linux...give suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR RANJAN

Broken In
I want to use linux. plz, suggest me some version of linux(easy install & use).I use dialup connection(airtel) for net.:p

abhishekkulkarni

Journeyman
Use Mepis 6 ..

*www.mepis.org

or Mandriva 2006 ..

*www.mandriva.com

Both of these are excellent OSes if you are a Linux first timer and want to experiment ..

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
DR RANJAN said:
does it support dialup connection
I feel UBNUTU(Easy to install and Use) is best and user friendly linux distro who wants to shift frm windows to LINUX.:pAnd it does support dialup and brdband..ONly thing is u shud chk if it supports ur modem;)..Just drop in the modem manufacturer's Name here and u might now if it supports

See here for the best linux distro:)

Third Eye

gooby pls
DR RANJAN said:
I want to use linux. plz, suggest me some version of linux(easy install & use).I use dialup connection(airtel) for net.:p

Freespire Linux,not sure internet works,but this linux is similar to windows.

drsethi

Journeyman
SUSE 10.1
(10.2 coming 7th December,Many bugs fixed)
Easy installation
Very large no. programs
It supports dialup
*www.reallylinux.com/docs/basicdialup.shtml
Microsoft has made tieup with Novell, so you may expect surprises in near future.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You can try using Mandriva 2007 or FreeSpire Linux. Both are very good for users new to Linux environment.

vinutux

Broken In
UBUNTU ................... it gives wat u want only for normal use ............

SLEEK ............ SEXY................ ADDICTIVE... desktop

use as live cd or install to HD..........

NO:1 distro in and linux camp

CHEK.........distrowatch.com NO:1 UBUNTU :D :D :D :D

S

sariq

jack// ani said:
will ubuntu 6.10 run fine on my old 2ghz, 256mb ram , 64mb on board grapihcs....

i have not used much of linux but i advice dont install ubuntu on system with 256MB RAM, it will run slow. instead try Xubuntu.

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
sariq said:
i have not used much of linux but i advice dont install ubuntu on system with 256MB RAM, it will run slow. instead try Xubuntu.
No it doesnt:eek:...See the links below

*www.ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-75868.html

*ftp.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/dists/warty/main/installer-i386/current/doc/manual/en/ch03s04.html

XUbuntu is A unbuntu distro with XFCE window manager which is the lightest and fastest window manager among the popular GNome and KDE and others..But i say ubuntu will dfntly work smoothly and fine at the requiremnts mentioned by u

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
if u want to connect gprs than forget ubuntu and go for any other distro.
i tried every thing all the setting but it dosen't allow me to connect gprs for more than 2 minute.
and ubuntu dosen't come with all the package eg: dev tool, server suite, audio/movie player etc. u need to download all such stuff from net. so it is not good for gprs or slow net user.

otherwise ubuntu is the best, very user friendly, run faster than other distro and very stable. i am now using xp for net and ubuntu for programming purpose.

Last edited:

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
Use Fedora Core 5.
Even I was a beginner in linux about one and a half months ago , i started with fedora core 5 and now I use fedora core 5 more than my XP SP2.

S

sariq

Desi-Tek.com said:
if u want to connect gprs than forget ubuntu and go for any other distro.
i tried every thing all the setting but it dosen't allow me to connect gprs for more than 2 minute.
and ubuntu dosen't come with all the package eg: dev tool, server suite, audio/movie player etc. u need to download all such stuff from net. so it is not good for gprs or slow net user.

it takes <5minutes to configure GPRS connection via bluetooth. i have used GPRS over bluetooth connection for continuos >12hours in ubuntu without any problems.

and regarding package downloads you have to download onetime only - approx size 5-10MB for movie/mp3 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom