Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I think simple games can still run. Perhaps Google is planning on integrating Steam library in Stadia.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Thinking of shifting to elementary from Manjaro. The next version of elementary will feature full Flatpak integration, that is most of the available apps in their app center will be flatpak packages.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
I like Elementary. Installed it few months back. But I am not able to login to its account even with correct password.
Perhaps, I will have to reinstall/repair it. Might be some issue with its kernel :)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
What issue are you facing? Have you tried logging in using a separate tty (Alt+<Function key>)?

I just downloaded the Elementary 6 beta ISO to try in a VM to see what it's like. The whole experience feels a bit weird but I think this is what Mac users are used to. Every default application installed is some form of custom application built by the Elementary guys. It gives the whole OS a very integrated feel a la Mac or Windows. But none of the most common applications you expect with other distros (Firefox, VLC, etc) are not included.

When I try to install Firefox from the AppCenter I get a warning that it's not curated by the Elementary team, like WTF. It does allow to install though.

Might play around a bit and see how I like it. Will install if I think it's good enough to be used as a daily driver.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I switched to fedora, just because the new Gnome supports multi swipe gestures on laptop and the kernal has drivers for my PC. Although some bugs are there, like it does not boot when charger adapter is removed, and rather halts to a black screen.

The look and feel is nice and of a typical linux distro. it is really productive like Mint and stable as well.

i switched to it from mint, after using mint for about 9 months.

sinhead

Broken In
Please recommend a usb wifi reciever compatible with Linux - Debian.
With antenna will be fine. I need it for a desktop.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
That is going to be hard to suggest since most of the major manufacturers of wifi dongles don't provide linux support. I had learned this the hard way when I bought a TP-link wifi dongle.

Looking through Amazon I can see a number of dongles listed to have linux support: Amazon.in : linux compatible wifi adapter

Might want to try these out and see.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Please recommend a usb wifi reciever compatible with Linux - Debian.
With antenna will be fine. I need it for a desktop.

I required a adapter for linux, I got this Generic one

*www.amazon.in/HARDCORE-Wireless-Re...&refinements=p_15:Terabyte&s=computers&sr=1-3

This one is Ok for its price, it may get hot, but atleast it works fine on linux. I checked it on Mint and still use it as many times the drivers of my inbuilt wifi card dont work. It is a known bug since 2015 with intel wifi cards but is not fixed till now.

IMO, The best ones are from Alfa with Ralink chipset. They may go from 8k to 20k since they are imported. They offer best compatibility.

But you can also get this TP link one as @Desmond David Suggested above. The same is also listed at a couple of websites too.

*www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008IFXQ...FXQFU&linkId=165bb901a0118279f383b80ee2702776

*linuxhint.com/linux_compatible_wireless_network_adapters/
*www.fosslinux.com/46681/linux-compatible-wireless-network-adapters.htm

sinhead

Broken In
Thanks guys! I have shortlisted these 3 ;
1. Hardcore mini wi-fi - If it is working on mint, it should work on Debian? or there can be some compatibility issue?

2. TP link - TL-WN725N - n 150 - supports linux as per website, latest reviews on amazon show debian compatible.

3. TP link -TL-WN722N - n150 - hi-gain - supports linux as per website. debian compatible but,all these reviews are old, dating 2017.
Drivers for both on website are from 2018. kernel 4.4.3.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
*www.arcolinux.info/

I liked this idea. This distro is like a book and teaches arch Linux. It has levels and as levels increase, the person becomes more confident with arch.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
*looking-glass.io/

An application that allows running Windows 10 in a window in Linux with almost native performance.

Looking Glass is an open source application that allows the use of a KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine) configured for VGA PCI Pass-through without an attached physical monitor, keyboard or mouse. This is the final step required to move away from dual booting with other operating systems for legacy programs that require high performance graphics.

Apparently, you don't have to mess with the GPU passthrough configuration to get native Windows performance when running as a VM in Linux without a second monitor.

Reddit discussion about this:

aaruni

The Linux Guy
If it is working on mint, it should work on Debian?

Not necessarily. Debian doesn't include many proprietary firmware blobs which most other distros do. It might run fine on mint and ubuntu and still fail to run on debian without a lot of extra work.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Generally, I stick to whatever ships with default in my distro. So, I'm still on pulseaudio, but I'm excited for pipewire.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I had installed linux on an external drive, and it made it usable like a To-Go device. Now I no longer need to use it on 2 Machines, so I am ready to move it to my main machine.

I dont want to reinstall it, as it takes lot of time to update and then install all the required apps, I need to clone it.

I need to save it in my internal Partition and it should be bootable as if it is dualbooted.

I also want it to create boot partition and setup GRUB.

Now one thing which i referred was using DejaDup backup, (I have used it before many times for backing up linux, so I can trust it. ) And then after installing linux again, I will restore it from there. Deja Dup Backs up whole Home folder so it is a reliable one for atleast saving data. But it would again be a bit time taking.

So any other app suggestion which can do the work?

Top Bottom