Lenovo Jumps Into Netbook Fray With IdeaPad S10

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more to cram into the already crowded netbook arena:

Looking to get in on the hot low-price notebook market, Lenovo is launching its own bargain laptop offering to compete with small notebooks, such as the MSI Wind and Eee PC. The new laptop, the IdeaPad S10, will ship in October in time for the Christmas season. It will retail starting at $399.
About its config:

10" Screen
1" thick
Keyboard 85% the size of a normal one

It can be ordered in "classic white", "bold black", or glossy "ruby red". The white models will have a grayed base.
A couple steps are taken with the design to insure long battery life, a big concern for ultra-portables. First, it uses LEDs to backlight the LCD more effectively than traditional designs. Secondly, it uses Intel's popular Atom processor, in particular the 1.6 GHz N270 with a 945 GSE express chipset.
Operating System:
The notebook will be sold in two different configurations. The first has 512 MB of memory and an 80 GB hard drive. The second, which likely be priced somewhat higher, ups the memory to 1 GB and features a 160 GB hard drive. No solid state drive options have been announced yet. Both configurations come with Windows XP preinstalled, courtesy of Microsoft's stay of retirement on XP for ultra-portables.
THE GOOD PART:
Lenovo also hinted that some countries will have 9 inch screen smaller version available and that Linux preinstalls would also be available in some countries. It is unclear whether the U.S. will get any of these options.
Meaning we might get a cheaper and lighter version with linux :D

Read Full Article Here:
*www.dailytech.com/Lenovo+Jumps+Into+Netbook+Fray+With+IdeaPad+S10/article12570.htm

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
very cool......ideapad s9 and s10 both look cool too.

1.3mp webcam,bluetooth,wifi etc....for the price rocks.

and i know someone who is already waiting eagerly to buy the ideapad s10 :D

Well, I am the guy most looking forward to working on one of these, since at 16K, a 9" screen, 80GB HDD, 512MB RAM, Atom 1.6GHz and Linux would be the perfect thing for me. Its definitely cheaper and more VFM than most other things. Add to it the fact that this is not the original config, which has windows xp and 10" screen. This is the secondary config which might show up in some countries and hopefully India. Since its expected to be atleast 50$ cheaper than 399$, we can hope that it would BE 399$ in India :D

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^Abhinandh was referring to me MetalHead.

And according to Tech2.com

The IdeaPad netbooks will be available in September in India at all Lenovo authorized storefronts, for approximately Rs. 15, 000 for the S9 and Rs. 17,000 for the S10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom