Live Boot Linux Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
i just stumbled across this site and saw a fairly good enough comparison of some live on cd linux distros. so if u wanna choose a good live boot linux read: *desktops.linux.com/desktops/04/02/09/1840218.shtml
they started off with 9 cds and and picked the best from the following three: Knoppix, MandrakeMove and Slax.
read to find out the winner.

comments are welcome if the comparison is wrong in anyone's opinion.

btw, in my personal opinion, Knoppix 3.6 wins hands down as it carries too many the applications that u will find in a full fledged linux distro. but from a newbie's point of view, Slax is very good with a minimum set of apps, gr8 hardware support and high stability and allows u to wet ur feet in a basic linux environment. i cant comment about mandrakemove coz i havent tried it yet.

:D

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hey Corny, there is another article you should read :
Linux live and kicking - Part 1
Linux live and kicking - Part 2

OP
sreevirus

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
hehehe...thanx for the links bat, but i had read both the pages one week ago...gr8 link and the info is good, but they have tested old versions of some distros: eg knoppix 3.3, gnoppix 0.6rc2.

nixcraft

Journeyman
The Best Free Desktop Linux . . . and how to make it better
Read it full story at *www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3135712364.html :D

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
But Gnoppix is based on the Debian 'Woody' release.... which is a stable release... and that makes it is very old release... its just the GNOME interface that makes it look so nice...

And Knoppix 3.6 is based on Debian 'Sarge' architecture... which is a bit later one... (Or is it Debian Sid ? in that case it will be more latest one!!!)

ujjwal

Padawan
How's slax? I need a live cd as I am experimenting with both windows and linux a bit and if both go kablam i'll need to access the net ...

I need a light one with browsers like lynx & opera and a WM like fluxbox.

After reading that article slax seems a good choice, lemme ask my local LUG if they have it.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
ujjwal said:
I need a light one with browsers like lynx & opera and a WM like fluxbox.
Did you try Damn Small Linux ? I downloaded it a week back and tested it... its just great.... it has a fluxbox based interface and is very functional.... download it from here :
*ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/damnsmall/current/dsl-0.8.4.iso
after reading your post, i think this is the one for you !!!

ujjwal said:
After reading that article slax seems a good choice, lemme ask my local LUG if they have it.
You seem to be regular on Delhi LUG mailing list... :) ... i read your recent posts on "Burst speeds while downloading files"

tuXian

In the zone
Heres a link for list of Live CD's

*www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

can we compare before trying other not so famous yet strong contenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom