Latest Mac Security Threat Turns Out to Be a Joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
Latest Mac Security Threat Turns Out to Be a Joke

- Yet again...

*news.softpedia.com/images/news2/Latest-Mac-Security-Threat-Turns-Out-To-Be-A-Joke-2.jpg

Mac security threats have come to follow a very precise and highly dysfunctional pattern. Security researchers and firms keep warning that the platform is not secure and that users need to start taking security seriously or face impending doom. Then somebody comes up with a proof of concept exploit that is about as dangerous as powdered milk which everybody in the media jumps on and regurgitates with the mandatory embellishments, until everybody knows about the new serious Mac security threat. At this point, Mac users ask for the dirt, demanding to see proof of this real life exploit that could actually pose a threat to anybody beyond the creator’s local network. Invariably, the so-called security threat turns out to be nothing but a proof of concept and there is a backlash from the security experts that go back to saying that Mac users don’t take security seriously.

Such is the case of the latest security threat and it mimics others before it. The so-called worm is said to exploit a vulnerability in mDNSResponder, a component of Apple's Bonjour automatic network configuring service, but it turned out to be nothing. Not only was the so-called worm non threatening, but the maker did not even bother to actually produce it.

To top things off, InfoSec’s blog, where the worm was announced has recently undergone a metamorphosis and has been renamed to 'Security Information...' a process in which it also lost all previous posts.

Computerworld reports the contents of the reply they received: "Blog was hijacked somehow. Also the blog stating I am associated with PHC on another Blog is false and a myth created by Dave Maynor who is involved in the hijacking of the Blog."

Incredibly enough, the security blog was hijacked by hackers and none other than the infamous David Maynor, who is well known for his Mac WiFi exploit that actually involved a third party wireless card and drivers when all Macs come with built-in wireless from Apple.
So it looks like this security threat, just like all the others before it have turned out to be no more than smoke and powdered milk. Considering that this is not the first time that non-issues have been turned into serious security threats, how can Mac users actually take security seriously? There have even been cases where the software designed to eliminate the so-called worm actually ended up doing far more damage than the worm ever did, because of false positives.

Do security companies think that Mac users are stupid? Does the media truly have nothing better to do than call bomb scares every time they hear a clock on the Apple campus? How can Mac users be expected to actually take warning seriously if a true threat does come up, considering the track record so far?

Computer security is an important matter, but the people responsible for it have turned it into a joke and Mac users are just not laughing.

Source: *news.softpedia.com/news/Latest-Mac-Security-Threat-Turns-Out-To-Be-A-Joke-60397.shtml

well, mac may not be as secure as other *nixes, but compare it to windows and it is still secure enough. But it does need a Real time Scanner to block some holes which had to come with its user-friendliness.

@arya: what AVs do you guys use on macs? windows users prefer kaspersky, norton, avg, avast, etc while linux guys use clam-av and avast mainly. what about you mac owners?

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
@arya: what AVs do you guys use on macs? windows users prefer kaspersky, norton, avg, avast, etc while linux guys use clam-av and avast mainly. what about you mac owners?
Why would someone want to use anti-virus applications when there are no viruses in the first place! :)

Why would someone want to use anti-virus applications when there are no viruses in the first place! :)
ofcource there are. You do have a few loopholes by which you can execute processes without permission.
And I didn't mean just antiviruses, I also include security software.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Maybe 0.5% Mac users worldwide use security software. The rest do not.

I just have the default firewall turned on. That's it.

Loopholes or not, the fact is that there isn't a single virus out there. So why install stupid applications that slow down your system. :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Well, you must be brave... anyway, this question was directed at macboys, not winboys or linboys or solboys or bsdboys.
As a matter of fact macboys are "bsdboys"!!! Mac OS runs a BSD-derived core. So if there are viruses for BSD there are viruses for mac. The loopholes are due to suid which eases things and prevents the permission system sometimes. So an AV will NOT help in pluggin loopholes, if any.

OP
nepcker

nepcker

Proud Mac Pro Owner
I don't have any security software installed on my Mac.

@infra_red_dude:
No, not all macboys are "bsdboys". There might just be a macboy running Mac OS 9.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I don't have any security software installed on my Mac.
You don't need any Jus patch the system if any loophole has been found and plugged, in case; as you mebbe doing :)

@infra_red_dude:
No, not all macboys are "bsdboys". There might just be a macboy running Mac OS 9.
Oops! Point! You got me!! :D But in that case Mac OS 9 and earlier ones are still safe.. rather safer than the current gen "mac-bsd boys!" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom