Linux for SATA drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

godblessedson

Broken In
Dear Friends

Which flavor of Linux (preferably 64 bit) is available with kernel compiled for Silicon Image SIL-3114 SATA IDE driver (RS 480 M2-IL board). Or else whats the simple prcedure to get SATA drive recognised by linux installation.

GODBLESSEDSON

I've tried Mepis and Ubuntu (64Bit). Both had no probs autodetecting and working with SATA. Even without installation (LiveCD) i.e.

-Keith

OP
G

godblessedson

Broken In
have u installed on hard drive

Well with Live CD there should never be a problem becuase they are not installed on the system and they will work even if there is no hard disk (either SATA or PATA) but when it comes to installing on hard disk there is detection problem of SATA. I have tried with Knoppix/Mepis (32 bit)LIVS Cds and they should and they work fine. But when I tried installing Mepis on hard disk, it did not detect SATA. I also tried with Suse 9.1 personnel (32 bit) edition, same problem again.

I dont know how to install SATA IDE controller in Linux instalation.

Is there any 32 or 64 bit version of Linux which have inbuilt SATA IDE controller in Linux kernel (atleast for MY Sata controller Silicon Image SIL-3114). Else how SATA drive can be made recognised for any Linux installation.

Godblessedson

Re: have u installed on hard drive

godblessedson said:
Well with Live CD there should never be a problem becuase they are not installed on the system and they will work even if there is no hard disk (either SATA or PATA) but when it comes to installing on hard disk there is detection problem of SATA.

Actually, I installed on my PATA drive. The SATA has Micro$haft Windoze on it. So, yeah, you may be right. Someone else who has installed on SATA may be able to help you better. Try the open source forum.

PS: I was able to detect SATA both off LiveCD and after HD installation. Mepis auto mounted the NTFS drives from SATA and I remember playing Mp3's from these drives. No write access though.

-Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom