limited or no connectivity on lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

yash

I draw every day
i have conected my dell laptop and compaq pc (both running the same os windows xp home edition sp2) by a lan cable and run the network setup wizard but it says it has limited or no connectivity. there is a repair option but it dosent work. i also want to share the dial-up connection.I had connected my pc and my sister`s laptop before but i just cant seem to get this right.
i had actually got it to work once but then the dialer would come up again and again even when i didnt want it to connect.and the settings were lost the next day when i started the pc. and i cant figure it out again.please tell me how to do it.i am not using any router or hub etc...just a lan cable.

Doc Holliday

Broken In
Hi Yash,

I am assuming that you have run the in-built wizards to do the networking between the two computers.

It seems like you are having problems with the cable/crimping. Make sure you get that done professionally. Like exx said, You will need a crossover cable to connect two computer without using a hub or switch (but you have done this before, right?)

This link tells you how to go about it.

*www.makeitsimple.com/how-to/dyi_crossover.htm

Secondly to share the Internet connection, you can continue using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or you can also use a 3rd party software like Proxy from analog X. If you use Analog X, put in the IP addresses of the computers manually, and specify one as the gateway.

*www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

Lastly, the dialer keeps on popping up as you have enabled that dial-up connection to be shared by all computers. On the computer that has the Internet connection, go to network connection> right click the dial up connection>under properties>advanced tab>Internet connection sharing>Uncheck the box that says "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection."

DH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom