[Complaint] Lenovo Ideapad: Horrible, Horrible after sales service

Vijay N

Right off the assembly line
Lenovo's after sales service is the worst I have ever experienced across all product/ service categories. Nothing thus far had pushed me enough to rant about it on online.

I purchased a Lenovo Ideapad Z580 laptop 10 months ago. I was offered a free 3 year warranty upgrade as per Lenovo's "Do Shield" promotion. This was one of the reasons I chose Lenovo over other brands (A decision I've come to deeply regret). I had no clue their ‘warranty’ was actually a cruel joke on unsuspecting customers.

In May 2013, one of the hinges connecting the LCD screen to the laptop body broke. I went ahead and registered a complaint with Lenovo tech support on 20th May 2013. I was told that the problem would be attended to within 48 hours. I waited for one whole week and got no response from Lenovo. On following up with Lenovo service, I was informed that it will take one more month since the parts are not available in India and have to be sourced from China. After following up numerous times, the problem was fixed on June 13, 2013 - 23 days after my service request was registered.

This turned out to be just the beginning of my woes with Lenovo. Within a week of this repair job, my screen started flickering eventually going completely blank white. I registered another complaint with Lenovo tech support on July 2, 2013 and was again told that I will get a response within 48 hrs. Just like the previous occasion, I waited for one week and got no response. On following up with tech support I was given the same old answer that the part has to be sourced from China and can take up to 45 days. However, I was assured that my case would be taken up on priority and resolved by 31st July. That deadline too lapsed and the same story was repeated on following up on at least 4 more occasions where I was told the service person would visit the following day but nobody showed up.

On 23rd August when I called to follow up again, I was told that the service request has been closed! On checking their facebook page I realized they were doing this to a number of other customers as well. I suspect this is some kind of a scam where they deliberately close long pending service requests without any action from their side so that the atrocious delay doesn't reflect in their records
As of today, 56 days after my complaint was registered, it still remains unresolved.

Lenovo's India webiste very proudly announces that their MD is just an email away. However there has been no response to the two emails dated 3rd August and 19th August that I sent him.
View attachment 11953

I am truly amazed that any company can get by with this level of apathy towards customers. Anybody in the market for a laptop and considering Lenovo – You've been warned!

Sno QB05487873
Complaint no. 7005366867(Closed without any action from lenonvo!)

Last edited by a moderator:

RON28

Cyborg Agent
sad to see that after sales of service sucks, why companies don't understand that people have invested their hard earned money and they have right to get a positive after sales service.

if your laptop is in warranty you can approach Consumer court.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
@Vijay N ,follow Ron's suggestion...
but you may try here at first : Akosha

Gollum

Collector
lenovo A.s.s. sucks even HP has same ...
except dell every laptop company has poor service in India

True that, they don't trust the customers. Customer are also chalak, trying to scam money out of the company's.
In their attempt of being extra clever they delay service and try to cut costs all the time.

rouble

Journeyman
We don't share our good experiences..Do we??
I think many of us here own a Lenovo and might have been through Lenovo A.S.S and came out satisfied but they won't tell..Human Nature after all and honestly speaking, I am no different.
So here goes my story with Lenovo..yes Finally :-D
Last month i.e. in July, I bought a Lenovo Z580(i3 3rd gen, 2gb ram, DOS) laptop from a local shop here for 30k.
I was very very happy with the laptop, the looks, the color, the sound system and the heat dissipation, everything was great but after 3 days of my operating it, I thought the keyboard had some problem, the problem was that the upper side of the keyboard i.e. where the function keys are, the keyboard was not stable and wasn't fixed properly, upon googling, I came to know that the term for this is Keyboard Flex, So I immediately wrote to them on FB explaining about my problem, they then escalated my complaint to the respective department and the person who handled my case was so courteous and quick to respond that not for once I felt that there will be any problem in my case, and since I had bought the laptop only a few days back, he promised me that I will either get the replacement laptop or the full refund, I was ok with either.First they told me to convert the carry in warranty to on site warranty, which was done very swiftly, then the engineer courtesy Tata Elxsi came to my home, though he was dumb and didn't know anything what he was doing, so after he gave me the service report, everything went very smooth.To cut the story short I got the problem solved in 15 days flat and they gave me the refund money through a check.
No problem what so ever.
Now as far as my experience goes, their A.S.S is the best I have ever experienced after using different electronic brands in my life.Now maybe I live in Delhi, that's why everything was done so fast or maybe it was new or whatever the reason is.

And when I was again back in the market to see laptops, I checked if the same problem exists in other Lenovo laptops too and to my surprise, every Lenovo laptop had some amount of Keyboard flex in it, so after using so many Lenovos in around 4-5 big stores I came to the conclusion that it wasn't a problem at all but see they still gave me the refund and solved my problem as their customer was not satisfied.
I then went with a Samsung, simply because I needed a GPU this time and a matte screen, so Sammy fit the bill perfectly for me.Still miss the Lenovo Keyboard and the dolby sound system :-(

Now to the OP, I really feel for you, it is very painful to not get the quality of service even after spending a hell lot of money and I really hope your problem gets solved very soon and If nothing works then consumer court is always with you.
P.S. I was just telling my experience.No hard feelings.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
^At least an assured & positive experience shared.
Thank you Friend.
Fact is that all manufacturers of Laptops has some problem in dealing with their customers(unlucky ones) at some point of time.In that case its never judicious to jump into conclusions that the company or the product is bad.
We feel sorry for OP of being harassed,and my feelings lies with him.He must take a stern action against his harrowing experience.
OP these are not hard feelings or comments against you,but at the same time we must not generalise the bad incident that occured with you.

ankush28

Bazinga
I agree that we dont share good experience but have look at bad experiance compare lenovo vs. dell (though dell is littlebit overpriced in laptops :p )

OP
V

Vijay N

True that, they don't trust the customers. Customer are also chalak, trying to scam money out of the company's.
In their attempt of being extra clever they delay service and try to cut costs all the time.

If that is the case I don't see how denying service to the vast majority of genuine customers and losing their goodwill and repeat business in order to weed out a few deviant ones makes sound business logic. I am sure most customers spending their hard earned money do so in the hope that they will never need to contact support and not with the intention of conning the manufacturer.

We don't share our good experiences..Do we??

Now to the OP, I really feel for you, it is very painful to not get the quality of service even after spending a hell lot of money and I really hope your problem gets solved very soon and If nothing works then consumer court is always with you.
P.S. I was just telling my experience.No hard feelings.

I understand that it is entirely possible to have drastically different experiences in dealing with the same company. I don't know if its true but one of the tech support reps did mention that the support function was only recently transitioned from IBM to Lenovo. As I mentioned in my original post, one of the key reasons why I chose Lenovo was the free warranty extension offer. With these kind of timelines(2 months without any service) that warranty becomes meaningless. If I was aware that there is even 10% chance of having such a bad experience I might have made a different choice at the time of buying.

Thank you all for your thoughts and support. Wish me better luck with this in the future :)

rouble

Journeyman
I understand that it is entirely possible to have drastically different experiences in dealing with the same company. I don't know if its true but one of the tech support reps did mention that the support function was only recently transitioned from IBM to Lenovo. As I mentioned in my original post, one of the key reasons why I chose Lenovo was the free warranty extension offer. With these kind of timelines(2 months without any service) that warranty becomes meaningless. If I was aware that there is even 10% chance of having such a bad experience I might have made a different choice at the time of buying.

Thank you all for your thoughts and support. Wish me better luck with this in the future :)

What can I say except that you are unlucky here..Really sad but hoping that your long pending issue gets solved at the earliest and you never get to face this kind of trouble again in the future..Best of luck buddy!!

OP
V

Vijay N

In all fairness I should report that after more than three months going back and forth with Lenovo, my problem has been resolved to my satisfaction as Lenovo has accepted the machine as DoA and processed the refund. If Lenovo had been as proactive during the two-three months they left me stranded without any service this situation could have been averted. Anyway as they say "All's well that ends well"

Top Bottom