Laptops with IPS panel + both SSD and HDD + memory extendable to 16GB

banskt

Broken In
As the title says, what are my options when I restrict my criteria with these must-haves?

• 14" -- 15.6"
  • IPS panel
  • both SSD and HDD bays (SSD could be in m.2 slot)
  • option to extend memory to 16GB or more

The laptop would be used for following:
  • Programming - FORTRAN, JAVA, C++, Android Studio (35%)
  • Professional Graphic design - Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign (35%)
  • Image editing - Photoshop (10%)
  • Entertainment - movies (10%) - Kodi/XBMC, web browsing(10%)

Budget: No fixed budget, looking for the best value-for-money.

Operating System: Dual boot with Ubuntu (from programming / entertainment) and Windows 7.1 (graphic design / image editing). I would prefer DOS, but anything is possible since I am going to remove whatever comes default, and install my own.

Last edited:
This is vague........

The answer ranges from Thinkpads to Alienwares.......that much vague.

While you did mention that you need all of this in minimum budget possible, it will be helpful if you can tell us the usage scenario.

Last edited:
OP
banskt

banskt

Broken In
This is vague........

The answer ranges from Thinkpads to Alienwares.......that much vague.

While you did mention that you need all of this in minimum budget possible, it will be helpful if you can tell us the usage scenario.

Updated my original post with usage.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
As the title says, what are my options when I restrict my criteria with these must-haves?

• 14" -- 15.6"
  • IPS panel
  • both SSD and HDD bays (SSD could be in m.2 slot)
  • option to extend memory to 16GB or more

The laptop would be used for following:
  • Programming - FORTRAN, JAVA, C++, Android Studio (35%)
  • Professional Graphic design - Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign (35%)
  • Image editing - Photoshop (10%)
  • Entertainment - movies (10%) - Kodi/XBMC, web browsing(10%)

Budget: No fixed budget, looking for the best value-for-money.

Operating System: Dual boot with Ubuntu (from programming / entertainment) and Windows 7.1 (graphic design / image editing). I would prefer DOS, but anything is possible since I am going to remove whatever comes default, and install my own.

Ask for a quote from AZOM SYSTEMS

OP
banskt

banskt

Broken In
What else would they use? No other OEM has that much upgradeable laptops.
Thats a great news. I didn't know there were Clevo resellers in India. Let me know if there are any other resellers. I am gonna get a P751ZM / P651SG barebones, depending on the price they ask.

If you want to go for a non Azom system(although if their price is right, go for it....), you can check System76. Their Galago UltraPro is a good one, and since you also code in FORTRAN....well I think you will love Crystalwell, specifically for the large L4 cache and coherent heterogeneous programming between/using Iris and main CPU. The barebone they are using is available with other boutique builders too.

@vi

Journeyman
Ask for a quote from AZOM SYSTEMS
I really don't like filling a form, just to get the quote :/

how is the ASS of AZOM?

If you want to go for a non Azom system(although if their price is right, go for it....), you can check System76. Their Galago UltraPro is a good one, and since you also code in FORTRAN....well I think you will love Crystalwell, specifically for the large L4 cache and coherent heterogeneous programming between/using Iris and main CPU. The barebone they are using is available with other boutique builders too.
Is System76 available in India? Links?

OP
banskt

banskt

Broken In
Just for info, I have checked with Azom, and the only barebone they have is P150SM-A. They do not provide any other barebones / configurations at present.

Unfortunately, this barebone do not have an IPS panel.

Top Bottom