Linux and windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtvBlitz

Right off the assembly line
I am not yet a linux user. so i dont know much about it. I have all the Digit DVDs contains Linux distributions. I want to know that, is it possible to use windows and linux as dual OS in my computer? I have been using Dell Inspiron laptop. please help me.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Since you are using a Dell laptop, it would contain only one NTFS partition and WinXP must have been installed :(

In that case, it is a bit complicated for you as you may have to go for either a re-install (after a low level format of your hard disk) or a repartition. In both the cases, you will have to be careful and take backup of your important data. FYI, I have tried Knoppix (live distro) on a Dell laptop and it doesn't work :(

Anyway, if you decide on a clean re-install (which is the preferred option) first install Windows and then GNU/Linux. Installing Linux after Windows will also properly configure boot loaders. Everytime your machine starts, you will have to choose which OS to boot into. If you install Windows after Linux, it will overwrite boot loader and then you will have to sit and recover it (which also is not too complicated).

But before proceeding, just check for compatibility of various distros with Dell Laptop.

nixcraft

Journeyman
I use Desktop for all my work no need to use any paid software I can watch TV, burn CDs and connect to net… all this from live CD!

BeingHarsh

Broken In
hi guys, nice dicussion here, i was searching for this from long back
i wanna no can i access the file saved in windows partation when i m in linux
Also, i had tried knoppix live cd. i cud find virus in hard disk n pen drive, but i m not able to delete them. plz help me

Pat

Beyond Smart
^So dude , Why'd u bump a 3 year old post again?

Probably because the Sticky says so :p
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3427

hi guys, nice dicussion here, i was searching for this from long back
i wanna no can i access the file saved in windows partation when i m in linux
Also, i had tried knoppix live cd. i cud find virus in hard disk n pen drive, but i m not able to delete them. plz help me

Which version of knoppix live cd did you try ? I would advice you to use the latest ubuntu for best results. And yes, you can easily access all data from your windows partitions in Linux!

However, to be able to write to ntfs partitions (or to delete files in your case), you would need ntfs-3g.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom