LG Optimus L9 - Short Review

Tenida

Gadget Freak
How to update LG Optimus L9 to Jellybean OS.

*techverdict.com/how-to-update-lg-optimus-l9-4xhd-l7-to-jellybean-os/

Updated LG Optimus L9 to Jellybean OS.

*i.imgur.com/tlTQBFM.jpg
*i.imgur.com/SjnUr3N.jpg
*i.imgur.com/8M4uKxt.jpg
*i.imgur.com/YEUpN2T.jpg
*i.imgur.com/C9L1CWy.jpg

Last edited:

rakeshmarar

Broken In
Hey did you manage to do the update successfully? If yes, please let us know if there are any visible changes in performance or any other tips ? Cant wait to do this !
Edit: PS: My bad, did not check pics earlier :p I am pretty happy with ICS as of know but still would love to upgrade. Just wanted to know how do you guys take a backup of ur phone? Is the default backup app enough or do we need to install a third party app for this ?

Last edited:

Tenida

Gadget Freak
^^

You will get better camera quality, Multi-window like Note II, Google NOW, You can add apps on quick dock and its super smooth better than ICS

rakeshmarar

Broken In
Just installed the upgrade...The phone feels much snappier and faster compared to the previous version. Camera quality is slightly better !

tkin

Back to school!!
I can't get the update to install :banghead:

The update tool crashed after it had downloaded the 575MB update(3hrs to get that) but I thought it was a one time issue, then, I tried the offline force flash using KDZ Updater([GUIDE] FLASH Any LG Factory ROM (kdz) WITH OFFLINE FIX METHOD [UNBRICK] - xda-developers), it accepted the firmware I got from lg servers but it kept crashing everytime it tried to push the firmware to the phone, same thing occurs when I try to trick the LG Update tool into accepting my already downloaded KDZ file(using local server), it also crashes when the phone goes into S/W upgrade mode, so two possibilities, either the phone has some sort of defect which is unlikely as I never encountered any, second option is a conflict, most probably has something to do with my laptop having only usb 3.0 ports.

Anyway I am f****d.

I'll visit the service center this weekend.

Anyone living in hyderabad who owns a L9 and has updated it? :p

Where is Firmware OTA when you really need it?????? :evil:

tkin

Back to school!!
Got JB by using friend's laptop, went like a breeze,

1. Phone is a bit more responsive now, not that it was bad on ICS, but it feels more smooth now(placebo?)
2 .Fonts look a bit worse in a few places, but looks good overall
3. New unlock animations are cool
4. Now I can move apps to the user partition in internal memory, effectively making the app memory 3GB+ which is more than the <2GB we got in ICS
5. Shutdown is a bit slower, but start up is super fast, love the new lockscreen and homescreen wallpapers
6. Also the display looks a lot more colorful now(wrong word?), looks like LG tweaked the display driver a bit
7. The usual stuff is there, including multi tasking on multi windows(which is a gimmick on cell phones anyway), the brightness control widget is gone, replaced by a much more useful slider now, also the new weather widget(accuweather) is just gorgeous.
8. Consumes more RAM by default, project butter? Anyway it doesn't affect performance by much. Looks like I'll do a hard reset soon.

Overall, all I can say for now is that my next phone will be LG for sure.

rakeshmarar

Broken In
@tkin and others who updated to JB, I have been experiencing two problems post upgrade:
1) Charging has become really slow
2) Battery Discharge is pretty fast compared to ICS..Although I occassionally kill background tasks, I have also installed Fast Reboot and Clean Master to free up RAM. Still the battery discharge is pretty quick. I dunno if I am missing something here. Brightness in daytime is kept at 30% and almost nil at night. No live wallpapers, Data & Sync enabled (only gmail and whatsapp in settings checked)
Can you guys please share how you all conserve your battery and if I am missing something ?

tkin

Back to school!!
@tkin and others who updated to JB, I have been experiencing two problems post upgrade:
1) Charging has become really slow
2) Battery Discharge is pretty fast compared to ICS..Although I occassionally kill background tasks, I have also installed Fast Reboot and Clean Master to free up RAM. Still the battery discharge is pretty quick. I dunno if I am missing something here. Brightness in daytime is kept at 30% and almost nil at night. No live wallpapers, Data & Sync enabled (only gmail and whatsapp in settings checked)
Can you guys please share how you all conserve your battery and if I am missing something ?
1. No issue here.
2. JB draws a bit more battery than ICS, its normal, I still get 2 days with some calls and 2hrs browsing and 1hr video etc.

rakeshmarar

Broken In
I am still facing the fast battery discharge problem. I have kept sync on only for gmail and whatsapp for rest apps, auto sync is off,. Also, i have set option only to use the phone on 2g network. Barely use 50 percent brightness in daylight. Can some please redirect me to any link that would give practical tips on saving battery life.

when I try to go for JB with the LG pc suite by clicking on check for device update, it says not enough storage space, i have around 1.3 gb free internal memory, how to fix it?

rakeshmarar

Broken In
@above, me too facing the same problem even after updating to JB. I have installed a loud caller tune from zedge however.

pratyush997

Inactive
LG Optimus L9 P765 Sound issue.....Is anybody experiencing low sound even when phone is set @ maximum volume......is there any way to make my mobile sound better (at least to some extent)...BTW i have updated to JB

@above, me too facing the same problem even after updating to JB. I have installed a loud caller tune from zedge however.
I don't think any app can enhance it, kernel tweaks can fix it though I ain't sure.

Top Bottom