed my router. No issues till now but maybe early to say so. I didn't face issue with video streaming or google search though in old router & was getting full speed in speed tests.

OP
D

Deleted member 345628

Was using ping with time interval of 3600 seconds . The technician noticed the request time outs and replaced some hardware part on the line box . No issues anymore , thank you guys!

Top Bottom