Linux Discussion Thread

Which OS do you use primarily?

• Total voters

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Apparently the post was being brigaded. However, I am surprised Blizzard does not already have accurate numbers on OS usage of their products.

They were accused of banning WoW players who were running Wine. Though recently I think they fixed that issue.

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Take of that what you may
Well, yeah. Brigading makes sense since we know for a fact that so many Linux users aren't gaming oriented. Though, it doesn't change the fact that the tweet might have put pressure on blizzard to support linux, a thing which fans may have been clamoring for them to do. So, high in numbers or not, we certainly do know there are enthusiastic linux gamers out there. I feel like blizzard should have focused on supporting that niche community more.

Edit: Brigading or not, we know for a fact that 1360 people voted for linux.

Last edited:

khalil1210

In the zone
Successfully installed Ubuntu 20.04 alongside windows 10 for dual boot.

Ubuntu feels way faster than windows 10 in day to day tasks ( browsing webpages, watching youtube ). Is it really fast or I am just feeling it?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Successfully installed Ubuntu 20.04 alongside windows 10 for dual boot.

Ubuntu feels way faster than windows 10 in day to day tasks ( browsing webpages, watching youtube ). Is it really fast or I am just feeling it?

it is indeed, because of the way linux works. Also, in linux u would not find some junk bloat eating resources in the background like in windows

Last edited:

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
IMO Windows slows down on it's own after long term use. But never experienced the same on Linux. If you use wayland the UI runs even smoother.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
IMO Windows slows down on it's own after long term use. But never experienced the same on Linux. If you use wayland the UI runs even smoother.
I agree, and I am a big advocate for linux use but Linux atleast ubuntu based distros are just unstable based on my experience. More so than windows. I'm sure it's gotten a lot better but whenever I encounter a problem in ubuntu based distros, when I Google a solution, you will find out the problem existed since 10 years or worse, multiple bugs cause that said problem.

It's all because of more refined fine grained control, but for a "desktop" use, I'm willing to sacrifice some freedom for stability

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
ubuntu based distros are just unstable
On the contrary, Ubuntu based distros are actually more stable than some other distros such as Arch based distros, though distros like Manjaro offset it a lot. That being said, if you really value stability you should use Debian. It has rock solid stability, almost on par with Red Hat.

The downside with stability in Linux distros is that you will never get the latest updates on time since distro maintainers will only release new versions of packages after they have been thoroughly tested. So you will have to get used to having older versions of software for much later than after they were released. Though you can offset this by bypassing the package manager and installing the latest versions manually.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Wayland is a new display protocol meant to be a replacement for X11. Gnome uses Wayland by default so I guess if you have the latest Ubuntu you would already be using it.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
On the contrary, Ubuntu based distros are actually more stable than some other distros such as Arch based distros, though distros like Manjaro offset it a lot. That being said, if you really value stability you should use Debian. It has rock solid stability, almost on par with Red Hat.

The downside with stability in Linux distros is that you will never get the latest updates on time since distro maintainers will only release new versions of packages after they have been thoroughly tested. So you will have to get used to having older versions of software for much later than after they were released. Though you can offset this by bypassing the package manager and installing the latest versions manually.
It is actually more than that. The lack of "official support" from hardware vendors mean that sometimes things just wont work the way it should out of the box.

For example, I have used my audio dac in mac, windows, android, linux but I faced an issue in Linux where it just played audio with some delay. I found out by installing some third party linux usb control software that the default behaviour of Linux regarding battery powered usb devices is power save mode. So, whenever its not in use, it would just disable the device and when you play some audio, it would first "turn on" the device and then play. I got it working but this is exactly how linux is supposed to be. You have to fiddle around until you find a solution.

Remember, when I googled this issue, I found hundreds of solutions for this particular problem. The fact that there are many solutions means that there may be multiple causes of this issue, I just happened to chance upon the right one.

I can totally understand why people want to steer clear of linux, those that do not have the patience to tinker around.

khalil1210

In the zone
I am not completely new to linux.

I once formatted whole drive while installing ubuntu ( 10 years back ):wah:. I lost a lot of important files.

I setup once dual boot for windows 7 and ubuntu in college but always had wifi issues, so had to remove it.

2 years back, I setup POP OS, but removed it because I was missing windows I guess?

Now I am trying to run ubuntu as daily driver and windows for only gaming. Hope I use it long enough.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The lack of "official support" from hardware vendors mean that sometimes things just wont work the way it should out of the box.
Yeah, that's more of a chicken-and-egg problem. Hardware vendors don't write drivers for Linux because of low number of users and there are low number of users because of lack of hardware support. As such we somehow need to break this cycle. While official driver support might be lacking for very specialized hardware, unofficial support can be found for some. For example there are alternative drivers written by the community. The Linux kernel also comes packed with drivers supporting the most common hardware. For example, few years ago I was able to run my dad's old inkjet printer out of the box on Ubuntu without needing any official HP driver while on Windows you cannot do anything without it.

For example, I have used my audio dac in mac, windows, android, linux but I faced an issue in Linux where it just played audio with some delay. I found out by installing some third party linux usb control software that the default behaviour of Linux regarding battery powered usb devices is power save mode. So, whenever its not in use, it would just disable the device and when you play some audio, it would first "turn on" the device and then play. I got it working but this is exactly how linux is supposed to be. You have to fiddle around until you find a solution.
Could you elaborate which DAC and what utilities you used to diagnose this? I don't think this is the default behaviour of Linux and most likely some idiosyncrasy of the distro you were using. I doubt Linux would detect your DAC as a specialized device, it's likely just another soundcard for it. But yeah when using Linux you have to be prepared to tinker a bit for special cases.

Now I am trying to run ubuntu as daily driver and windows for only gaming. Hope I use it long enough.
I use Linux for gaming as well. I use Steam's Proton to run Windows games on Linux and Wine for games that are not on Steam. Not all games work (ones that use anti-cheat or some specific APIs), so for those I can boot into Windows, but so far I have had very little reason to boot into Windows, hell my anti-virus subscription expired and I never found out for many months. I check *protondb.com to see how compatible any game is with Proton before playing.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
My problem was described in this post. I was using manjaro, not ubuntu, need to make that correction.
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/linux-discussion-thread.204729/post-2380521

It seems it was working out of the box on elementary. As you described, its idiosyncrasy of the distro you were using

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
games I am playing right now are not visible on steam in linux
First you need to enable Steam Play for all titles in settings. By default only curated Windows games will appear in Linux.

1623362566990.png

With this option, all games in your account will be displayed. You should then head over to *protondb.com and search for the game you want to play and check how well it is supported:

• Platinum rated games run out of the box without any major changes required.
  • Gold rated games runs after some tweaks.
  • Silver rated games run but there might be some stability issues.
  • Bronze are not very stable.
  • Borked games do not run at all.

Needless to say games that require anti-cheat or some other specialized dependencies don't run on Linux yet. EAC were in talks with Valve to get it supported in Proton but then EAC got acquired by Epic.

You should prefer playing games available natively for Linux over using Proton if you can help it. But you also have the option of installing the Windows version of a Linux native game in Steam if you want to compare performance or if the native build runs worse than the Windows build. Most Valve games have native Linux versions.

Top Bottom